2 Broncos make PFF Midseason All-Pro Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by balero View Post
    Simmons might be benefitting from Fangio’s coaching more than anybody.

Fangio puts an emphasis on his DBs facing the QB and making plays on the ball in his defense.

Coaching and fast progression is why signing Simmons has become an issue all of the sudden. I think the jury was still out on Simmons heading into this year, and especially after a shaky showing against Oakland in Week 1.
    This. Nobody was talking about Simmons last year like they are this year. And saying they should have signed him this offseason is laughable because he hadn’t proved yet that he was such a good fit for this defense until a handful of games this season.

That said, now is the time to approach him, and make him a “fair offer”—whatever that is. Also, I think Wolfe is another that fits this defense to a tee, so see if he would like to add a couple years to his deal, while they are at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

you do realize there’s a safety on the team who is at 14M next year right?
      Yes. but the franchise tag's average of top 5 S will be less than that i think. for one season. 11.2m for 2019.

It doesn't matter. Simmons is going to sign an extension. probably before our next game.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

Yes. but the franchise tag's average of top 5 S will be less than that i think. for one season. 11.2m for 2019.

It doesn't matter. Simmons is going to sign an extension. probably before our next game.
        Not really my point.

I was referring to how hard it is for teams to have about 27-30M wrapped up on just 2 safeties against the cap. Need to do some money managing with signing bonus to move around Simmons cap hit for 2020.

We will see. the longer they wait the more expensive it will get. Last thing you want is Simmons contract dictated by Byard and McCleod. Both will get huge money.

Comment

Not really my point.

I was referring to how hard it is for teams to have about 27-30M wrapped up on just 2 safeties against the cap. Need to do some money managing with signing bonus to move around Simmons cap hit for 2020.

We will see. the longer they wait the more expensive it will get. Last thing you want is Simmons contract dictated by Byard and McCleod. Both will get huge money.
          I agree but Simmons is staying and should be extended in 2019. Jackson has 1-2 years left here. He's a transition type player. they'll be able to keep Simmons Cap number down at least for 2020.

As for the Tag, they are not going to let a key young superstar just walk away. they'll tag him if they have to.

Comment

I agree but Simmons is staying and should be extended in 2019. Jackson has 1-2 years left here. He's a transition type player. they'll be able to keep Simmons Cap number down at least for 2020.

As for the Tag, they are not going to let a key young superstar just walk away. they'll tag him if they have to.
            What are the chances of Scotch tagging him?
            70%?

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

What are the chances of Scotch tagging him?
              70%?
              99% if he's not extended. I'm sure he's going to get his extension in 2019. it just makes perfect sense for everyone involved.

1% is assuming the fax machine is plugged in.

Comment

If he's franchised, it will keep the Broncos from overpaying to replace Leary so that probably be a win as well.

Comment

Not really my point.

Is Simmons agent going to pretend Byards contract doesn’t exist? Of course it is, that contract will be the floor of Simmons asking price.

Comment

If he's franchised, it will keep the Broncos from overpaying to replace Leary so that probably be a win as well.
                    I really would like to pay Brandon Sherff to play G. Just sayin. Can WASH franchise Sherff?
                    Did they already? I can’t remember if they already did.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

I really would like to pay Brandon Sherff to play G. Just sayin. Can WASH franchise Sherff?
                      Did they already? I can’t remember if they already did.
                      They have never franchised him to my recollection (living in DC area)

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post

Is Simmons agent going to pretend Byards contract doesn’t exist? Of course it is, that contract will be the floor of Simmons asking price.
                        Isn't he getting 14.7m year average? Simmons will get 14m-ish from Broncos. how the contract is structured will be what Simmon's agent is worried about. Byard has less guaranteed money than a handful of safeties including Kareem jackson.

Landon Collins Skins deal is what Simmon's agent will be looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post

That’s why you get a deal done before Byards

Comment

Simmons has all the leverage until Denver tags him, then they have all the leverage. Simmons won't ever see the open market so It's in everyone's best interest to get a fair deal done ASAP.

Comment

Not sure they will have to exceed Byard's contract to keep him on the Broncos and they have more than enough money to pay him anyway. Designating Flacco as a post-June 1st cut and (finally) getting rid of Ronald Leary frees up over $20M dollars in cap space.

Comment

It would be pretty funny if they kicked the Flacco can down the road another year with how much people have freaked over his dead money.

Comment

Working...
                                X