No announcement yet.

Training camp 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to see the improvement. He's going to be a key cog.

Last edited by R8R H8R; 08-15-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by R8R H8R View Post
      Good to see the improvement. He's going to be a key clog.

Tight end should have an immediate first year impact especially in this offense and our TE situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Action View Post

Yeah, anyone with Locks arm strength and long ball shouldn’t be going past top 10.
        Playing in Dooley's scheme may have damaged his draft stock, but it also likely helped him transition a lot better to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by ~Crash~ View Post

I did not know that about Lock. I am glad we drafted him you can tell he is going to starting and kicking ass IMO next year.
          Lock is crazy talented. Him going back to school hurt his draft stock but man did it ever work out for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
            he is what he is... A bottom tier starter as opposed to a top tier back up like Keenum.​​​​​
            I don't believe you've got any kind of statistic beyond games started that would heavily support this statement. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's enough of a difference between the two classes of QB mentioned to justify an $18 million salary that could've been used on someone like Harris Jr.

It sounds nice and all– having a seasoned, experienced, more talented crappy quarterback– but at the end of it all you've still got a crappy quarterback.

I'm very hopeful to be wrong, and to somehow fall in love with Flacco this upcoming season, but... I don't buy it. The sooner we embrace the future the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shananahan View Post
              I don't believe you've got any kind of statistic beyond games started that would heavily support this statement.
              Where did Keenum start?
              I mean I guess you could argue that Seimian was a starter here and Keenum too.
              But upon entering the building they were never starters anywhere. Flacco entered with a SB ring that he got as a starter.
              He was drafted to be a starter, and he has made the playoffs several times not by stepping in on someone else's season either, but by doing it from the jump.

He might not be the best of the best, but Flacco is a starter with real playoff experience. Those other guys were either nobody or back ups that we elevated.

So I don't need statistics to show.

Lessons Keenum & Siemian had to learn on the fly, Joe should be way beyond. And that's the difference. Statistics say they are similar.
              Experience says they are not.

Keenum and Siemian both hit spots where it was overwhelming for them. Joe might be underwhelming to you, but he should never be shook like those guys were. Because he was a starter for years and already got past learning on the fly years ago.

Also... To be clear. I'm not saying Flacco is awesome. But in a game of death by inches, he gives a few more inches than we had from any QB since Manning.

One more pass on target and we would have beat KC last year. Flacco hit that same type of throw over Rahim Moore. (And it still pisses me off.)

I don't like that he was the best we could get. But I think he is better than Keenum. And I hope he does well.
              ​​​​​​
              Last edited by Old Coyote; 08-15-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post

Also... To be clear. I'm not saying Flacco is awesome. But in a game of death by inches, he gives a few more inches than we had from any QB since Manning.

One more pass on target and we would have beat KC last year. Flacco hit that same type of throw over Rahim Moore. (And it still pisses me off.)

I don't like that he was the best we could get. But I think he is better than Keenum. And I hope he does well.
                ​​​​​​
                With Flacco it all depends on adequate OL protection (threat of the run from under center will do the rest) along with two reliable intermediate targets. That's why Sutton, Fant, and Sanders are all important.

Lindsay/Hamilton underneath are fallbacks but Flacco is at his best when he's got the threat of run action to slow linebackers and hit those intermediate routes. Flacco is still one of the best intermediate throwers in the game behind only to guys like Brees/Brady. I think the OL will be fine along with the run game so it'll depend on Flacco with Sutton/Fant because I'm not counting on Sanders to have his pre-injury explosiveness. All you need is three/four good intermediate throws to massively improve the offense from the last few years.

If we keep seeing a lot of checkdowns, short throws, and constant screens without many shots downfield then you might as well play the rook.

Comment

• But really in the long term it doesn't matter what Flacco does this year. He's just a stop gap starter and short of having a career year he's not going to be starting for Denver next year. That's going to be on Lock when we can reload in 2020 with almost $70M under the cap and getting Flacco/Leary out. This is pretty much a transition year for Denver to get the new coaching staff set in and find out where Lock is at.

Comment

• Biggest hope that I have is if Flacco has been able to complete long throws to Sanders it also means that Bolles and James might be able to fend off Miller and Chubb long enough. The online protection is still a huge question mark for this team.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by fontaine View Post

With Flacco it all depends on adequate OL protection (threat of the run from under center will do the rest) along with two reliable intermediate targets. That's why Sutton, Fant, and Sanders are all important.

Lindsay/Hamilton underneath are fallbacks but Flacco is at his best when he's got the threat of run action to slow linebackers and hit those intermediate routes. Flacco is still one of the best intermediate throwers in the game behind only to guys like Brees/Brady. I think the OL will be fine along with the run game so it'll depend on Flacco with Sutton/Fant because I'm not counting on Sanders to have his pre-injury explosiveness. All you need is three/four good intermediate throws to massively improve the offense from the last few years.

If we keep seeing a lot of checkdowns, short throws, and constant screens without many shots downfield then you might as well play the rook.
                        There's 3 teams trying very hard to get Trent Willimas out of WASH. NE has been confirmed as one of them. And it's rumored that HOU is one of the others. Elway has made 2 recent trades with WASH. I wonder if Elway has been trying to get Trent and just move Bolles to G. They could then even move Risner to C. Williams-Bolles-Risner-Leary-James. I don't know about moving Risner at this point of camp, I'm sure he could do it, but I just wonder if Elway is satisfied with Bolles at LT with Flacco at QB. It's just rumors right now, but it is interesting.

Comment

• Interesting tidbit about Hollins from CHJ & Fangio.

“... Chris Harris Jr. noted that much of his work when he works inside at slot cornerback involves getting rookie Justin Hollins up to speed as he learns how to handle coverage responsibilities at outside and inside linebacker.

"I have to work with 52 [Hollins] the most," Harris said. "Every year at the nickel, I've always had to work with specific 'backers, specific dimes, whether it started off with [Wesley] Woodyard, then [Danny] Trevathan, then T.J. Ward, Will Parks. Now I've got to work with 52.

"It's totally different. He's a rookie, so it's a lot of communication we've got to do to get on the same page."

Nevertheless, Head Coach Vic Fangio believes that Hollins is coming along well despite the burden of learning two positions.

"It's a heavy load mentally for him, and at times he struggles with it, but I think he can do it," he said.”

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/b...-a-focal-point

Comment

• Originally posted by socalorado View Post

There's 3 teams trying very hard to get Trent Willimas out of WASH. NE has been confirmed as one of them. And it's rumored that HOU is one of the others. Elway has made 2 recent trades with WASH. I wonder if Elway has been trying to get Trent and just move Bolles to G. They could then even move Risner to C. Williams-Bolles-Risner-Leary-James. I don't know about moving Risner at this point of camp, I'm sure he could do it, but I just wonder if Elway is satisfied with Bolles at LT with Flacco at QB. It's just rumors right now, but it is interesting.
                            Yeah, but would the Broncos want to part ways with a 2nd round pick for a 31 year old LT who just had a brain tumor removed, who wants more than 24M per season. I don't think they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZONA View Post

Yeah, but would the Broncos want to part ways with a 2nd round pick for a 31 year old LT who just had a brain tumor removed, who wants more than 24M per season. I don't think they do.
                              I said it before, Trent Williams is younger than Gary Zimmerman was when he came to Denver.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2KBack View Post

I said it before, Trent Williams is younger than Gary Zimmerman was when he came to Denver.
                                Schefter is saying it would take a 1st and some change to get Williams. If I'm Elway then I at least make an offer like Leary and a 3rd since we have an extra pick from the Steelers trade. Then move Bolles to RG.

Maybe even throw in a safety not named Simmons, Jackson or Parks.

Comment

Working...
                                X