Game Day Thread: Preseason Week 1: Denver Broncos vs. Seattle Seahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

If there’s no WR threat defenses can easily take away the TE/RB routes.

Its part of why SF has struggled in that dept for 2 years now without finding WRs.

I was fed the reason why Flacco struggles is because he had no WR talent. It’s Sanders and Sutton(who still is raw). You know it’s thin if Williams is being considered for a roster spot.
    [not a troll post] This is a legit take. Just observing from the outside....the Denver WR corps doesn't scare anyone at all. Who is the field stretcher? A big part of the offense is predicated on establishing the run and setting up so downfield play action passes isn't it? .....It seems like Flacco still has the arm to pull that off but I don't see him wanting to pull the trigger on a guy that can't separate..even if the safety bites some. It's still way to early to tell...but just reading the threads around here....and seeing two preseason games now.....I'm thinking Fant might not be as big a contributor as some are hoping for.....with Fangio being the somewhat old school guy he seems to be....I have a hard time believing he's going to give all that much playing time to a TE who won't expend the effort to block, for a team that really needs to establish the run for the offense to go...if his only value is running seem routes...his value is going to be very limited. Lindsay is the only scary thing you've got.

Comment

Its part of why SF has struggled in that dept for 2 years now without finding WRs.

I was fed the reason why Flacco struggles is because he had no WR talent. It’s Sanders and Sutton(who still is raw). You know it’s thin if Williams is being considered for a roster spot. Hamilton really needs to improve.
      Williams is the 5th WR, not sure why that indicates ifs thin. He's clearly ahead of the rest of the rabble - Langley, Mcknight, Cracraft and pals.

Comment

Forget about the QB position.

WR position is a joke. Extremely thin. No real threats and a bunch of JAGs. Sanders is older and coming off Achilles. Sutton is still learning how to play the position. Nothing else. No separation. Route running looks basic and meh.

WR is one of the biggest concerns. We’re hoping mid level/low tier players become good.
        I disagree, I think the WR position is perhaps, the deepest position on offense with the addition of Winfree. So there Sanders, Sutton, Patrick, Winfree and some good depth with guys like McKnight, Benson, maybe Hamilton? Add to this group the threat at TE of Fant and I think it's pretty good.

Comment

I was fed the reason why Flacco struggles is because he had no WR talent. It’s Sanders and Sutton(who still is raw). You know it’s thin if Williams is being considered for a roster spot. Hamilton really needs to improve.
          Maybe we can get AB if we can locate his helmet before the raiders do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

I disagree, I think the WR position is perhaps, the deepest position on offense with the addition of Winfree. So there Sanders, Sutton, Patrick, Winfree and some good depth with guys like McKnight, Benson, maybe Hamilton? Add to this group the threat at TE of Fant and I think it's pretty good.
            Outside of sanders who is proven? Who is reliable?

Comment

I'm just surprised to see you jumping off the Sutton wagon so quickly. Last year you were talking him up as the next DT. Give them a chance is all I'm saying. We haven't gotten to see this offense yet with Sanders, a QB who can actually throw down the field, and a real OC. I like what I've seen so far from Sutton, Hamilton, and Patrick, et. al. The potential is definitely there. Way too soon to write their obituary IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post

[not a troll post] This is a legit take. Just observing from the outside....the Denver WR corps doesn't scare anyone at all. Who is the field stretcher? A big part of the offense is predicated on establishing the run and setting up so downfield play action passes isn't it? .....It seems like Flacco still has the arm to pull that off but I don't see him wanting to pull the trigger on a guy that can't separate..even if the safety bites some. It's still way to early to tell...but just reading the threads around here....and seeing two preseason games now.....I'm thinking Fant might not be as big a contributor as some are hoping for.....with Fangio being the somewhat old school guy he seems to be....I have a hard time believing he's going to give all that much playing time to a TE who won't expend the effort to block, for a team that really needs to establish the run for the offense to go...if his only value is running seem routes...his value is going to be very limited. Lindsay is the only scary thing you've got.
                wrong again

Comment

• Originally posted by kappys View Post

Williams is the 5th WR, not sure why that indicates ifs thin. He's clearly ahead of the rest of the rabble - Langley, Mcknight, Cracraft and pals.
                  I say that because outside of one 14 game season he’s never stayed on any teams roster for a full year.

legwold said it.

https://es.pn/2TenouV

Comment

Outside of sanders who is proven? Who is reliable?
                    I'm not worried about the WRs, I'm more worried about the QB getting the ball to the WRs

Comment

• Originally posted by ghwk View Post

Maybe we can get AB if we can locate his helmet before the raiders do.
                      Give him this one. ;-D

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronc62 View Post
                        I'll take it; really feared Jano might be out for the year. Likely out for the four September games.

Maybe IR here is the answer to the 4 RB question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mile High Salute View Post

I'm just surprised to see you jumping off the Sutton wagon so quickly. Last year you were talking him up as the next DT. Give them a chance is all I'm saying. We haven't gotten to see this offense yet with Sanders, a QB who can actually throw down the field, and a real OC. I like what I've seen so far from Sutton, Hamilton, and Patrick, et. al. The potential is definitely there. Way too soon to write their obituary IMO.
                          I’m not jumping off. I’m calling him for what he is. Super talent/physical who “still learning how to play”. He’s thrown into WR1 when he should be a 2nd 3rd. I hope to see big things, but I’m not expecting him to become some instant star. He still has a lot to learn.

Im echoing what Legwold has said cause IMO he’s right.

https://es.pn/2TenouV

Comment

• Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post

Not legit. Sounds trollish.......like Cindy.

Comment

• After re-watching Lock's snaps, his best throws were the ones to Fumagalli [which even surprised the TE, as if the ball had materialized in his hands], Trinity Benson down the left side and the 2PC Winfree that reminded me of Cutler's TD pass to Tony Scheffler against the Chargers in 2008.

However, I think there are plenty of things to be concerned about. His tendency to scramble for loss of yards instead of throwing the ball away: it was an issue in college [see the game vs South Carolina 2018] and he's not showing the awareness to stop doing it in the NFL.

His lack of feel for the play in the pocket was a big issue in college and there were two clear examples yesterday. The structure is crumbling because of the pass rush, and he can see it, but he does not speed up the process. Muhammad should have picked up the blitz, but Lock was looking right at the free rusher, he knew what was coming, and Aston was open for an easy dump pass on the left. Even Muhammad was open for a dump pass when the defender went right by him. Lock just kept making his normal reads as if nothing was happening right in front of him.

Same thing in the interception. The free rusher is right in front of Lock, but he continues to go through his throwing motion as if he were not going to get hit. That was a play to take the sack and live for the 4th down. Against Alabama in 2018, Lock kept fighting against a sack while holding the ball loosely, then he tried to switch the ball from his right hand to his left hand for no reason, and the play turned into a fumble recovered by Alabama.

Last week, the DB missed a pick-six after Lock misfired the pass. Yesterday, another pick-six was dropped in the 4th quarter when Lock made an awful throw with no pressure, he was just very late and threw right into the DB's hands. That was a bizarre play for a QB that played a lot of football in the SEC. Even his last throw in the game was a mess, it was a low ball at the WR's ankle and the DB almost made the interception.

There were 3 really good throws, the zone-read run was nice, but overall he was very erratic. He's not even stepping into his throws, his footwork is still dead despite all the coaching in the Senior Bowl, the work with Jordan Palmer and now OTAs/training camp. He misses the easy stuff because of his footwork and inconsistent accuracy. He needs lot of work, a lot of reps since he won't play this season, who knows how much he will learn on the bench since he won't have game reps to work on his mechanics and awareness, and it's imperative that the Broncos keep this system for the 2020 season and beyond.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cito Pelon View Post
                                Wow man, I didn't see six snaps in the dirt, did see Lock throw into the dirt twice to wide open guys. Didn't see much from the run game, yeah, a 10-yd run and a 50-yarder, but damn near every other rush attempt was stuffed at the LOS. Did see Flacco stare at a wide open Sutton on the right in the redzone, ignore him, then turn to the left and hit Freeman for one yard. Then after the rush attempts were stuffed, proceeded to toss an uncatchable pass to Sutton in the endzone.
                                Whatever, I realize the O system takes some getting used to especially with new coaches, three new QB's, an inexperienced center, new RT, new LG, rookie TE's. So far I think Scang & Co have things going as well as can be expected given the circumstances and only two games into preseason. Just have to wait and see how it pans out . . . . .
                                Here's a link to every throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPw0WZ_nkSU

Please tell the time stamps where Lock threw into the dirt to wide open receivers. I'll wait....

....Forever, btw, because they aren't there.
                                Last edited by Dedhed; 08-09-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X