X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cito Pelon
    replied
    Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Locks fine. He needs to play with the 2's. He played with total dog crap last night. How many snaps were in the dirt last night? You rewatched the game. 6? How many dropped passes? 6?
    The o line are guys who aren't going to be on the team in 10 days and Brown and McKnight can't catch. Hell, even Winfree catches the hard ones and then he drops the wide open passes. Same for #48. Dude cant catch. Lock made his mistakes but he was running for his life much of the game. Mohammed not even chip blocking on the safety wasn't helping either. And he still orchestrated points and made plays. He plays with the 2's He'll look a lot better.
    Den Biggest issue is the depth. The starters are fine. But the depth on the Oline for example is really bad. Cant have any injuries. That's concerning.

Upside Is the starters are good. Which is nice for a change. You could tell there was a set system in place and they were all on the same page. Never saw that last couple years. Flacco was in command and the run game and more importantly the outlet passing game to the RB's was clearly featured in just the short time the starting offense was out there. It's very reminiscent of that ATL-Shanahan offense.
    The starting O line for being on the field for the 1st time was monstrous. No penalties. None.
    Risner was ragdolling folks. Bolles did his job. Which is what we all wanted to see. Nothing super special, but consistent and doing his job, not making major mistakes against starters.
    This is a good sign because if the run game is there, in this offense the passing game will open up.

The D was even more impressive. Like 2015 impressive. They weren't even trying. Von was at 2% and they were collapsing the pocket and in the backfield. This D is evil. Loaded in the secondary.
    Bausby, Yiadom, and Su'a all were in prime from and they were the question marks prior to this year. Not anymore. If this team can get competent play from the ILB position, which none of the starters played, and the interior pass rush is collapsing the pocket, this team is a top 3 D. Maybe #1. Vic has it and it shows. But to me, to be the best in the league will fall on if Dremont Jones can be an impact player at DE. If he can get going and really find his legs and start rotating in with Wolfe and Gotstis........look out, cause that rush is already monstrous.
    And remember Vic and Scans were playing vanilla. Not showing much.
    Wow man, I didn't see six snaps in the dirt, did see Lock throw into the dirt twice to wide open guys. Didn't see much from the run game, yeah, a 10-yd run and a 50-yarder, but damn near every other rush attempt was stuffed at the LOS. Did see Flacco stare at a wide open Sutton on the right in the redzone, ignore him, then turn to the left and hit Freeman for one yard. Then after the rush attempts were stuffed, proceeded to toss an uncatchable pass to Sutton in the endzone.

Whatever, I realize the O system takes some getting used to especially with new coaches, three new QB's, an inexperienced center, new RT, new LG, rookie TE's. So far I think Scang & Co have things going as well as can be expected given the circumstances and only two games into preseason. Just have to wait and see how it pans out . . . . .

Leave a comment:

• Brohemoth
    replied
    Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

I don't get comments like this, isn't this another variation of the Shanahan offense that the Falcons ran when Matty Ice had one of his best years as a QB and the team should have won the SB?
    I would flip it. Shanahan's offense is the variation. We'll see if Scangs is closer to Kubiak or Kyle.

Given Scangs admitted he was more conservative until he worked under Kyle, I worry about his nature.

Leave a comment:

• Tombstone RJ
    replied
    Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post

Take away Freeman's 50 yard run and Freeman and Lindsay combined for 6 carries for 9 yards (1.5 avg).

Scangs better figure it out quick. An elite run game is literally the only thing that justifies this fossilized offense.
    I don't get comments like this, isn't this another variation of the Shanahan offense that the Falcons ran when Matty Ice had one of his best years as a QB and the team should have won the SB?

Leave a comment:

• Brohemoth
    replied
    Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post

Yeah when you average the scrubs and starters it looks ugly --
    Take away Freeman's 50 yard run and Freeman and Lindsay combined for 6 carries for 9 yards (1.5 avg).

Scangs better figure it out quick. An elite run game is literally the only thing that justifies this fossilized offense.

Leave a comment:

• mhgaffney
    replied
    I did not see the game -- but watched the highlights. Lynch looked like a legitimate NFL QB. All of the Lynch hate in here notwithstanding. The contrast between the negative spin on him in here and his performance last night could not be greater. It does appear that the few intelligent comments about poor coaching are correct. Let's hope Lock has an easier time in Denver than Lynch did.

Leave a comment:

• mhgaffney
    replied
    Originally posted by Brohemoth View Post

Where are you guys getting this from? Take away Freeman's 50 yard run and we ran 19 times for 41 yards (2.2 avg).
    Yeah when you average the scrubs and starters it looks ugly --

Leave a comment:

• socalorado
    replied
    Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

Murray looked pretty good btw. You are boxscore scouting.
    There's nothing to box score. He threw a couple outs to open receivers waiting for the ball and took a sack. Your overrating his very meh vanilla preformance, but over criticizing another.

Leave a comment:

• Brohemoth
    replied
    Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post
    This season Denver looks to have a strong run game -- maybe an elite run game. That will set up the pass for Flacco. This will make the Defense even better.
    Where are you guys getting this from? Take away Freeman's 50 yard run and we ran 19 times for 41 yards (2.2 avg).

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoBuff
    replied
    Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Locks fine. He needs to play with the 2's. He played with total dog crap last night. How many snaps were in the dirt last night? You rewatched the game. 6? How many dropped passes? 6?
    The o line are guys who aren't going to be on the team in 10 days and Brown and McKnight can't catch. Hell, even Winfree catches the hard ones and then he drops the wide open passes. Same for #48. Dude cant catch. Lock made his mistakes but he was running for his life much of the game. Mohammed not even chip blocking on the safety wasn't helping either. And he still orchestrated points and made plays. He plays with the 2's He'll look a lot better.
    Den Biggest issue is the depth. The starters are fine. But the depth on the Oline for example is really bad. Cant have any injuries. That's concerning.

Upside Is the starters are good. Which is nice for a change. You could tell there was a set system in place and they were all on the same page. Never saw that last couple years. Flacco was in command and the run game and more importantly the outlet passing game to the RB's was clearly featured in just the short time the starting offense was out there. It's very reminiscent of that ATL-Shanahan offense.
    The starting O line for being on the field for the 1st time was monstrous. No penalties. None.
    Risner was ragdolling folks. Bolles did his job. Which is what we all wanted to see. Nothing super special, but consistent and doing his job, not making major mistakes against starters.
    This is a good sign because if the run game is there, in this offense the passing game will open up.

The D was even more impressive. Like 2015 impressive. They weren't even trying. Von was at 2% and they were collapsing the pocket and in the backfield. This D is evil. Loaded in the secondary.
    Bausby, Yiadom, and Su'a all were in prime from and they were the question marks prior to this year. Not anymore. If this team can get competent play from the ILB position, which none of the starters played, and the interior pass rush is collapsing the pocket, this team is a top 3 D. Maybe #1. Vic has it and it shows. But to me, to be the best in the league will fall on if Dremont Jones can be an impact player at DE. If he can get going and really find his legs and start rotating in with Wolfe and Gotstis........look out, cause that rush is already monstrous.
    And remember Vic and Scans were playing vanilla. Not showing much.
    Agree. O-Line depth is terrible. The D was impressive and I am impressed with Alexander Johnson.....the kid keeps getting better and better with playing time he has been given due to injuries. Played much better than Berria, Watson or Dineen last night, imo.

Leave a comment:

• socalorado
    replied
    Originally posted by Action View Post

Yeah he did, but he is playing in the exact same offense he has since forever. Dude was looking like a vet out there.
    Oh yeah. He threw a few 5-6 yard outs to open receiver on the outside. And he took a sack.
    That's about it. Looked like a real vet out there. He looked scared. And was unproductive.
    Chargers D is legit though and I don't think AZ was going to just leave him out there for an extended period of time. Jury is still out. Those, simple out balls to a receiver who runs 5 yards and then turns around aren't going to get it done in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• Zerovoltz
    replied
    My opinion that no one wants or asked for, but you get it anyway -

only saw saw first half. I don’t put a lot into preseason games. I try to look at individual players here and there because preseason games are too vanilla and often we don’t know what the coaches are wanting to take a look at.

Just a couple observations -

1. Joe Flacco completed 3 passes. The three competitions were all behind the line of scrimmage when caught. Way small sample, but the short dink passing offense that you’ll get with Flacco is going to result in a lot of drives that end in 3 instead of 7. Surely they will rev up some play action when it counts.

2. Lindsay is legit. That isn’t news to anyone but his first carry showed why he’s special.

3. Noah Fant can’t block. Again that isn’t news. But I did watch him completely half ass it and allow a few running plays to get blown up.

4. That McGovern guy was getting his ass blasted backward a lot too

5. I didn’t see the second half, but read this thread, from what I’ve seen and read, it sounds like Lock is living up to his scouting report.

Im willing to take a bet or two on Lock being the 3rd string QB when the season starts.

I called this a 5-11 team months ago. Not too late to get that free Vegas cash taking the under on that 7.5 wins I’ve seen posted there.

im still thinking about 4-5 wins. The running game would have to be exceptional and while it should be good, I don’t think the line overall is going to be that good.

Still early. New coach, system, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mhgaffney
    replied
    This season Denver looks to have a strong run game -- maybe an elite run game. That will set up the pass for Flacco. This will make the Defense even better.

Leave a comment:

• Cito Pelon
    replied
    Team looked flat, un-focused. I wish I'd seen the game live last night instead of the NFLN replay being the first viewing of it. I read this thread before viewing the NFLN replay, though. Some thoughts:

- Justin Simmons takes bad angles still, ran right past an RB.
    - Flacco didn't look good. For some reason he ignored Sutton wide open in the flat in the redzone, he was looking right at him on the right!!! Turns to the left and hits Royce who was lucky to get the 1st down. Then throws a terrible pass to Sutton in the endzone.
    - Hogan didn't play enough to really show anything.
    - The running game was blah. Lindsay had a decent 10 yd run and Freeman a 50 yarder, great, but the rest of the runs in the game were ineffective. Can't keep the chains moving with a run game like that.
    - Lock didn't look good, but OTOH he didn't look completely lost as we've seen many times with rookies. Footwork didn't look good to me, throwing off his back foot a lot even with decent pockets, should have been picked a couple times on outs, threw into the dirt to wide open guys.
    Hopefully he gets better.
    - ILB sure is thin.
    - Paxton looked kinda decent, but he was done here, wouldn't have worked out. Same with Siemian, but that's off tangent.
    - Fangio, every time I see him on the sideline he's not doing anything, not saying anything.

Anyway, we're only two PS games with a new staff, new systems, on the road.

Leave a comment:

• Brohemoth
    replied

He played 1 drive too.
    You're right, a drive with starters including Fitzgerald and Johnson, in a QB-friendly offense tailored for him.

Give Lock our starting line, Sanders, Lindsay, Sutton, and Fant, and a spread offense. I doubt he throws the ball 10 yards out of the endzone like Flacco did.

(and no, I am not arguing that he is ready to supplant Flacco)

Leave a comment:

• Action
    replied

Murray looked pretty good btw. You are boxscore scouting.
    Yeah he did, but he is playing in the exact same offense he has since forever. Dude was looking like a vet out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X