Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In all seriousness, how hard would it be for the XFL to land say Trevor Lawrence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In all seriousness, how hard would it be for the XFL to land say Trevor Lawrence?

The NFL and the rookie cap, will be something that will be a real problem. I know Trevor Lawrence is a different kind of person, but he will be hiring agent. If the XFL is able to double the offer of money due to that rookie cap......how hard will it be?

One domino will fall, and it will be a lot like the USFL taking the stars.

Maybe I am wrong about it, but what is stop the XFL from doing that?

kyler Murray got $35 mil guaranteed so there’s your starting point. Not sure what premium the XFL would have to pay to get him. The xfl needs a star though and a few big time contracts on star college QBs would be a smart idea

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
      The NFL and the rookie cap, will be something that will be a real problem. I know Trevor Lawrence is a different kind of person, but he will be hiring agent. If the XFL is able to double the offer of money due to that rookie cap......how hard will it be?

One domino will fall, and it will be a lot like the USFL taking the stars.

Maybe I am wrong about it, but what is stop the XFL from doing that?
      It will be harder now than back when the USFL was able to poach Jim Kelley for a season. The NFL just has a much higher level of prestige now compared to the early 80's and the XFL is a league that already failed once.

So, if the XFL legit wants one of the most highly regarded QB prospects coming out in the 2020 draft, they will have to at least match some of the USFL offers. That means a fully guaranteed 5 year rookie contract that gets paid out no matter what happens to the league during that time. And the prospect gets to choose where he plays. Also, the QB prospect gets his own shoe/equipment deal. And full assurances that he can transition back to the NFL at any time if this doesn't work out. Even then, bit of a longshot.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post

It will be harder now than back when the USFL was able to poach Jim Kelley for a season. The NFL just has a much higher level of prestige now compared to the early 80's and the XFL is a league that already failed once.

So, if the XFL legit wants one of the most highly regarded QB prospects coming out in the 2020 draft, they will have to at least match some of the USFL offers. That means a fully guaranteed 5 year rookie contract that gets paid out no matter what happens to the league during that time. And the prospect gets to choose where he plays. Also, the QB prospect gets his own shoe/equipment deal. And full assurances that he can transition back to the NFL at any time if this doesn't work out. Even then, bit of a longshot.
        I think Vince McMahon made the mistake the first time that many of us think and many other leagues have made. That is the notion that we are so addicted to the sport of football, that it was just an automatic success. Especially with the rules he implemented where he wanted to improve on the things that makes the game boring to the average fan. It ended up being that the XFL really did not have any marketable person other than that guy with He Hate Me on the back of his jersey. The mistake was the notion that we are more passionate about the sport than we are about the stars (next would be the brand or actual franchise.)

What McMahon knows and this is where this will be going, is it is about the stars. Personally, I think it is more about the franchises that we follow and the stars are the next thing. Meaning passionate NY Giants fans are not going to all of a sudden follow some other team if Eli Manning signs with them. I do believe and have always believed if the NFL started an offseason league (even if it was a 7 on 7 type of thing with no contact) that represent each NFL team that it would succeed.

Anyway, it is apparent to me that te XFL (McMahon and Luck) are determined to make it succeed and they are understanding that it does to large degree rely on star power. They will more than likely be going after the stars coming out of college. All it is going to take is that first domino.

Comment

The other question is there a possibility Andrew Luck could be persuaded to play a season with XFL, it would certainly help his dad Oliver Luck who serves as the Commissioner of the XFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
            The other question is there a possibility Andrew Luck could be persuaded to play a season with XFL, it would certainly help his dad Oliver Luck who serves as the Commissioner of the XFL.
            I happen to think that is precisely what is going to happen.

Comment

If the XFL wants to find a way to attract fans, I have a suggestion that I think would go a loooooong way to drawing some over. Get rid of excessive ad breaks. You have a decent length ad break to end each quarter and one ad break at each two minute warning. Other than that, you keep the camera on the field and on the game. No more going to commercial after every punt or change of possession. I absolutely hate when a team scores towards the end of the quarter and the broadcast goes to ad break following the touchdown, then again following the kick-off, then again one play later when the quarter ends. In a ten minute period you get 40 seconds of actual football.

Also, have all challenges handled and reviewed by the booth with a 2 minute time limit. If the booth can't find convincing evidence to overturn the call in 2 minutes, it stands. Keep the game moving and get rid of periods of players just milling around during a challenge or waiting to come back from an ad break. In a ten minute period you get maybe 40 seconds of actual football.

Comment

will the XFL last more than one season?

I'm betting the under

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                  If the XFL wants to find a way to attract fans, I have a suggestion that I think would go a loooooong way to drawing some over. Get rid of excessive ad breaks. You have a decent length ad break to end each quarter and one ad break at each two minute warning. Other than that, you keep the camera on the field and on the game. No more going to commercial after every punt or change of possession. I absolutely hate when a team scores towards the end of the quarter and the broadcast goes to ad break following the touchdown, then again following the kick-off, then again one play later when the quarter ends. In a ten minute period you get 40 seconds of actual football.

Also, have all challenges handled and reviewed by the booth with a 2 minute time limit. If the booth can't find convincing evidence to overturn the call in 2 minutes, it stands. Keep the game moving and get rid of periods of players just milling around during a challenge or waiting to come back from an ad break. In a ten minute period you get maybe 40 seconds of actual football.
                  The AAF eliminated TV timeouts and reduced ads by 60% and shortened the play clock to 30 seconds. It really helped the flow of the game.

Comment

No Player poised to be Drafted in the first...3 rounds of the NFL draft is going to go to the XFL instead. The XFL, has a fraction of the capital to spend compared to NFL. Vince could try and entice players (someone like Luck) with some type of league stake but the league has a low chance of even being successful its a terrible investment for the player.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post

The AAF eliminated TV timeouts and reduced ads by 60% and shortened the play clock to 30 seconds. It really helped the flow of the game.
                      And they didn't even get to finish their season. its a one pro league world for Football.

Comment

XFL isn’t going to poach real talent. People only care about the NFL. Always has been always will be.

I cant even remember the name of that league that just folded a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jmz313 View Post

And they didn't even get to finish their season. its a one pro league world for Football.
                          Was just a really poor attempt.

It's folly to think you're going to start any kind of major sports league in this country without losing a lot of money the first few years. The fact that they weren't prepared for that eventuality says they failed before they started.

Comment

Aint no going to the XFL, NFL is where you get the money.

No big name player will choose the XFL over the NFL. If Luck comes back, it'll be with the NFL.

Comment

I think all it will take is the first domino so to speak. Don't underestimate the money McMahon has.

Hoping you are all right.

Comment

Working...
                              X