It's not as bad as you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not as bad as you think

Bronco fans.....it's not as bad as it seems.

The biggest problem you have are the expectations that a proud, winning tradition, brings to a team. Elways decisions have also been influenced by this as well.

After Manning, you've had trouble finding a QB, a coach, a direction. Some of that is due to arrogance by Elway....he's been a winner as a player and he did put a championship team together. He's made some poor choices since then. He's making some questionable calls now in the eyes of Bronco fans....but consider this:

Fangio has the team playing good D. 2020 will offer some challenges...he may need to replace CHJ or maybe not....you'll get Chubb back. Miller is still going to be around. You've got that going for you. The D should be expected to be good again next year.

Lock isn't going to much of any playing time in 2019 if any. I know that is really pissing alot of you off. I can understand why. You know Flacco sucks and you really need to see what you have with Lock. He has a cheap rookie deal and it's wasting away. Many of you are fed up with Elway. I also understand that. But consider, due to the ownership, as you all know, it's kind of Elways show....maybe Elway goes back to being football operations president and they bring in a GM....but for now....are you really better off if he is out right fired or forced to "retire"? You wouldn't draw interest from top tier type GM talent...they'd all be scared that their job will end with a new owner and/or at the whim of Ellis. ....even though his recent job performance has sucked....you kind of need Elway to remain in place.....To get things headed in the right direction you really really need some stability. Lock can't play now because as I have said....IF he turns out to suck hard in 2019, you need a QB. Which means you have a coach problem.

Follow me here......

Lock remains the QBOTF going into 2020, even if Flacco is still around and even if Flacco starts in 2020...Lock will be ready to go and this is the important part....you'll have had the offseason to bolster Fangios program. That includes badly needed upgrades at OT, C, maybe TE...CB.

Going into 2020....you'll have some stability and direction. The D will be strong and possibly stronger. The Offense.....if nothing else, should by the start of 2020, have an improved OT and you'll probably be eagerly anticipating what Lock does in preseason.

Even if Flacco wins the job / is still around....a second whole year, camp, better LT (because it can't be worse at LT) should be enough to get you on the winning side of these 15-13 contests you are losing now. There is....in my opinion, a competative Broncos team emerging in 2020 this way.

Let's now consider the two alternatives outcomes if you play Lock now.

Lock, hasn't been practicing with the team and coaches. He'd come in and have to produce with a poor line and not much help at WR outside Sutton. That is a TALL ORDER for a kid who already is considered raw and has some faults. MAYBE he comes in and lights it up. .....this of course is the BEST CASE for everyone. You'd know you had your QB for sure. Elway and Fangio would be safe, and Elway would start being praised right away for finding the elusive QB. The problem here is this isn't the likely outcome.

What is more likely is that Lock would come in....being the raw, flawed prospect with little reps, and a poor supporting cast and he'd probably look like a raw kid with a bad supporting cast. He might even look bad enough to be considered no longer a part of "the future". This is why he won't see much or any time. You guys NEED the stability of Fangio going to year two with roster upgrades......and frankly, you need Elway to keep his job for now. It's not worth risking that stability to see what you have in Lock until 2020.

If Fangio were replaced, a new QB drafted, Elway on the hot seat along with his legacy dangling by a thread.....you'd end up with....not many talented coaching candidates and assistants wanting to risk it to come to a place where you go new coach 4 out of 5 years....with instability at the top, along with impatience.....meaning you'd not come into this job with much confidience you'd last long here.....not to mention, Elway has input into the QB that gets drafted....wich hasn't worked so far.

THAT situation is WORSE. When you make Denver a place NO ONE wants to be the GM of, or the coach of....and you have to overpay by a ton to get a FA to sign in Denver...that's what you'd be looking at if the whole thing were to come crashing down at the end of 2019.

....If Flacco still sucks in 2020 if he's even still in Denver....AND Lock sucks (he might, but maybe not) THEN you figure out your next move at QB. You'll be in a ton better shape to do that if you have a strong D established and the HC is more entrenched and comfortable about his job and he and the team will have reached a point where it's understood by all parties that it's time for a QB.

Fangio isn't a dummy....he'll have learned alot this year as well.

Therefore.....I conclude, that the Broncos best shot to get the ship righted for 2020 and beyond is to do exactly what they are doing...stash Lock....grind out 2019. Head to 2020 with Coaching staff and GM Elway in place, spend the FA money and draft glaring holes. Go from there. Starting completely over will be like jumping off a cliff into Bengal/Brown territory that is extremely hard to get out of. That doesn't have to happen with some patience and a strong offseason.

I'll Start.

Click image for larger version  Name:	American_Foods_ADE.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	2515713

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
      I'll Start.

Click image for larger version Name:	American_Foods_ADE.jpg Views:	1 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	2515713
      your food < my wisdom

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrees_Banner-wide.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	2515718

Comment

For a Chiefs fan, you spend a lot of time on this board...Having said that, you're not entirely wrong...Elway is probably going nowhere, at least until 2021, given the team's ownership situation...There are a lot of holes in the OL that makes any young QB a risky bet...What I don't understand about the current FO is why they're not giving Lock at least time to practice to get used to the playbook and get some experience...I'm not saying he should start right now, but maybe after the bye week with a few reps and some practice time, once the team is mathematically out of the playoffs...I disagree that no GM would want to be in Denver...Who would turn a GM position on any NFL team? Even Miami probably has potential suitors lining up...

Comment

Z, being born and raised a Bills fan, the current state of the Broncos seems eerily familiar....

they need stable ownership with a winning mentality..

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosCR View Post
              For a Chiefs fan, you spend a lot of time on this board...Having said that, you're not entirely wrong...Elway is probably going nowhere, at least until 2021, given the team's ownership situation...There are a lot of holes in the OL that makes any young QB a risky bet...What I don't understand about the current FO is why they're not giving Lock at least time to practice to get used to the playbook and get some experience...I'm not saying he should start right now, but maybe after the bye week with a few reps and some practice time, once the team is mathematically out of the playoffs...I disagree that no GM would want to be in Denver...Who would turn a GM position on any NFL team? Even Miami probably has potential suitors lining up...
              Someone will take the job, but stable, quality ownership will attract better candidates.

Comment

The Broncos are on the right track. 1 side of the Ball is top 1/4 of the league. most struggling teams can't say that.

Comment

I believe somewhere in the NFL rule that week off is meant for the player not to be in the building that week other than if you are injure, you are suppose to go in. So reality, no additional work for the bye week.

Comment

Flopping already on Flacco? You were just saying how he was definitely the starter for the next 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post
                      The Broncos are on the right track. 1 side of the Ball is top 1/4 of the league. most struggling teams can't say that.
                      The defense needs a few cycles to get more appropriate players in place and add depth...

We need to see what we have in Lock tho... the future will be Sutton, Fant, Lock and Lindsay so get two of those guys as many reps and seasoning as possible to see if that crew will get us to the next level...

this team isn’t the disaster most of us post about after a rather close game...

Comment

Gary spends alot of time here and he is a bit odd, (Queefs fan, go figure) but he’s right.
                        Its Scotch’s show. And we as fans can’t get rid of him. We’re in limbo. And it blows.
                        Our best bet is for Fucco to retire with a neck injury and Lock starts next year.
                        Or Elway steps down or the franchise is sold.
                        Those are our choices. And they all suck.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post
                          That’s totally irrelevant. Next year the team
                          will have 31 year old players all over and like every year we all say, “Everything is fine. We’re good on this side of the ball.” And then the next year comes and those old players age badly and are injured.
                          Thats NOT how a winning organization operates. That’s pipe dream world.

Comment

In a ranking of the things I like to spend my time doing, going to an opponent's message board every day to post War and Peace is one rung below having my nuts kicked in by an NFL kicker.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	d8f.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2515769

Comment

Working...
                              X