Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Von be gone next year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Could Von be gone next year?

    I was just looking at Von's contract, and it looks like there's a club option to let him go that would allow the Broncos to save a lot of money and a decent amount of cap space. On the other hand, if the Broncos keep him he's going to cost a lot of money and cap space. Basically we're talking QB numbers. So, based off his down season this year and his age, do you guys think Elway parts ways with Von? Feels like a very distinct possibility to me.

    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-b...n-miller-7717/

  • #2
    Hmm. I didn't realize 2020 and 2021 were club options. I always thought he was back for sure, but now that you bring it up and I take a closer look, he very well could be gone. I'm surprised none of the Denver media guys have discussed this, at least that I've seen.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not a big student of contracts until people start putting up the info here, but it seems like the Broncos always shoot for contract restructures for people in Von's position. IMO - that's what we will see happen. I think Von can still be very productive, and also teach our younger guys. That being said, yeah I think it is very possible that Von could go if he refuses to restructure and wants to push for a big payday somewhere else.

      It seems that high profile players have a lot more leverage than they used to.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's going to be a conversation for sure but there are a lot of non-football reasons why they probably just play it out. I expect Wolfe to be back for some of the same reasons.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hopefully he is gone. Not worth his salary.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am the furthest thing from the typical VON apologists we encounter here at the mane, quite the opposite.
            But I was touched by a recent story of VON donating a very special chair to a very special young lady.
            I was touched.
            I mention this here because I think it may play a part in VONS decision.
            re-tructure or TEST the market and CHOOSE your franchise.
            Only von knows, but I agree he is NOT worth the terms of a continued contract.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, the cap $ and the real year $ are two different number. I think Elway would keep Von since it was his first pick.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 69bronco View Post
                Hopefully he is gone. Not worth his salary.
                The problem seems to me to be that he's not going to play with a lot of fire on a ****ty team. I suspect that, if this team was competing for the playoffs, you would see different results. Given that the team is at least 2 years out from being any real sort of competitor, I don't see the point of keeping him.

                But if they were going to move on from him, wouldn't they trade him rather than declining an option?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unless we've got another offseason appetite for free agency, I can't see the point. Half his cap hit would be dead money. Plus, not like we're flush with depth.

                  Year after would make sense. Unless he really starts to click in this system.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by manchambo View Post

                    The problem seems to me to be that he's not going to play with a lot of fire on a ****ty team. I suspect that, if this team was competing for the playoffs, you would see different results. Given that the team is at least 2 years out from being any real sort of competitor, I don't see the point of keeping him.

                    But if they were going to move on from him, wouldn't they trade him rather than declining an option?
                    VON has earned his "freedom" the right to choose his next team, IF he does move on.
                    Does he have a chicken farm in Texas ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                      Hmm. I didn't realize 2020 and 2021 were club options. I always thought he was back for sure, but now that you bring it up and I take a closer look, he very well could be gone. I'm surprised none of the Denver media guys have discussed this, at least that I've seen.
                      Lol I’ve literally been saying it for a while now. Even use the link as the proof of the out. IMO it won’t be next year, but maybe the year after they move on.

                      they will have to figure out what they want to do. Chubb will cost a ton in a few years. Von isn’t going to take a team discount in a few years either. He will want to maximize whatever he can get at an older age.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post

                        VON has earned his "freedom" the right to choose his next team, IF he does move on.
                        Does he have a chicken farm in Texas ?
                        He’s a massive Cowboys fan and wanted them to draft him even if it meant lower in the round. My guess is he would choose Cowboys if they showed any interest when the time comes.

                        DWare showed the value you can get late in careers from such a player. Bet it was hard for Jerry to Watch Ware win a SB with another team.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Anything is possible. I don't see it happening though until at least 2021.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It's not like we're going to be cap-strapped, might as well keep him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cmhargrove View Post
                              I'm not a big student of contracts until people start putting up the info here, but it seems like the Broncos always shoot for contract restructures for people in Von's position. IMO - that's what we will see happen. I think Von can still be very productive, and also teach our younger guys. That being said, yeah I think it is very possible that Von could go if he refuses to restructure and wants to push for a big payday somewhere else.

                              It seems that high profile players have a lot more leverage than they used to.
                              A restructure seems likely, I agree. That said, if Elway and Von can't come to terms on a deal I won't be surprised to see them opt out of the rest of his contract.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X