Game Day Thread: Preseason Week 1: Denver Broncos vs. Seattle Seahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
    After re-watching Lock's snaps, his best throws were the ones to Fumagalli [which even surprised the TE, as if the ball had materialized in his hands], Trinity Benson down the left side and the 2PC Winfree that reminded me of Cutler's TD pass to Tony Scheffler against the Chargers in 2008.

However, I think there are plenty of things to be concerned about. His tendency to scramble for loss of yards instead of throwing the ball away: it was an issue in college [see the game vs South Carolina 2018] and he's not showing the awareness to stop doing it in the NFL.

His lack of feel for the play in the pocket was a big issue in college and there were two clear examples yesterday. The structure is crumbling because of the pass rush, and he can see it, but he does not speed up the process. Muhammad should have picked up the blitz, but Lock was looking right at the free rusher, he knew what was coming, and Aston was open for an easy dump pass on the left. Even Muhammad was open for a dump pass when the defender went right by him. Lock just kept making his normal reads as if nothing was happening right in front of him.

Same thing in the interception. The free rusher is right in front of Lock, but he continues to go through his throwing motion as if he were not going to get hit. That was a play to take the sack and live for the 4th down. Against Alabama in 2018, Lock kept fighting against a sack while holding the ball loosely, then he tried to switch the ball from his right hand to his left hand for no reason, and the play turned into a fumble recovered by Alabama.

Last week, the DB missed a pick-six after Lock misfired the pass. Yesterday, another pick-six was dropped in the 4th quarter when Lock made an awful throw with no pressure, he was just very late and threw right into the DB's hands. That was a bizarre play for a QB that played a lot of football in the SEC. Even his last throw in the game was a mess, it was a low ball at the WR's ankle and the DB almost made the interception.

There were 3 really good throws, the zone-read run was nice, but overall he was very erratic. He's not even stepping into his throws, his footwork is still dead despite all the coaching in the Senior Bowl, the work with Jordan Palmer and now OTAs/training camp. He misses the easy stuff because of his footwork and inconsistent accuracy. He needs lot of work, a lot of reps since he won't play this season, who knows how much he will learn on the bench since he won't have game reps to work on his mechanics and awareness, and it's imperative that the Broncos keep this system for the 2020 season and beyond.
    Rod, it's a preseason game. His 2nd ever. Let it go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

I’m not jumping off. I’m calling him for what he is. Super talent/physical who “still learning how to play”. He’s thrown into WR1 when he should be a 2nd 3rd. I hope to see big things, but I’m not expecting him to become some instant star. He still has a lot to learn.

Im echoing what Legwold has said cause IMO he’s right.

https://es.pn/2TenouV
      He will be our WR2 once Sanders comes back, no?

Comment

Outside of sanders who is proven? Who is reliable?

Your mom is
        Im sorry I could not resist. Taco and mods. DB and I are cool I am just messing with him.

Comment

I’m not jumping off. I’m calling him for what he is. Super talent/physical who “still learning how to play”. He’s thrown into WR1 when he should be a 2nd 3rd. I hope to see big things, but I’m not expecting him to become some instant star. He still has a lot to learn.

Im echoing what Legwold has said cause IMO he’s right.

https://es.pn/2TenouV
          I will say that Flacco as much as a am not a huge fan does help in that area. He's made some mediocre WRs much better than they ever were. I like that the entire WRs corps is young and talented. They need to gel. It might take some time, but this is how your build a team. Draft the players and let them grow up. What should they have done? Gone out and signed a vet receiver?
          Whats the point of building a team if you don't trust the process. It'll happen, Drunk.

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post

Your mom is
            Im sorry I could not resist. Taco and mods. DB and I are cool I am just messing with him.

Click image for larger version  Name:	source.gif Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	2480606

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
              After re-watching Lock's snaps, his best throws were the ones to Fumagalli [which even surprised the TE, as if the ball had materialized in his hands], Trinity Benson down the left side and the 2PC Winfree that reminded me of Cutler's TD pass to Tony Scheffler against the Chargers in 2008.

However, I think there are plenty of things to be concerned about. His tendency to scramble for loss of yards instead of throwing the ball away: it was an issue in college [see the game vs South Carolina 2018] and he's not showing the awareness to stop doing it in the NFL.

His lack of feel for the play in the pocket was a big issue in college and there were two clear examples yesterday. The structure is crumbling because of the pass rush, and he can see it, but he does not speed up the process. Muhammad should have picked up the blitz, but Lock was looking right at the free rusher, he knew what was coming, and Aston was open for an easy dump pass on the left. Even Muhammad was open for a dump pass when the defender went right by him. Lock just kept making his normal reads as if nothing was happening right in front of him.

Same thing in the interception. The free rusher is right in front of Lock, but he continues to go through his throwing motion as if he were not going to get hit. That was a play to take the sack and live for the 4th down. Against Alabama in 2018, Lock kept fighting against a sack while holding the ball loosely, then he tried to switch the ball from his right hand to his left hand for no reason, and the play turned into a fumble recovered by Alabama.

Last week, the DB missed a pick-six after Lock misfired the pass. Yesterday, another pick-six was dropped in the 4th quarter when Lock made an awful throw with no pressure, he was just very late and threw right into the DB's hands. That was a bizarre play for a QB that played a lot of football in the SEC. Even his last throw in the game was a mess, it was a low ball at the WR's ankle and the DB almost made the interception.

There were 3 really good throws, the zone-read run was nice, but overall he was very erratic. He's not even stepping into his throws, his footwork is still dead despite all the coaching in the Senior Bowl, the work with Jordan Palmer and now OTAs/training camp. He misses the easy stuff because of his footwork and inconsistent accuracy. He needs lot of work, a lot of reps since he won't play this season, who knows how much he will learn on the bench since he won't have game reps to work on his mechanics and awareness, and it's imperative that the Broncos keep this system for the 2020 season and beyond.
              These are all valid points, and I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't still a lot of work for Lock to be NFL ready. However, the progress he showed between his reps in the HOF game and yesterday was pretty stark.

I think everyone should be encouraged.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dedhed View Post

Here's a link to every throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPw0WZ_nkSU

Please tell the time stamps where Lock threw into the dirt to wide open receivers. I'll wait....

....Forever, btw, because they aren't there.
                That's eye opening for someone who didn't get to see the game. He looked solid. Made some throws under pressure.

Shows the danger of relying on commenters here--based on some people you would've thought he was terrible.

Comment

• Lock's game is so similar to a young Jay Cutler (Lock faster release). Both poor foot mechanics lol

Comment

• Maybe you’re confusing Hogan for him. Cause Hogan sucked and threw it in the dirt.

Next game Lock should go number 2.

Comment

• I'm wondering if they're even working on his mechanics at all.

Every time Fangio talks about Lock it sounds like they're starting from square 1 with him...simple **** like calling NFL plays, doing line checks, reading pre snap defense, taking snaps from center.

My guess is they want him to master these first before worrying about the mechanics (which probably would need to be worked on in the off season).

Comment

Maybe you’re confusing Hogan for him. Cause Hogan sucked and threw it in the dirt.

Next game Lock should go number 2.
                        Yeah they need to stop ****ing around with this. Lock isn't going to really beat out Hogan right now, Hogan looks like he knows what he's doing and what he wants to do, but just a back up caliber QB.

Give Flacco reps with 1st team, let Lock come in with second team and learn. Hogan can go in at the end of the game if they really think it's necessary - but any reps not going to Lock right now to anyone not named Flacco is a major waste of resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by manchambo View Post

That's eye opening for someone who didn't get to see the game. He looked solid. Made some throws under pressure.

Shows the danger of relying on commenters here--based on some people you would've thought he was terrible.
                          There will be some people who will always only look at the negatives.

He was much better than last week. There were some negatives: He was late reading a few blitzes, made one really poor decision throwing late off his back foot on the near INT, and his footwork was still rough at times.

But the progress was obvious. He was much more decisive, getting the ball out on time much more often, Footwork was cleaner for the most part, made some throws that were legit high level NFL throws, he got through his progressions better, and I didn't see any balls that were outside the catchable radius of the intended target unless his arm was hit in the process of the throw.

It was much more encouraging than last week where I was concerned. This week had me saying, "Hmm..Ok, there may be something here. Still a long way to go, but there is NFL potential there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Action View Post
                            I'm wondering if they're even working on his mechanics at all.

Every time Fangio talks about Lock it sounds like they're starting from square 1 with him...simple **** like calling NFL plays, doing line checks, reading pre snap defense, taking snaps from center.

My guess is they want him to master these first before worrying about the mechanics (which probably would need to be worked on in the off season).
                            That "Simple ****" isn't really that simple, especially for someone who never did it in college. all of those things are a far bigger priority than his mechanics in terms of being ready for a backup role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Action View Post
                              Lock's game is so similar to a young Jay Cutler (Lock faster release). Both poor foot mechanics lol
                              Lock is a carbon copy of Cutler. You've even been saying this since we 1st started discussing Lock last freakin Christmas. And Cutler began working on his mechanics through pre season and those 1st games of that rookie season, just like Lock will, and by mid year he was playing. I would rather Lock sit for the year like Mahommes, but I guess we'll see if Flacco can stay healthy. I see Lock's trajectory basically the same as Cutler as we've both said, only I don't see the mopey attitude with Lock. Just let it happen, guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dedhed View Post

There will be some people who will always only look at the negatives.

He was much better than last week. There were some negatives: He was late reading a few blitzes, made one really poor decision throwing late off his back foot on the near INT, and his footwork was still rough at times.

But the progress was obvious. He was much more decisive, getting the ball out on time much more often, Footwork was cleaner for the most part, made some throws that were legit high level NFL throws, he got through his progressions better, and I didn't see any balls that were outside the catchable radius of the intended target unless his arm was hit in the process of the throw.

It was much more encouraging than last week where I was concerned. This week had me saying, "Hmm..Ok, there may be something here. Still a long way to go, but there is NFL potential there.
                                I agree with this. Good take. I thought he was better this week too. Not a ton but better.

Comment

Working...
                                X