Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL quarterback claims he rejected Vikings offer because they don’t want a controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFL quarterback claims he rejected Vikings offer because they don’t want a controversy

The Vikings are stuck with quarterback Kirk Cousins through 2020. And that fact apparently kept them from signing CFL quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell.

Via 3downnation.com, Mitchell recently said that he worked out last December for the Vikings, after being named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player. Coach Mike Zimmer, according to Mitchell, was present.

After the workout, an unnamed team official met with Mitchell and asked how he could help the Vikings win.

“I was like, ‘Well, for one, I’ve never been anywhere in football and not won a championship as a starter,'” Mitchell said. “‘High school, DI, DI-AA, now here in the CFL. Everywhere I’ve ever been I’ve won a championship within the first three years I’ve been there. I can help you do that. I’m going to come in here, I’m going to take Kirk’s job.'”

That wasn’t what the Vikings wanted to hear, according to Mitchell.

“He was like, ‘Oh, no, no, n-n-n-no, we don’t want you to take Kirk’s job. We want you to come in here, help him with his eyes, tell him what you see, do everything you can to make him a better quarterback. But we need a good quarterback room, we don’t want you to cause controversy. At that moment I was like, ‘Well, I’m not signing with the Minnesota Vikings.’

“I don’t understand that thought process. All that tells me is there’s a culture in that building right now that, ‘Hey, your job is secure because of the money we paid you. Don’t worry about anything you do or the decisions you make or anything the media says, just do what we tell you to do and you’re going to be fine.’ It’s mind-blowing. You don’t even want a guy that’s pushing him or creating competition.”

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/spor...172728990.html

Bit long, and not at all surprising to most of us. I remember reading way back when the Titans beat the Bills in that music city miracle game. Doug Flutie, who was one hell of a playmaker and did so much for them that year, was benched for Rob Johnson. Well, Wade Phillips was forced by Ralph Wilson due to the money Johnson was being paid.

It is just a sad state of affairs one of those sobering realities really about life.

Cousin's contract was always a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
      Cousin's contract was always a terrible idea.
      Agreed. And I like Cousins. But that contract was just a stupid idea. All up front. All guaranteed.

Comment

I was for a 1 year deal, I was dreading they would win the bidding war and we'd be stuck with him. Was sooo happy he didn't come here. Not really thrilled with Flacco either, but at least the hit won't be quite as bad I guess, altho stupid to sign him to 3 years too. C'mon Lock! =)

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Agreed. And I like Cousins. But that contract was just a stupid idea. All up front. All guaranteed.
          I think Cousins has always been overrated but the acrimony in Washington always made him seem better than he was.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

I think Cousins has always been overrated but the acrimony in Washington always made him seem better than he was.
            Yeah, he seemed to be a better QB when he was grinding and working for respect. WASH GM called him Kurt all the time and it passed him off. He wanted to prove himself.
            Now that he got paid, and he's the man........

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Yeah, he seemed to be a better QB when he was grinding and working for respect. WASH GM called him Kurt all the time and it passed him off. He wanted to prove himself.
              Now that he got paid, and he's the man........
              He had excuses in Washington and no real expectations.

Comment

Unfortunately in today's NFL you have to absolutely over pay for mediocre QB play. That's just the reality of the current NFL, IMHO Cousins never earned that huge contract, he's never consistently won big games in the NFL nor been on consistently winning teams. Sure, the Skins are a mess but he never took that team and put it on his shoulder and carried them to wins, at least, I don't remember that type of play from him. Sure, it can be argued that he was a "good enough" QB not to lose games for the Skins, but he was not a difference maker either, IMHO.

The sad thing is if the Vikings hadn't paid Cousins that stupid big contract, the Broncos probably would have and again, I don't think he would have been the kind of QB for the Broncos that could will the team to big wins or tough wins or consistent wins the way really good NFL QBs can like Drew Brees for instance.

As for Flacco, he's overpaid too but still not as bad as Cousins. When Baltimore gave Flacco that mega deal they pretty much didn't have a choice. He helped them win a SB and he was a SB MVP and he was solid during the playoff run to the championship. Ozzie Newsome was pretty much forced to pay Flacco big, stupid money otherwise he'd look like a horrible GM. Well guess what, Flacco has been nothing special ever since he got paid. I don't think he's the reason the Broncos are 0-4 but again, he's not the type of QB that can put our team on his shoulder and carry them to a win the way a true franchise QB can and should be able to do, at least every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
                  “He was like, ‘Oh, no, no, n-n-n-no, we don’t want you to take Kirk’s job. We want you to come in here, help him with his eyes, tell him what you see, do everything you can to make him a better quarterback. But we need a good quarterback room, we don’t want you to cause controversy. At that moment I was like, ‘Well, I’m not signing with the Minnesota Vikings.’
                  We interrupt this echo chamber to laugh at one Bo Levi Mitchell, quarterback for something called the Calgary Stampeders, for the bolded quote.

Not that Kirk Cousins is a world beater. But I promise you, numbers one through seventeen on the list of "Reasons why the Vikings didn't sign Bo Levi Mitchell to be training camp fodder" did not include, "Worried that he might beat out Kirk Cousins for the starting job."

Dude, there are probably 50 quarterbacks on active rosters in the NFL. Throw in another 40-50 that are on practice squads, or injured reserve. Among those is not anyone named Bo Levi Mitchell - he who currently plays on a field with a 55 yard line.

What a cringe-worthy comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                    Unfortunately in today's NFL you have to absolutely over pay for mediocre QB play. That's just the reality of the current NFL, IMHO Cousins never earned that huge contract, he's never consistently won big games in the NFL nor been on consistently winning teams. Sure, the Skins are a mess but he never took that team and put it on his shoulder and carried them to wins, at least, I don't remember that type of play from him. Sure, it can be argued that he was a "good enough" QB not to lose games for the Skins, but he was not a difference maker either, IMHO.

The sad thing is if the Vikings hadn't paid Cousins that stupid big contract, the Broncos probably would have and again, I don't think he would have been the kind of QB for the Broncos that could will the team to big wins or tough wins or consistent wins the way really good NFL QBs can like Drew Brees for instance.

As for Flacco, he's overpaid too but still not as bad as Cousins. When Baltimore gave Flacco that mega deal they pretty much didn't have a choice. He helped them win a SB and he was a SB MVP and he was solid during the playoff run to the championship. Ozzie Newsome was pretty much forced to pay Flacco big, stupid money otherwise he'd look like a horrible GM. Well guess what, Flacco has been nothing special ever since he got paid. I don't think he's the reason the Broncos are 0-4 but again, he's not the type of QB that can put our team on his shoulder and carry them to a win the way a true franchise QB can and should be able to do, at least every once in a while.

First...i AGREE with what you wrote here. Teams are so scared to fail or so scared of what they don't know that they will GLADLY shell out huge money for a mediocre sure thing at QB.

......and this is why I love Andy Ried. He had Alex Smith, being paid a relatively reasonable rate for a mediocre/above mediocre QB, and he decided that wasn't good enough. Not many times in NFL history where a team has a guy, leading a top 5 offense, decides that he isn't good enough, drafts his replacement and then trades the incumbant away for the new guy wihtout the new guy having much of a sample size. That is what Ried did.

Only other examples I can really think of similar would be Brees being let go in favor of Rivers in San Diego. Duante Culpepper, having sat a year behind Randall Cunningham and that top 5 offense, was given the riegns in his second year (like Mahomes) and that offense performed at top 5 level with him.

You don't have to pay these guys...but the alternative is way too uncertain for almost everyone to stomach and the confidence in the leadership to identify a QB who is better than "mediocre" isn't enough to move on from the sure thing who is mediocre.

Comment

Didn’t this guy also work out for the Broncos?

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
                        Didn’t this guy also work out for the Broncos?
                        He couldn’t beat out Hogan. He also worked out for several other teams that didn’t want him, but the Vikes are scared he would take Kirk’s job. Sounds like a blowhard. He’s also not having as good a season this year. He’s been hurt.

Comment

Levi only came in for an evaluation with the Broncos. He never had a real chance to beat out Hogan.

We brought him in because we liked him before we met him.
                          The fact that they met with him means they thought he was going to be a worthy candidate for the back up position. Dude probably talked himself out of each team he went to visit.

There's a lesson for CFL QBs... You can climb to the championship and win MVP in the CFL. And if you luck out, you can become a back up in the NFL. But you didn't prove sht in the NFL, so be humble and know that you are never going to be looked at as an NFL starter coming directly out of the CFL no matter how well you did up North. Don't be a Levi and ego yourself out of possibilities... You can still come in when someone goes down and prove it then... And if you prove it then, you will finally be given credit. Until then, you're viewed as minor league guys trying to climb into the majors.

Comment

Working...
                          X