OT: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Couldn't find a thread on this one. If it exists mods please merge.

Tarantino films tend to generate a love it or hate it reaction, with very little in between. This one will likely be no different. Personally, I loved the hell out of this film. Its a throw back to films of a bygone era. So, if you have no appreciation for that era, you probably won't appreciate this particular film. It has all of the classic Quentin tropes, but as the film is set within the film-making industry itself, they feel more grounded and organic than usual. Lots of fun film within a film references and Leo and Brad just freaking kill it in their respective roles.

This film isn't going to be for everyone, but for those of you that are tuned into the specific wave length of this film's vibe, I think you are going to have a hell of a good time.

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
    Couldn't find a thread on this one. If it exists mods please merge.

Tarantino films tend to generate a love it or hate it reaction, with very little in between. This one will likely be no different. Personally, I loved the hell out of this film. Its a throw back to films of a bygone era. So, if you have no appreciation for that era, you probably won't appreciate this particular film. It has all of the classic Quentin tropes, but as the film is set within the film-making industry itself, they feel more grounded and organic than usual. Lots of fun film within a film references and Leo and Brad just freaking kill it in their respective roles.

This film isn't going to be for everyone, but for those of you that are tuned into the specific wave length of this film's vibe, I think you are going to have a hell of a good time.
    I was hoping to see some hell in it. Are you sure you loved out literally all of it?

Comment

Originally posted by DomCasual View Post

I was hoping to see some hell in it. Are you sure you loved out literally all of it?

How graphic do you want me to get with my descriptions of my relationship with this movie? Lets just say the theater had to bring out the industrial cleaner after my viewing.

Comment

I'm curious to see how the Star Trek movie he is supposed to direct will go.

Comment

I dunno. How many lines of dialogue do the female characters have?

That alone determines a good movie for me.

That aside, some friends of mine went to go and see it and they love Tarantino. They said it was pretty good. One of them laughed his ass off.
          Last edited by Archer81; 07-29-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I always buy my gas at his shops.

QT

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
              I'm curious to see how the Star Trek movie he is supposed to direct will go.
              I seriously doubt his Star Trek film is ever made. The closest thing we will likely receive is a Trek film that was based on an early draft of his script.

Comment

I seriously doubt his Star Trek film is ever made. The closest thing we will likely receive is a Trek film that was based on an early draft of his script.
                Depends upon the budget and also who they get to star in it. Pine and Hemsworth walked away because the studio wanted them to take pay cuts after Star Trek Beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

Depends upon the budget and also who they get to star in it. Pine and Hemsworth walked away because the studio wanted them to take pay cuts after Star Trek Beyond.
                  I guess anything is possible. But Tarantino, Pitt, and DiCaprio reportedly got a deal giving them 30% of the gross off of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Given Paramount's struggles to secure funding for another Trek film following Beyond's under-performance, I find it unlikely that they would be willing to offer a similar sweat-heart deal to Tarantino for Trek 4.

Comment

I enjoyed it. Acting was incredible. Plot wasn't significant and it really did not matter. The ending was amazing. The ending really makes the movie. That can be said about a ton of films but this one, seriously makes the movie.

Comment

Laughed and smiled nonstop. Leo and Brad had a little Newman/Redford to them. Can't wait to see it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Bronco View Post
                        Laughed and smiled nonstop. Leo and Brad had a little Newman/Redford to them. Can't wait to see it again.
                        Its just amazing how charismatic Leo and Brad are in this. There is scene were they are just sitting around watching Television and BSing like old buds it is more watchable than 90% of films out there.

Comment

I guess anything is possible. But Tarantino, Pitt, and DiCaprio reportedly got a deal giving them 30% of the gross off of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Given Paramount's struggles to secure funding for another Trek film following Beyond's under-performance, I find it unlikely that they would be willing to offer a similar sweat-heart deal to Tarantino for Trek 4.
                          They want a surefire winner, it doesn't help them to go to cheap and not garner enough of a audience to benefit the franchise.

Comment

I want to see this movie, Love Tarantino movies

Comment

Tarantino is a guy who I don't love but can appreciate at times. He tends to go too far over the top in most of his films for my liking. But I went to see this one because of the setting place and time, and enjoyed it a lot.

What sets this one apart for me is the society that he depicts ( late 69 /early 70s) because I lived it . For those of you too young to remember it you probably thought that he made some of the ads and stuff up. But he didn't . Every one of the ads , the radio play ( although he set the sound track too loud) and the TV shows were snippets of the actual shows and real ads that were being delivered back then. The movie ( other than the ending which is what Tarantino does ) was more of trip down memory lane than you can imagine. The Pitt and DeCaprio characters were ( I think ) a shot at one of our current icons ( Eastwood?) in a strange way.
                              I liked the film.

Comment

Working...
                              X