• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway/ Guardian Article

Didn’t see this post anywhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...er-broncos-nfl

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
    Seems a bit overly negative regarding the team as a whole. If we had a top tier QB we'd be a contender with our current roster. Elway's biggest problems are QB and OL. Outside of that he's fine. The issue is that he's so bad when it comes to QB and OL that no matter how well he does in other areas the team is doomed. And it's not just about drafting. He's bad with both positions in pretty much every way: draft, free agency, and general development.

Comment

“Is it possible that executives can be good then become bad?”

exactly what I’ve been saying for 4 years now. Some believe the quote above. Others here flat out deny it and are living in the past.

Comment

Decent article. Kinda lost me on the point about our only offensive head coach being Kubiak in a stretch where the defense clearly carried the team. Whatever relevance he's trying to attach to that, I think is misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

Seems a bit overly negative regarding the team as a whole. If we had a top tier QB we'd be a contender with our current roster. Elway's biggest problems are QB and OL. Outside of that he's fine. The issue is that he's so bad when it comes to QB and OL that no matter how well he does in other areas the team is doomed. And it's not just about drafting. He's bad with both positions in pretty much every way: draft, free agency, and general development.
          To add to this, Scotch is also just too stubborn with his offensive ideology. Or lack there of it.
          Which plays into the above failings.

Comment

I don’t need to read an article to know that elway is a nobody without manning.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

A competent Executive/ Manager knows their weaknesses... being in some resources that have proven their ability to pick O-line... decent QB pick elude teams for decades, some of it is a numbers game, and luck. I will say the ones we have drafted/ brought in outside of Manning have been low chance success guys... thats in Elway

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

exactly what I’ve been saying for 4 years now. Some believe the quote above. Others here flat out deny it and are living in the past.
                That's weak. I think it's much more likely that they just miss on guys instead of 'becoming bad'. Lot's of teams miss on QB's, it's a crap shoot at best. He doesn't miss on OL as much as many people think. He hit on Risner, he hit on McGovern. It's f'n tough to find a good QB. That said, I don't agree on bringing in all the retreads, but at least they haven't been all out all in contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

That's weak. I think it's much more likely that they just miss on guys instead of 'becoming bad'. Lot's of teams miss on QB's, it's a crap shoot at best. He doesn't miss on OL as much as many people think. He hit on Risner, he hit on McGovern. It's f'n tough to find a good QB. That said, I don't agree on bringing in all the retreads, but at least they haven't been all out all in contracts.
                  Rofl...

OL draft misses (3rd round and above):
                  Orlando Franklin (debatable, but he didn't get a second contract and was never better than mediocre)
                  Michael Schofield
                  Ty Sambrailo
                  Garett Bolles

OL draft hits (3rd round and above)
                  Dalton Risner (wow, one hit! woohoo!)

OL free agent signings in recent years:
                  Ronald Leary - Okay when healthy, but hasn't stayed healthy and had health issues before we signed him.
                  Donald Stephenson - Complete dog ****.
                  Menelik Watson - Complete dog ****.
                  Ja'Wuan James - Can't stay healthy, and had a history of injuries before we signed him.

Elway's about as bad is it gets when it comes to acquiring OL talent. We have one of the best OL coaches in the league in Munchak, and even he is struggling to make this unit worth a damn.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post

So players can become bad. Yet personnel people cannot? “Missing” is an ingredient of them not being good anymore. Becoming stale and not adapting to the changes of football. You lost me at OL. This team has poured countless resources/draft picks into OL for 9 years and you only come up with 2 names(3 with Paradis)? That’s telling. He’s been even worse in FA than drafting OL. James Leary Okung Stephenson Watson etc. all with people saying those weren’t good ideas the day they were signed due to lack of skill, or the common theme with all of them, injury. He rewarded another teams cast off injured OL yet couldn’t even reward his own in Paradis because of injury concern? Makes no sense.

I’ll stand by that statement. Most GMs don’t get a 9 year blueprint of work with one team, they are usually fired when losing seasons start stacking up and things go bad unless it’s an Owner/GM.

Comment

Landing Manning was hard, and Elway made sure the Broncos got their man.
                      Many teams tried and failed.

After all, Elway has been here before. He built one Super Bowl team on the back of Manning’s arm, but that team was smoked by the Seahawks. Elway promptly regrouped, and the Broncos were back in the Super Bowl two years later with a radically different team.

Twenty seven players played 30% of the snaps or more in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks. Only seven of those players remained when the team returned to the Super Bowl two years later, and beat the Carolina Panthers.
                      He built two different SB teams in a very short time.

Comment

The funniest takes are giving a gimpy old Manning credit like he’s some kind of free agent magnet. He never was a FA magnet in Indy. He was known for like 9 one-and-dones. Now all of the sudden FA’s want to play with an old crippled QB that always choked in his prime? Come on, man. Think.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Its as if this is your sole purpose in life. BANG THAT DRUM.....
                          ****ing tool...

Comment

The bad picks wouldn't be so bad if the team evaluated the talent afterwards, was honest and cut bait when they saw fail. Years of lies with Schofield, Sambraillo, Bolles, Lynch, Osweiler etc...they just keep prancing the crap on the field telling us how much better they are.

Comment

Elway sucks at OL and QB. OL is no freaking excuse. There have been so many obvious moves that Elway ****ed up I have no faith in him there unless he lets his assistance pick the players. His infatuation with thinking he can win a SB Brad Johnson or Dilfer style consistently is a recipe for where Denver is.

Comment

Working...
                              X