X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jmz313
    replied
    Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

you do realize there’s a safety on the team who is at 14M next year right?
    Yes. but the franchise tag's average of top 5 S will be less than that i think. for one season. 11.2m for 2019.

It doesn't matter. Simmons is going to sign an extension. probably before our next game.

Leave a comment:

• R8R H8R
    replied
    Originally posted by balero View Post
    Simmons might be benefitting from Fangio’s coaching more than anybody.

Fangio puts an emphasis on his DBs facing the QB and making plays on the ball in his defense.

Coaching and fast progression is why signing Simmons has become an issue all of the sudden. I think the jury was still out on Simmons heading into this year, and especially after a shaky showing against Oakland in Week 1.
    This. Nobody was talking about Simmons last year like they are this year. And saying they should have signed him this offseason is laughable because he hadn’t proved yet that he was such a good fit for this defense until a handful of games this season.

That said, now is the time to approach him, and make him a “fair offer”—whatever that is. Also, I think Wolfe is another that fits this defense to a tee, so see if he would like to add a couple years to his deal, while they are at it.

Leave a comment:

• balero
    replied
    Simmons might be benefitting from Fangio’s coaching more than anybody.

Fangio puts an emphasis on his DBs facing the QB and making plays on the ball in his defense.

Coaching and fast progression is why signing Simmons has become an issue all of the sudden. I think the jury was still out on Simmons heading into this year, and especially after a shaky showing against Oakland in Week 1.

Leave a comment:

• pricejj
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigdawg26 View Post

Players want to be here. I’m not denying that. But even Champ said himself that Elway doesn’t like paying his players. Look at what happened with Von (he resigned but it got heated), CHJ (this time around. After he took a pay cut) , Malik, Trev, and the list goes on. Players like it here and want to stay, Elway gives them a low ball offer, they get offended and find other teams that will pay them their worth, and we replace them with a stop gap level vet on a one or two year deal.
    Trevathan is the only guy that Elway should've signed, but didn't. I can't blame Elway based on Trevathan's questionable kneecap at the time. They made Brandon Marshall one of the highest paid ILB's in football with Trev's money. Your post doesn't make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• socalorado
    replied
    Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Managing the cap is hard if you suck at drafting. Rookie contracts help significantly. Those players fill out the roster and contribute. When you draft players who are out of the league a year after you draft them, cap management is harder.
    It’s also really nice having a unicorn like Peyton to bring in all those high priced FA’s to make the team a SB contender. Gosh, it musta been so frustrating for Scotch to crack the whip and make the bean counters count. What a tough life.

Leave a comment:

• Drunken.Broncoholic2
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosteven View Post

He did the same thing to Manning too. He took away $2mill and restructured it so that to earn it Manning had to win a SB.

John is what you want if you are an owner.

There was no way they could afford either Malik or Trev, we were in cap hell at the time.

CHJ is a great player but he also got his shot to play as a UDFA here. It would be different if he were a top 2 round pick.

John locked up Wolfe early on a team friendly deal too. Managing the cap is hard. You can't pay everyone and then bring in guys to fill out the team too.
    Managing the cap is hard if you suck at drafting. Rookie contracts help significantly. Those players fill out the roster and contribute. When you draft players who are out of the league a year after you draft them, cap management is harder.

Leave a comment:

• broncosteven
    replied

Players want to be here. I’m not denying that. But even Champ said himself that Elway doesn’t like paying his players. Look at what happened with Von (he resigned but it got heated), CHJ (this time around. After he took a pay cut) , Malik, Trev, and the list goes on. Players like it here and want to stay, Elway gives them a low ball offer, they get offended and find other teams that will pay them their worth, and we replace them with a stop gap level vet on a one or two year deal.
    He did the same thing to Manning too. He took away $2mill and restructured it so that to earn it Manning had to win a SB.

John is what you want if you are an owner.

There was no way they could afford either Malik or Trev, we were in cap hell at the time.

CHJ is a great player but he also got his shot to play as a UDFA here. It would be different if he were a top 2 round pick.

John locked up Wolfe early on a team friendly deal too. Managing the cap is hard. You can't pay everyone and then bring in guys to fill out the team too.

Leave a comment:

• Drunken.Broncoholic2
    replied
    Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

doubtful. Franchise number on a safety is like 12m. He won't really get low balled and if he doesn't get a new deal, He will get franchised.

I know its not the OM's narrative but i think the D players want to play for Fangio here.

I bet simmons signs his extension during the bye week.

you do realize there’s a safety on the team who is at 14M next year right?

Leave a comment:

• Bigdawg26
    replied
    Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

doubtful. Franchise number on a safety is like 12m. He won't really get low balled and if he doesn't get a new deal, He will get franchised.

I know its not the OM's narrative but i think the D players want to play for Fangio here.

Leave a comment:

• jmz313
    replied
    I can already tell you the story. Elway will low ball Simmons, Simmons gets angry and goes into FA, and will receive big offers from other teams and Elway will either have to cough up big doe to get him back or let him go for a slower vet.

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied
    I can already tell you the story. Elway will low ball Simmons, Simmons gets angry and goes into FA, and will receive big offers from other teams and Elway will either have to cough up big doe to get him back or let him go for a slower vet.
    Is that what Wolfe told you? Or maybe it was Chris Harris? I know, it was Sande.....Nope, Janovich. Nope, it was, it was......Julius Thomas. That who it was, right?

Leave a comment:

• Bigdawg26
    replied

Leave a comment:

• B-Large
    replied
    Does Fangio like the kid? Maybe that’s a dumb question, but if he’s here three season at the minimum... this defense will fit his mindset/ scheme/ personality...

kids a a solid player, really great athleticism

Leave a comment:

• jmz313
    replied
    Simmons will get extension over the bye week.

Leave a comment:

• IndelibleScribe
    replied
    I would hazard a guess that they offered him an extension early, he didn't like the money and bet on himself to have a big season and now the cost is rising to re-sign him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X