London Chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mile High Salute View Post
    I'm trying to think about the domino effect of how this would even work, with the Chargers being in the AFC West. As I think Beavis pointed out, Dallas to AFC West would probably make the most sense, but I bet Jerrah would fight hard against that with so many long-standing rivalries in their division. Otherwise, what else happens? Maybe Dolphins move to the AFC South, while Houston moves to the AFC West? Either way, this change would affect multiple teams, and not be as simple as Seattle just switching to the NFC West the last time. Would be weird to not have any AFC West teams in California, and none on the West Coast at all.
    Yeah, you could move a few teams around to fill in the spot in the west. But I think you want London in a division with 3 northeastern teams.

Comment

8 more games on NFL Network every year. I can see why the NFL would green light this. I think London could support a team, there is a huge expat community and the games they currently have always do well. When I lived there (back in 2002-2003) they had 2 games on Sunday night at some at some ungodly hour with local commentators. Was pretty hilarious. The local fans would get screwed for all the away games though.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Yeah, you could move a few teams around to fill in the spot in the west. But I think you want London in a division with 3 northeastern teams.
          Yup. Even with that though, wouldn't the London team be at a huge competitive disadvantage? Even if their divisional games are just travel to the NE U.S., that's still a 5+ hr flight, as bad or worse as flying cross-country for every game. And what about years where they're paired with the AFC or NFC West? I heard something crazy about maybe they would have eight straight home games, then be on the road for the next eight? Could be done I suppose, but that would be wild and different from what every other team in the NFL has done.

Comment

No way in hell Dallas ever moves out of the East. That division has way to much history and to many influential owners. There is a reason they stayed during the last reshuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
              Lol. But it's not your home, Dean. It's the home of every team that comes in and plays you. ;-)

Comment

Dean Spanos is a colossal d-bag.

Comment

Yup. Even with that though, wouldn't the London team be at a huge competitive disadvantage? Even if their divisional games are just travel to the NE U.S., that's still a 5+ hr flight, as bad or worse as flying cross-country for every game. And what about years where they're paired with the AFC or NFC West? I heard something crazy about maybe they would have eight straight home games, then be on the road for the next eight? Could be done I suppose, but that would be wild and different from what every other team in the NFL has done.
                  Yeah, no. It would definitely suck. Whether it would suck as bad as essentially having an away game every week like the Chargers have now is an open question.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Yeah, no. It would definitely suck. Whether it would suck as bad as essentially having an away game every week like the Chargers have now is an open question.
                    The continual jet lag alone would be brutal. Every time I fly overseas, I'm screwed for like 3-4 days, especially heading back west. And could you imagine having a shorter week due to a Thursday or Monday game? I'd have to assume London would be crossed off the list for those games, unless they had a bye week immediately before/after.

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post

they dont have to actually be native born londeners, you do understand that ?

what would be a good name for the london team?
                      the BIG BENS ?
                      roth and a bunch of ex NFL players could be part of the ownership !

the redskins could become the red coats !
                      Werewolves of London

Comment

The continual jet lag alone would be brutal. Every time I fly overseas, I'm screwed for like 3-4 days, especially heading back west. And could you imagine having a shorter week due to a Thursday or Monday game? I'd have to assume London would be crossed off the list for those games, unless they had a bye week immediately before/after.
                        They'd definitely have to tapdance around the London traveling teams when it happens. I think someone mentioned earlier and NFL people have even talked about essentially having the London team reside stateside for long stretches of consecutive road games. Which isn't great. But arguably less of an impact than the teams that have to go all the way to London for a week. Adding a second bye week could make things much more flexible for all involved. Maybe that would be part of the equation. Although I'm not sure if something like that is possible mid-CBA.

I've often thought that once supersonic charter services are available, the NFL might opt to essentially have one on call.

Comment

I don't think the NFL really wants to mess too much with the divisions. Fans love their teams, but they also love the division rivalries. It's a huge part of the game. But to get the Chargers to London, they would have to mess with the divisions quite a bit. I'd say no, try to make it work in LA. I mean, damn, the stadium isn't finished yet and they want to move again? F that nonsense. Shut up and play football Spanos.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                            Nobody wants you in LA you *****ing idiot.

The NFL is giving you a signal that it would support a move, even they don’t want you in LA because your organization turned into an embarrassment for the league. Chargers are literally the only team with no home advantage.

Best outcome is that the Chargers move back to San Diego. No realignment needed.

Comment

If I was a player and was drafted by the London Chargers, I wouldn’t go. It will be very hard on families with kids that don’t want to leave the US.

Comment

San Antonio desperately wants an NFL team and has the money build a great facility and a fan base that would pack the stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X