Run Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Defense

Everything wrong with the defense started with the complete inability to stop the run. It was always my concern - Shelby isn't strong enough against the run and Wolfe is in decline. No Todd Davis meant Corey Nelson? Should put AJ out there and hope he can step up in run D which he was doing well by the end of PS.

2 and 5 means Carr can dink his way to a first down - he's always been good at a 3 yard slant and then its just a couple more for another 1st. Even worse when the team still can't cover a TE to save their lives.

No long downs means no pass rush.

I had plenty of concerns this offseason but I really didn't think the defense was going to be worse.

Yeah this was the shocker. Hopefully Fangio knows how to adjust and get the D focused for Sunday's home game. I'd bet he does.

Comment

Originally posted by kappys View Post
      Everything wrong with the defense started with the complete inability to stop the run. It was always my concern - Shelby isn't strong enough against the run and Wolfe is in decline. No Todd Davis meant Corey Nelson? Should put AJ out there and hope he can step up in run D which he was doing well by the end of PS.

2 and 5 means Carr can dink his way to a first down - he's always been good at a 3 yard slant and then its just a couple more for another 1st. Even worse when the team still can't cover a TE to save their lives.

No long downs means no pass rush.

I had plenty of concerns this offseason but I really didn't think the defense was going to be worse.

completely agree. wish they would have given AJ a chance rather that that scap Nelson. He is too small and kept getting ran over. Dumb dumb dumb!

Comment

DL played like Lingerie Leaguers. Wolfe is used up, I'm afraid. Gotsis's development has stalled and he may be as good as he's gonna get. Purcell and Harris are penetrators who get worked over by bigger guys and the ILB's are makeshift at best. Jewell is a solid reserve and not much more. It's a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoBuff View Post

completely agree. wish they would have given AJ a chance rather that that scap Nelson. He is too small and kept getting ran over. Dumb dumb dumb!
          What about Joe Jones? Where's that guy at?

Comment

Originally posted by PRBronco View Post

he is hurt but better suited for special teams

Comment

Originally posted by PRBronco View Post

on IR

Comment

Originally posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
                DL played like Lingerie Leaguers. Wolfe is used up, I'm afraid. Gotsis's development has stalled and he may be as good as he's gonna get. Purcell and Harris are penetrators who get worked over by bigger guys and the ILB's are makeshift at best. Jewell is a solid reserve and not much more. It's a mess.
                This all day. Wolfe needs to be cut so Dremont can play. Walker too. I’m just going to say it, Wolfe sucks. He’s gone from being a good player to sucks. He’s just done and it’s time.
                Gotstis looked great in limited pre season but he’s apparently JAG. ILB’s are trash. Back up reserve level players.

Comment

We dont have Eddie Goldman and Akeem Hicks on the inside like Fangio had at the Bears. Wolfe, Harris and Gotsis are no better than solid. We lack impact players inside and at MLB. We got dominated by the Raiders back up guards. The Raiders were without their 2 road graders at guard Richie Icognito and Gabe Jackson and still run all over us. Gruden just secured the edges nullifying Von and Chubb with multiple tight ends and heavy formations and they attacked our weak interior. When Gruden spread us out Carr just got rid of the ball quickly and we played too soft in our zone coverages. It was like a game of 7 on 7 for Carr. Gruden outcoached Fangio.

Comment

Originally posted by champhalloffamer View Post
                    We dont have Eddie Goldman and Akeem Hicks on the inside like Fangio had at the Bears. Wolfe, Harris and Gotsis are no better than solid. We lack impact players inside and at MLB. We got dominated by the Raiders back up guards. The Raiders were without their 2 road graders at guard Richie Icognito and Gabe Jackson and still run all over us. Gruden just secured the edges nullifying Von and Chubb with multiple tight ends and heavy formations and they attacked our weak interior. When Gruden spread us out Carr just got rid of the ball quickly and we played too soft in our zone coverages. It was like a game of 7 on 7 for Carr. Gruden outcoached Fangio.

It was the same exact game plan Gruden has used every time he has played Denver since he went back to Oakland. They did not do anything new or trend setting last night. They were ok with grinding out 3-5 yards at a time and then throwing quick to chew up field. The best way to beat that game plan is to put actual points on the board yourself and make Oakland abandon the run with its gigantic fatass O-line.

Comment

Our Defense looked like the biggest bunch of Pantene Pros in the NFL....

Comment

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post

It was the same exact game plan Gruden has used every time he has played Denver since he went back to Oakland. They did not do anything new or trend setting last night. They were ok with grinding out 3-5 yards at a time and then throwing quick to chew up field. The best way to beat that game plan is to put actual points on the board yourself and make Oakland abandon the run with its gigantic fatass O-line.
                        This goes back to before Gruden, JDR first ran this in 2016 and completely nullified our D, most teams have copied it since and the D has never been the same.

The fact is we have a defense that’s built to play with a lead and an offense that can never get or hold a lead. Until they can score more than FGs and garbage time TDs, expect more of the same thing.

Comment

I thought having Shelby play NT was crazy and after watching him get blown up all game long, my thought was correct. I wonder if keeping Kerr to clog up the middle would have made a difference. The Broncos dont have a true NT on the team I don't believe.

Comment

Purcell looked better defending the run at NT than Harris and Wolfe is just a guy at this point. They're really light up front, the linebackers are bad and they play a lot of 2 deep so a good running team definitely has the advantage. Two easy fixes that can at least help stop the bleeding a little bit are Davis coming back from injury so we at least have a decent run stuffing LB in the base package, and Purcell playing more.

Comment

Purcell flashed some. I would try him in base at NT and play Harris inside at 3 tech in sub packages

Comment

Working...
                              X