X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My observations on the week 1 game.

Death by Flacco?
    Death by donks?

Well for a HC to emphasize the whole death by inches thing we sure had some really sloppy play.

1st Drive Raiders score a TD
    All quick passing game with shallow dropbacks and quick throws mixed in with interior runs.

Oakland: Carr did a great job with his accuracy. All throws were covered but his accuracy from short drops beat good coverage.
    They used their macthups well aware of the pass rush which was there but when you get the rid of the ball quickly with accuracy then you can beat any defense.
    That's why the QB is king I guess.

Denver: Didn't do a whole lot wrong. LBers Jewell/Nelson were in preseason mode though, over pursuing and at time not maintaining their gaps. Secondary and pass rush was fine but again accuracy and quick throws from Carr were on point.

1st Drive Denver 3 and out punt
    Denver: Right away we start our first play of the season with miscommunication. A backfield handoff to Fant from a tight formation and 84 on the outside didn't block his guy leaving him free to take down Fant in the backfield. What a start.
    Second play was a screen where no one sold it as a regular play and got off their blocks too quickly. Way too obvious that we were going for a screen and their DL didn't bite and immediately tackled Lindsay. 3rd and 14 then became a short throw to Lindsay short of the 1st down. Punt.
    Really sloppy start from the offense with miscommunication on the hand off to Fant then very poor execution in selling the screen.

2nd Drive Raiders 6 and out punt
    Carr continued with his quick game and accuracy. Yiadom was being picked on but not because he was playing poorly. His man coverage was actually pretty tight except Carr's accuracy from quick throws and Tyrell Williams at 6'5 was too good a matchup.
    Holding call by the Raiders put them back to 1st and 20 and they couldn't convert so had to punt. Von/Chubb were having a great game and Donatell adjusted by having Nelson assist Yiadom in coverage.

2nd Drive Denver punt
    1st and 10, 5 wide. Good to see Scangs get aggressive and stop with the finesse bull crap. Flacco shows what he's best at - intermediate throws where his arm/accuracy splits three defenders to nail Sutton in stride for a 37 yard catch and run.
    Again on 3rd and 6 Flacco shows off his arm and accuracy with a great throw over the middle in between three defenders with an inbreaking route but Sutton. Same route concept as before but this time from the other side of the formation.
    Heuerman does a great job blocking on the left side to help Bolles but that throw was all Flacco.

Next play from 1st and ten and Flacco eats a sack. Held onto the ball too long. OL did their job blocking a 5 man rush but a delayed blitz up the middle gets to Flacco after his finishes his dropback and scans. Flacco should have got rid of it and Lindsay was there to block the blitzer, saw it, but was too late getting over to block his guy. We get out of jail as it's illegal contact on the Raiders but Flacco needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball especially when it was only 1st down.
    We run a couple of times and lose James at RT to injury.
    2nd down and Flacco completely screws up on a sure fire big gain putting us inside their 10. Raiders blow their coverage on the back end when the slot CB blitzes, Flacco was staring right at him, leaving Hamilton completely wide open for a long gain but for some reason Flacco commits to the outside throw too early that's covered and tries to throw a fade? WTF?
    Piss poor by Flacco who as a veteran should have burned the defense for an easy TD. Gets worse next play when it's 3rd and long, Raiders rush 5, Wilkinson gets beat on an inside move while Freeman shows no awareness by running past the DE instead of putting in a chip to block (how stupid) and Flacco fumbles the ball.
    This is pretty sh*tty play from a veteran QB who should know better. You see five at the line, with extra blitzers and you know you have to either throw it quick or settle for a FG. Flacco fumbles instead, we recover and punt.

3rd Drive Raiders TD.
    Long drive by the raiders again fuelled by excellent play by Carr. We held the run game in check but Carr was pinpoint completing throws over the middle. We got really aggressive on defense constantly blitzing but Carr was up to it hitting the soft spots in coverage because we committed our LBers to blitz.
    Yiadom was picked on again on a long bomb to the midfield but wasn't really his fault, no deep safety and even though he was right there the throw was perfect.

3rd Drive by Denver, missed FG.
    Started off very well. We get to the midfield thanks to consistent quick throws over the middle and get into the rhythm running a hurry up offense.
    But the offense completely stalls at midfield. We ran like 7 plays there that amounted to nothing thanks for penalties by both teams and poor throws by Flacco. It was tough to watch because the guys were open but Flacco was either off on his accuracy, too late on throws, and had another batted down at the line.
    McManus misses a 64 yarder and we go into the half down 14-0 instead of it being 14-6.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This offense is going to be tough to watch if they keep this level of sloppy play going. Poor awareness of down and distance, poor blocking upfront by RBs/TEs, and Flacco was mediocre outside of a couple of good throws.

Also our run game was blatantly obvious. We lined up several times in tight formation with only 1 wide which basically telegraphed run play. We're not good enough to be that obvious and run game suffered. Run concepts can be and should be as diverse as the passing game and when you make it that obvious then you better be great blocking up front, or at least fake to a pass play at times like the raiders did on the long throw to Williams in the 2nd quarter. We did neither.

Gruden had his team well prepared and most importantly they executed very well. Outside of penalties, the raiders played mistake free football and you could tell their players were pumped up and ready to go.
    Last edited by fontaine; 09-10-2019, 03:21 AM.

I am not sure why every team just doesn’t copy the patriots plat with the play action pass on a slant or crossing route over the middle.

Comment

Thanks Fontaine.

Comment

Ouch, before I even read this. Thanks Fontaine for your breakdowns.

Comment

Coach is learning too. Vance won his first 2 games here both seasons... maybe its better this way.

Bolles didn't get flagged last night. that's an improvement from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post
            Coach is learning too. Vance won his first 2 games here both seasons... maybe its better this way.

Bolles didn't get flagged last night. that's an improvement from last year.
            I kept expecting the flags to be him. I was surprised. If he can keep that up, that's a positive.

Comment

I think folks are going to be disappointed with lack of aggressiveness from this defense.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                I think folks are going to be disappointed with lack of aggressiveness from this defense.
                I think folks are going to disappointed with bad play. Clearly Fangio was not prepared for this game, regardless of his defense. How long does it take to learn? This was simply poor preparation. And that’s on Vic.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

I think folks are going to disappointed with bad play. Clearly Fangio was not prepared for this game, regardless of his defense. How long does it take to learn? This was simply poor preparation. And that’s on Vic.
                  So Fangio defense is more read and react then Wades . Plus he going to have Miller drop in zone more. From what I saw last night, the defense scheme was working like it was designed. The players weren't making plays, but the scheme was fully in place.

Comment

the raiders lined up and ran it down the the Broncos' throat to set the tone. No D scheme really matters there. That's just players dominating their match ups.

We need a lead or a better space hogging NT. I like shelby but he's not that type of player.

Comment

So let's look at the good and bad from Flacco's first game.

2nd drive 1st and 10 we spread out the defense with multiple WRs.
                      Flacco looks right doing a great job of holding the outside LBer who's dropped in coverage.
                      Because Flacco held the LBer, he has a window he's created and executed through great anticipation and accuracy throwing Sutton open over the middle.
                      This is a great play since it's not reliant on tricks/misdirection but just one QB creating a window with his eyes and completing with great accuracy over the middle allowing Sutton to keep running in stride for a big gain.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Sometimes you prepare like crazy and just get your ass beat. Carr was on target with most throws, our secondary could not cover their receivers, and they game-planned Miller and Chubb into obscurity with quick throws - and the fact that their receivers were open every. ****ing. play.

Comment

**** yeah, Fontaine gif time!

Comment

watching that clip. great throw and... at least leary can block.

Comment

our offensive line looks terrible. and what was with that dumb gimmick play in the redzone?!?! we had the momentum and you call that gimmick play!?!? come on Scags!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X