Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pats fan: Why The 2019 Denver Broncos Could Be Better Than You Think

Have to agree with this evaluation.

I've heard several national sports commentators, Colin Cowherd for one, say much the same thing about the Broncos this year. Not a playoff team, but dangerous with that defense plus having a vet QB in Flacco. My prediction is 7-9, but a flip to 9-7 is not out of the realm of possibility as things go in the NFL.

Comment

Their big problem to me as I see it is simply their schedule. That of course can change, but looking at the schedule right now, it is not an easy one.

Comment

I think the team can be better than some expect, but the schedule is brutal, and the depth after the starters on offense isnt good.

But he did bring up some good points.

Comment

There's so much parity in the NFL that I don't believe in the whole "Broncos have a hard schedule" line of reasoning. Good teams can quickly become bad teams and vice versa so do the Broncos really have a tough schedule?

I think it was just last year or a few years ago that people were saying that the Broncos had a difficult schedule but by the end of the season many KC posters were saying "oh you guys have played an easy schedule" to down play any wins the Broncos did have...

Comment

Fair enough assessment, if the Defense stays healthy they could very well make the playoffs... these Broncos strike me a team perfect for outside games in December and January...

it’s kind of intriguing a team like this with no real expectations... just alot of potential upside...

Comment

Cravens cut and Butt hurt.

Other than that, some good points.

Comment

Let's examine the schedule......and before we do, I've seen a few instances where a mediocre team suddenly becomes a playoff team because the schedule flips in their favor. 2010 KC is an example of a team that had and "easy" schedule coming into the season...it was a last place sched and they caught a weak NFC division that year...had some very timely special teams returns and it all broke just right....that was a HORRIBLE football team..probably really only had 5-11 talent but went 10-6 and on the division...totally schedule driven...Then there was the 2018 Colts. Yes they added a very good guard, and a very good LB...but Andrew Luck was the real difference maker, and they played what might be the easiest set of 16 games in NFL history. It wasn't that easy a schedule before the year started....just the way the injuries, especially to QB's that they ran into, was incredibly fortuitous. So....yes, just because myself, or others have pronounced the Broncos have a hard schedule, doens't meant it will be...or if the Broncos, by some impossible miracle, get a version of Joe Flacco that is more like Rich Gannon or Jeff Garcia...then the schedule isn't so hard......having said all that....we can only project based on what we know right now, and what we reasonably expect players like Flacco to do....so here is my breakdown, game by game.....

Week 1 @ Oakland
                Win (1-0)
                As far as I'm concerned, the Raiders still SUCK. They won't be able to rush the passer, they are a circus and any gains they MIGHT get on offense with AB, won't show up in week 1 becasue that dude hasn't been working with Carr to develop any timing or raport. Your defense should feast on a bad o-line. Flacco won't face an easier pass rush than this all year...he should have time to operate, and the play action ought to be effective. It's a MUST win if the Broncos have any hope of surprising this year...they CAN NOT lose this rare winnable road game in division.

Week 2 Chicago
                Loss (1-1)
                This one will sting because it will most likely be the type of low scoring, ball control type game that Denver wants to play and expects to win. I can see this being something like 16-13. The difference will be that the Bears D makes life hell for Flacco...and with no run game working either..The Broncos can't sustain drives.

Week 3 @ Green Bay
                Loss (1-2)
                Happy Aaron Rodgers, with healthy weapons around him and what should be an OK D, at home....Rodgers makes plays when it counts, and the Pack pull away in the 4th. Denver gets too far behind and have to rely on Flacco to stay even...he isn't equal to the task.

Week 4 Jacksonville
                Loss (1-3)
                Again, just like the bears game...the D keeps it interesting, but the Broncos offense is overwhelmed by the Jags D. Jags succeed in stopping the run, Flacco unable to get the play action game working, Broncos on the wrong end of a lower scoring afair again...13-9

Week 5 @ Los Angeles Chargers
                Win (2-4)
                Denver won this road game last year....Chargers games in Los Angeles are practicaly like an extra home game for the visitor. I'm calling this a win, this would be one of those games/teams that looks a bit tough going into a season, but there is a real chance the Chargers fall off a cliff. Rivers may hit the wall, Gordon may still be holding out. Bosa may be hurt...if not him probably someone else important will be. I don't see the Chargers as being as scary as many think they are. Ironically, Denver goes to 2-0 in the division with both wins coming on the road.

Week 6 Tennessee
                Win (3-4)
                Tennessee is a team that has more problems than Denver does on their roster, and Denver is a tough place to win a road game. This may well be Mariotta's last game as a starting NFL QB. Denver handles this one, in what may well be their best game of the year. 24-10 Broncos.

Week 7 Kansas City
                Loss (3-5)
                I could write something here, but no one would take it seriously....KC wins

Week 8 @ Indianapolis
                Loss (3-6)
                This is another game where you might say...wait, Luck reitred...this game could be winnable...you've even mentioned Zero that the Colts are a 4-12 team with Brisset at QB. They are. But in a twist of irony, the Colts will have determined that in fact, Jacoby Brissett does suck, and SWAG gets his first NFL start, upsetting the Broncos 18-17. This loss also really kills the morale of the team.

Week 9 Cleveland
                Loss (3-7)
                The Browns win. More talent accross the board. Denver O, struggles as Cleveland gets out to a lead.

Week 10 @ Minnesota
                Loss (3-8)
                Denver hangs in for a bit, but again, needing a play from the QB, they don't get any, Minnesota pulls away in the 2nd half on the way to an easy win.

Week 11 @ Buffalo Loss (3-9) The Bills and an exciting Josh Allen and strong D, handle the Broncos....Broncos again, find it hard to get the run game on track, Flacco can't make enough plays to get some dudes out of the box. Allen frustrates the Denver pass rush by escaping and making plays.

Week 12 Los Angeles Chargers
                Win (4-8)
                Same as before...the once promising Chargers season by this point is a lost cause. Rivers has lost it, too many injuries. Gordon is back, but he can't carry the team. Denver gets the W, sweeping the Bolts, and going....3-1 in the division so far.

Week 13 @ Houston Win (5-8)
                This isn't a good matchup for the Texans. Their O line is awful. Denvers pass rush dominates. Watson can't get anyhting going under constant pressure all day. The Texan D isn't exactly awesome either...Broncos have their way in this one, 24 - 20 with the score being closer than the actual game itself really is.

​​​​​​​Week 14 @ Kansas City Loss (5-9)
                .....Again, I could write something here, but you'd all take issue with it no matter what. Patrick Mahomes.

Week 15 Detroit
                Loss (5-10)
                The Lions are mostly a **** show, but TJ Hockenson can't be covered by your week LB corps and Stafford finds him for 10, 120 and 2 TD. Special teams snafu's bite the Broncos and they lose a home game they should win.

Week 16 Oakland
                Loss (5-11)
                By this time the Raiders have actually found some momentum with Gruden,Carr and AB....they are playing for a wild card spot, Denver is not. Denver, with nothing to play for and trailing at halftime, fight to the end, but outcome has been decided and so has Denvers fate....a high pick in the 2020 draft and a seat on the couch watching the Chiefs win the super bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
                  I could write something here, but no one would take it seriously
                  This was all you really had to type.

Perhaps just repeat this to yourself whenever you feel the urge to post from now on, and then don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                    There's so much parity in the NFL that I don't believe in the whole "Broncos have a hard schedule" line of reasoning. Good teams can quickly become bad teams and vice versa so do the Broncos really have a tough schedule?

I think it was just last year or a few years ago that people were saying that the Broncos had a difficult schedule but by the end of the season many KC posters were saying "oh you guys have played an easy schedule" to down play any wins the Broncos did have...
                    I agree with this totally. Every year there are a bunch of teams that are supposed to be dominant, and they end up being awful. And then there are a bunch more that were supposed to be awful, and they have a great year. And then there is a small handful of teams that are consistent every year. Strength of schedule to me hasn't meant squat the last 5 years. So I am not looking at that at all. The Chefs will be good, so that's two hard games. But I think we'll split, winning at home against them. Raiders suck. Chargers we probably will split as well.

I'm more worried about what we'll do to ourselves, than what others team will do to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
                      This was all you really had to type.

Perhaps just repeat this to yourself whenever you feel the urge to post from now on, and then don't.
                      Yep and all I have to type is Did not read.

Comment

I think it is the depth of Denver's roster that will have them in the bottom tier of teams.

Comment

Working...
                        X