• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander Johnson PFF’s AFC Defensive Player of the Month

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/a...-month-october

A little hope for the future.

Comment

Dude has been a great surprise for this defense.

Comment

Comment

I like Fangio but he ****ed up going with Jewel and Nelson over AJ, Who played better then both in preseason. Just cause Nelson has time in the field didn’t make him better, and jewell not even close to AJ.

scary part is without injuries does AJ even get this much time on the field or would he just be wasted on STs?

I was screaming for VJ to play him too. All the rape stuff took away some good years, but you can see the talent way back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
            I like Fangio but he ****ed up going with Jewel and Nelson over AJ, Who played better then both in preseason. Just cause Nelson has time in the field didn’t make him better, and jewell not even close to AJ.

scary part is without injuries does AJ even get this much time on the field or would he just be wasted on STs?

I was screaming for VJ to play him too. All the rape stuff took away some good years, but you can see the talent way back then.
            The good news is that Fangio recognizes what wasn’t working on D (not just with Johnson) and made adjustments to fix it. Nobodies perfect, but he’s shown a willingness to accept mistakes and make adjustments, which is a promising sign.

Comment

Good god some of you guys are negative.

I get that most want to hate anything Elway/Fangio related but Fangio has said nothing but great things about AJ, only that he was green from not playing much over the past 3-4 years. I think a large part of his development is attributed to the coaches you guys hate!

side note, this is why you don’t draft some positions early like RB, ILB, OLB in a 3-4, or interior line. You can always draft or find and develop talent there.

either way, happy to see AJ doing well, he’s been a revelation.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post

I get that most want to hate anything Elway/Fangio related but Fangio has said nothing but great things about AJ, only that he was green from not playing much over the past 3-4 years. I think a large part of his development is attributed to the coaches you guys hate!

side note, this is why you don’t draft some positions early like RB, ILB, OLB in a 3-4, or interior line. You can always draft or find and develop talent there.

To be fair, DB qualified his statement by saying he liked Fangio. That said, I agree to an extent. AJ outplaying guys in preseason isn’t a cut-and-dry thing to evaluate. AJ was playing against backups, and how many backups have we seen perform as preseason All-Pros who never amounted to much (*cough* Sloter *cough*). As I said, the good news is that Fangio adjusted relatively quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post

Come on man, read my post. My post even made clear that I like Fangio. Fangio obviously isn’t stupid. But don’t let your stupidity stop you from pissing on the page.

I kept posting his machine gun gif last year barking for VJ to play him. From the moment he made that crazy play in the backfield last preseason(and his college years) you knew he was going to at least bring intensity.

for those that forgot the gif:

Click image for larger version  Name:	bxdg4.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	2518666

just mowing opponents down.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Unsure what happened but there is a lot of backend stuff that we don’t know about that leads to things that don’t make sense on the front end.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

To be fair, DB qualified his statement by saying he liked Fangio. That said, I agree to an extent. AJ outplaying guys in preseason isn’t a cut-and-dry thing to evaluate. AJ was playing against backups, and how many backups have we seen perform as preseason All-Pros who never amounted to much (*cough* Sloter *cough*). As I said, the good news is that Fangio adjusted relatively quickly.
                      Backups? Johnson was the starting ILB alongside Jewell all of camp once Davis was injured the first week. He was also in every special teams package. Then, Corey Nelson failed to make Tampa's practice squad, we signed him 5 days before the first game of the year and made him an insta-starter. After being the starter for all of August, Johnson was inexplicably benched, removed from special teams, and made inactive for the first month of the regular season. It was a strange, and idiotic, move.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post

Backups? Johnson was the starting ILB alongside Jewell all of camp once Davis was injured the first week. He was also in every special teams package. Then, Corey Nelson failed to make Tampa's practice squad, we signed him 5 days before the first game of the year and made him an insta-starter. After being the starter for all of August, Johnson was inexplicably benched, removed from special teams, and made inactive for the first month of the regular season. It was a strange, and idiotic, move.
                        Fair point. Idiotic? Come on. Hell, even on first team in preseason you’re playing vanilla schemes. My guess is they were concerned about coverage. That’s make or break in today’s NFL. You can’t tell much in preseason with vanilla passing schemes.

Comment

I didn’t need preseason to figure out Nelson sucks on every level of the game in any aspect of it. After it was clear Davis wasn’t going to play To me it just seemed like an example of taking a vet over an unknown only because he’s a vet.

But Like inferno is saying, the good part about it he’s excelling now and Fangio is developing him.

Comment

AJ Johnson was held back from this defense because he was still learning the NFL game, and making mistakes. Will Parks was on KOA Broncos Country last night and was talking about how complex, yet brilliant, Fangio’s scheme is. This is not the same as learning Wade’s defense which is why he can quickly turn things around. Fangio probably tried to simplify it as much as possible to start, and that may be why is wasn’t so effective early.

Anyway, it explains why Fangio is slow to put in inexperienced guys because they will make costly mistakes, especially in the middle and back end of the defense where it takes more thinking. Fangio deserves the benefit of the doubt on this because he’s proven his chops on this defense.

Listen for yourself here:

https://koacolorado.iheart.com/featu...lo-wild-wings/

Comment

nah, he sucks elway signed him and elway is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X