Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest defense of all time (statistical fact) and most unknown. 1977 Falcons grits blitz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest defense of all time (statistical fact) and most unknown. 1977 Falcons grits blitz

I always remembered this Jerry Glanville defense. Only cause my close friend at that time was a big Falcons fan. Atlanta everything fan.

Anyway, interesting little video.

I watched that and for whatever reason I am thinking just try it. What the hell? Just try it against Mahomes and see how he deals with it.

Not that they run the RPO offense, but I am convinced running a grits blitz scheme against an RPO offense is how to stifle it.

What was the deal about this D? No time to watch yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
      What was the deal about this D? No time to watch yet.
      It's the defense that Buddy Ryan copied or imitated when he called it the "46."

Statistically it is the best defense of all time. Now, in regards to who they played that year, leaves room for debate.

Broncos in 77 their orange crush played the Raiders twice (defending SB champion) the Cowboys (probably the best offense that year) among others.

But it was called the grits blitz and invented by Jerry Glanville. Watch the video when you get a chance.

Comment

You can't run this in the NFL anymore. Both of Buddy's son's tried to but failed. QB's get the ball out faster than back in the 70's and 80's. Marino's fins were the only team to beat the 85 bears, he was able to use his quick release to get the ball out to guys who were open downfield because the front 7 couldn't get to him in time.

Then there is the fact that you need a great, physical front 7 who all have the speed and quickness to pass rush. Once they lost Wilber Marshall to the Skins in FA that D was never the same.

I think the key to beating the chefs is:

1) being able to complete long drives and finish them off with TD's. We can do this if our OL can run block and we control the clock with a heavy dose of Lindsay and Freeman.
        2) Not letting mmHOmmeees to scramble wide. When he makes his reads and pressure is coming he likes to take a step or 2 one way then he turns back and runs the other way knowing that he is faster than a DL and OLB's and if he can keep his eyes downfield he can make the throw to a guy breaking open in the scramble drill. I would tell the outside rushers that if they get close not to bite on the first angle he takes, I would tell them to break away from him wide and try to keep him in the middle of the field. I would make sure that you always rush at least 4, the 2 or 3 man rush is not going to work against Pat even if he is hurt and hobbled.
        3) Do what you do well on D and trust your coverage. Don't let child beater to get behind the D, press them all at the LOS and play them tight. Key is getting Pat to move in the middle of the pocket so I would bring Johnson and or Jackson as delayed blitzers as much as I could to get him off his spot. He has missed a lot of throws the last 3 weeks from pressure and due to his ankle issues.
        4) Don't try being fancy and disguising your D, he will beat it. He can't if you get pressure and he can't make the throw. This is the week I would move Von around to every position in the front 7. Put him at both OLB positions, then move him over a Guard or C, then move him to ILB and send him on blitz's from there but if they did that it would negate #3.

The last 2 weeks the new starters on D have been getting off their blocks and getting pursuit, kFc's OL is struggling big time, so bad that they went 3 and out twice on their last 2 drives of the game. We need to be able to do that.

The one thing we have that we didn't 2 weeks ago is that the Broncos have won 2 games and kFc has lost 2 and we get them at home on a short week with Pat hurt so there is a chance if the Broncos believe they can win and the O can run on them and keep enough long drives going. The last 3 weeks all 3 teams have had 10+ play drives on their D. Lions should have won their game too but they got that fumble that was a 14 point swing in the game. We can't have Fant not knowing his route and not looking for the ball and having a short pass being picked off his back. We have to play turnover free football and then get a cheap score on a punt return or maybe score off a fumble recovery. Pat isn't going to throw INT's unless it is tipped.

At least I have some hope that we can hang with them for a couple quarters now but if they get reek, Sammy the Hammy, and Fake Gronk going they will win walking away.

Comment

What stat were they the best at? I'll watch it later this week sometime. I got it in the watch later list. I personally think the best D that gets talked about only a little bit was 91 Eagles.

Comment

1977 is probably the best defensive year ever. Gritz Blitz, Orange Crush, prime Steel Curtain and Doomsday defenses.

Comment

That defense would probably get flagged for roughing the QB 10 times per game in today's NFL. I mean, we all saw the lame Chubb roughing call a few games back. I've watched some other NFL games and the same thing is happening to other teams. I mean, I get it, they want to protect the QB. But they're going way overboard at this point, where a non-violent normal clean tackle is called a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                What stat were they the best at? I'll watch it later this week sometime. I got it in the watch later list. I personally think the best D that gets talked about only a little bit was 91 Eagles.
                Fewest points per game allowed at 9.2PPG.

Denver's 2005 Defense is basically what it would be in the modern game. Except in 1977 you could try to kill what you hit.

Comment

Working...
                X