Vegan Athletes - Game Changers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan Athletes - Game Changers

Been quite a buzz around the web over this movie/documentary so just wanted to see what people on this board thought. I watched it and thought it did make some really good points, but I also thought alot of it was speculation and unproven theory or facts based on incomplete or inferior studies where no controlled groups were used, small sample size, non-double blind, etc.

I don't think anybody is disputing we all should be eating more plants in our diets, but they didn't convince me that there isn't a need for healthy animal protein sources such as Salmon, Turkey, Eggs, etc.

Thoughts?

I’m halfway through it. It is interesting, and wouldn’t be surprised if more pros start to follow that diet.

Comment

Haven’t seen the show but think you can probably do it if you have a pro nutritionist alongside. Tried veganism for 3 weeks and vegetarianism for 10 more and as someone who has weight trained regularly it really fell apart doing this, probably because I wasn’t getting the right amino acids. I sure ate everything I could but I’d be sick at the gym within 10 minutes of my regular 90 min workout. My entire body composition felt different, like the glue that held my muscle fibers together was just melting away. I couldn’t continue. But we should eat less meat.. I’ve hardly touched beef the last several years. You also don’t need nearly as much protein as is popular to maintain your lean muscle mass and add definition, and not that much more to add more muscle.

What’s good for the planet is generally what’s good for our bodies as well, within reason. But if you’re a weightlifter that isn’t rolling in cash to get all the right supplements... it’s gonna be tough to ditch meat completely. I think science will change that soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Haven’t seen the show but think you can probably do it if you have a pro nutritionist alongside. Tried veganism for 3 weeks and vegetarianism for 10 more and as someone who has weight trained regularly it really fell apart doing this, probably because I wasn’t getting the right amino acids. I sure ate everything I could but I’d be sick at the gym within 10 minutes of my regular 90 min workout. My entire body composition felt different, like the glue that held my muscle fibers together was just melting away. I couldn’t continue. But we should eat less meat.. I’ve hardly touched beef the last several years. You also don’t need nearly as much protein as is popular to maintain your lean muscle mass and add definition, and not that much more to add more muscle.

What’s good for the planet is generally what’s good for our bodies as well, within reason. But if you’re a weightlifter that isn’t rolling in cash to get all the right supplements... it’s gonna be tough to ditch meat completely. I think science will change that soon enough.
        2200RMR + 500-600/90min lift + 250 to build....

2950- 3050 would be a muscle gain day for me at 6’2 190-195... that is a full time job getting enough calories through a vegan diet, and you almost can’t do that w/o shakes, powders and those may not really be vegan.

Im gonna watch that, it sounds interesting

Comment

essential amino acids come from fed meat.
          We are carnivores by design.
          The lead wolf is not a vegan
          but the lead gorilla a closer relative is a vegan.same with the chimpanzee,' Put a griizzly on a vegan diet and get back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
            essential amino acids come from fed meat.
            We are carnivores by design.
            The lead wolf is not a vegan
            but the lead gorilla a closer relative is a vegan.same with the chimpanzee,' Put a griizzly on a vegan diet and get back to me.
            Chimps eat meat. The key is a balanced diet.

Comment

chimps our closest relative do eat meat.
              My uncle Larry is my closest relative and he eats at ARBY'S
              I learned that red meat provides TWO essential amino acids required by humans that can be found in no other natural food source.
              But I also learned that 4 servings of dairy and bread were a good idea too !

Comment

eat well die happy.

Comment

Great movie.
                  I thought the plant based Impossible Whopper would be a healthier choice until I found out it has more fat and sodium in it than a real meat Whopper. Its all marketing and fooling people into thinking they are eating healthy.
                  Go to pubmed if you want to see the overwhelming research in favor of a PBWF diet for disease prevention.
                  Meat, eggs and dairy= Cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

Comment

We are omnivores.

sigh

Ever notice the leanest, fastest and smartest in the animal kingdom are the carnivores and omnivores?

We have k9 teeth. Can always tell what the diet of animal is based on its dental structure.

Herbivores have chambered stomachs. We do not.

Comment

The moral of the story: Eat meat and get Erectile Dysfunction

Comment

Kapernick is a good example.

Comment

I’ve never met a vegan who wasn’t annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                            chimps our closest relative do eat meat.
                            My uncle Larry is my closest relative and he eats at ARBY'S
                            I learned that red meat provides TWO essential amino acids required by humans that can be found in no other natural food source.
                            But I also learned that 4 servings of dairy and bread were a good idea too !
                            No. They eat meat. Probably Arby's too.

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaBronco13 View Post

No. They eat meat. Probably Arby's too.
                              yes. I said that, Arby's line one.

Comment

Working...
                              X