Bull**** time out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull**** time out.

Are there going to be replays now on when somebody somewhere made a time out signal? During regular time, you get a time out when you can get the ref to recognize a signal and stop the clock.

I guess now you can just casually make the signal to ice the kicker. Even if they let the play go, as long as you signaled before the snap, it should count.

The officiating is out of control. For a decade they couldn’t and maybe still can’t define a catch. Some things are reviewable, some are not. Chubb tackling a QB clean is15 yards... I would almost rather it go back to the old days, play the game, make calls on the field, let the pieces fall where they fall... good or bad for my team

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	318
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2494619

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
        The officiating is out of control. For a decade they couldn’t and maybe still can’t define a catch. Some things are reviewable, some are not. Chubb tackling a QB clean is15 yards... I would almost rather it go back to the old days, play the game, make calls on the field, let the pieces fall where they fall... good or bad for my team
        I agree with you. Essentially the review has taken much of the joy out of being a fan. It's hard to get excited after a big play, because you have to wait to see if they review it.

Comment

I always thought that a timeout is granted the moment an official recognizes the call for a timeout and then signals it, himself.

Did they actually use replay to see if the timeout was called, and granted, in time? It all happened so fast....

Comment

Originally posted by SVine View Post
            I always thought that a timeout is granted the moment an official recognizes the call for a timeout and then signals it, himself.

Did they actually use replay to see if the timeout was called, and granted, in time? It all happened so fast....
            Can they do that before they signal that the runner is down?

Comment

Harris fooked up
              the WR was going to the ground and Harris dove at him
              should have pulled up then touched him down

Comment

they don't show decimals on NFL clocks, but watching that he was at past 0.5 maybe 0.25 when he hit the turf. Whoever was credited with calling timeout would have to have already been signaling before the play ended with the ref looking at him as opposed to the ball.

Maybe they are taught to credit the timeout right away in that kind of instance! League probably prefers it that way for the sake of drama, but like most time keeping rules they clearly use completely different rules than they do for the other 59 minues.

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                  Harris fooked up
                  the WR was going to the ground and Harris dove at him
                  should have pulled up then touched him down
                  Yeah, even half second of holding him up would have been the difference, but I also understand the near impossibility of asking a DB focused on the play to know in that situation if there was just 1 or even 4 seconds left (even watching at home I was surprised looking at the clock at the end of that play that so much time had run off), let alone ignoring his instinct to bring a receiver in the open field down ASAP.

Comment

The bull**** roughing call (yes it evened out since they were called too) is what makes this game virtually unwatchable. Reflects a society that has convinced half the population that masculinity is a mental disorder.

As far as the game, deserve the loss. Chris Harris probably should not have touched the receiver immediately. There was no way he was going to score a TD. The int on their goalline, the incompetence of Bolles and the staff not helping him against Mack.

That one hurt, cause they fought their way back and to have a ****ing ref be such a big part of the game has all but ruined it in my mind. I imagine in most of yours too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid A View Post
                      they don't show decimals on NFL clocks, but watching that he was at past 0.5 maybe 0.25 when he hit the turf. Whoever was credited with calling timeout would have to have already been signaling before the play ended with the ref looking at him as opposed to the ball.

Maybe they are taught to credit the timeout right away in that kind of instance! League probably prefers it that way for the sake of drama, but like most time keeping rules they clearly use completely different rules than they do for the other 59 minues.
                      Trubisky was.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid A View Post

If that's the case, there are many other situations where there should be an auto-timeout applied at the end of the play as it apparently was done here.

I've seen many situations where precious seconds tick off at the end of a play while a coach furiously tries to get a ref to recognize a timeout call. They never get that time back.

A fraction of a second between down and timeout is bull****. It's unprecedented. The clock hit zeros, and a timeout call is not something that can be applied retroactively.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
                          The bull**** roughing call (yes it evened out since they were called too) is what makes this game virtually unwatchable. Reflects a society that has convinced half the population that masculinity is a mental disorder.

It ain't that deep. NFL is a sport where teams can go from exciting title contender to completely unwatchable if the starting QB gets hurt. The league has an understandable interest in protecting QBs. When we had Manning we were rightfully grateful there were some disincentives in place for mauling our fragile QB.

The downside of having reasonable roughing penalties on the books is that when you have a ref group like today who threw flags on every borderline ruling that ends up including bad roughing calls. Chubb roughing call was most maddening, but offensive and defensive holding called every other play made it just as unwatchable from a game flow perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

If that's the case, there are many other situations where there should be an auto-timeout applied at the end of the play as it apparently was done here.

I've seen many situations where precious seconds tick off at the end of a play while a coach furiously tries to get a ref to recognize a timeout call. They never get that time back.

A fraction of a second between down and timeout is bull****. It's unprecedented. The clock hit zeros, and a timeout call is not something that can be applied retroactively.
                            I agree, that's what was maddening. It was like they just decided to credit it to them because they had it. Rule should be either that you automatically get it in that type of situation or you need more much detailed rules for final seconds like the NBA does.

Comment

Matt Nagy pre-programed the timeout button on Madden and hit it just in time, only explanation that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X