Training camp 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by v2micca View Post

Minor nicks and bruises at the beginning of training camp. The coaching staff is holding them out to ensure they don't become worse. I'd rather lose a few days at the beginning of training camp than a few weeks at the beginning of the season.
    I like my rational better...

Comment

• Interesting review of Lock. Sounds fair to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post

The way Lock misses the easier stuff, throwing at the receiver`s feet, or missing the target completely in a simple crossing route, is an issue that Mahomes did not have. There is no way the league would have let a QB similar to Mahomes fall to the 2nd round after the MVP season.

Even that video that shows Brandon McManus "intercepting" Lock and simulating a pick-six in TC shows how Lock has a scattershot accuracy, that ball was nowhere near the WR that was running a straight line.

Lock is a poor man's version of Cutler at this point.
        While I agree with much of your assessment, I think your criticism on the McManus "pick-six" is a little unwarranted. Its a timing play, Lock is throwing to a spot on the side-line. We don't get to see the WR's route in the video, but it definitely looks like he is pulling up at the end of the route.

I do think that the majority of Locks accuracy issues stem from him getting lazy with his mechanics. The easy throws he is missing to the flats or on crossing patterns are due to him not setting his feet properly and just trying to arm throw it. Its the same issue Stafford has were he possesses so much arm talent, he thinks he can get away with sloppy mechanics.

I also feel the appraisal of Lock as a poor man's version of Cutler is fair and likely on point. Beyond simply the physical similarities, Lock has an elements of Cutler's arrogance and entitlement. (Not a particular deal-breaker as nearly every first round pick from Aaron Rodgers to Josh Rosen has displayed similar traits)
        But, I don't particularly think the Cutler comparisons are that bad. Before he let his head and his ego get in the way, Cutler displayed off the chart levels of ability If Lock possesses 80% of Cutler's physical gifts without his mental baggage, we have our Franchise QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
          I told you all months ago that 60 year old defensive minded Vic Fangio would want NOTHING to do with a rookie QB. It isn't Fangios area of expertise, and he's got THIS one job at this age to make something happen as a head coach. LOCK isn't ever going to come close to the field when games count if Fangio has anything to do with it (and he does) I'll say it again...the coaching staff/regime to handle the next actual QB of the future for the Broncos is not the staff you have now.
          Love how kFc fans think just because they lose an AFC Championship game at home they know the way to build a SB winning team after they totally retooled their own D this offseason. Especially since the team that won the SB this year won it by playing great D vs a team that beat the chefs.

John won SB50 by building a dominant D, 2nd only to maybe the 2000 Ravens in this century, there is an argument they could be the best as the NFL is a totally different animal now. Sitting tight and drafting Chubb was brilliant, both of the last 2 drafts have been brilliant. I am hoping hiring Vic was brilliant. I love watching great D's, 2013 was special and we lost like 11 starters but winning SB50 by totally infuriating an opponent was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

Andy didn't want to throw a rook into the mix and there is no reason we should either. Let Lock sit for a year or 2, see how Flacco pans out and hope that we can beat teams with great D.

Comment

8 days in to his first professional TC and you can already sum up what kind of player he is?

Comment

Yeah...they're practically twins . your mental gymnastics routine gets a perfect 10 here.
              First of all I was talking about the athleticism comparison someone made and I was pointing out that athletically they are very similar. #2 is that nobody was talking about Mahomes during that draft. All the talk was about Watson and Trubiscut. If KC didn't draft him then he might have fell to the 2nd Rd. Maybe Denver took him at #20 and maybe the Browns at #25 or #29 but other than that he probably would have fell to the 2nd. Lock fell to the 2nd for lack of need. Had the Giants taken Haskins over Jones then Lock would have went #15 and ond only a couple teams needed a QB. Time will tell with Lock but I believe he has it and had he played on a better team instead of staying in Missouri and playing against SEC Defenses then his college numbers would be even better than they already are.

Comment

Lock has a good arm, not quite Mahomes` arm, and the big difference is that Mahomes did not come with Lock`s accuracy issues, he did not miss in the short/mid area like Lock does. I agree with Matt Waldman's scouting report on Lock:

After reading that article it made me realize that one queef fan read it and stole the info off it and said the same thing almost word for word. Most QBs fail. It's the way it is with the position. People jumping to conclusions is pretty stupid too.
                Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 07-26-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Archer81 View Post

8 days in to his first professional TC and you can already sum up what kind of player he is?
                  From physical comparison it is very good comparison.

Comment

Lock has a good arm, not quite Mahomes` arm, and the big difference is that Mahomes did not come with Lock`s accuracy issues, he did not miss in the short/mid area like Lock does. I agree with Matt Waldman's scouting report on Lock:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/07/18/matt-waldmans-rsp-sample-scouting-report-qb-drew-lock-broncos/

The way Lock misses the easier stuff, throwing at the receiver`s feet, or missing the target completely in a simple crossing route, is an issue that Mahomes did not have. There is no way the league would have let a QB similar to Mahomes fall to the 2nd round after the MVP season.

Even that video that shows Brandon McManus "intercepting" Lock and simulating a pick-six in TC shows how Lock has a scattershot accuracy, that ball was nowhere near the WR that was running a straight line.

Oh wow this looks like what I said about Lock...

in DECEMBER/JANUARY.

Comment

Yeah....you're right...Mayfield being drafted 1/1 was always going to ride the bench until Tyrod Taylor failed.....I don't know why I'd see Drew Lock being the 4th QB taken in a bad QB draft, in the 40's, being any different.
                      Holy ****, you’re dumb. Let me get out the crayons and spell it out. Mayfield being picked number one means that *even the number one overall pick* had a staff that planned for him to sit behind a highly paid veteran. The plan was scrapped when Taylor was ineffective and the Browns were losing games. In KC, Mahomes sat basically the whole season because Smith was effective and KC in contention. Had the Chiefs been losing games, Mahomes would have taken over sooner. Lock being a second round pick makes it *more likely* that a team would have such a plan in place (rook sits behind vet). He will sit as long as Flacco is effective and we are winning enough. If he’s ineffective and losing, Lock will take over at some some point. JUST LIKE BASICALLY EVERY TEAM THAT DRAFTS A QB AND SITS THEM. In other words, Fangio age is irrelevant and your prediction that you seem to find so revelatory is actually SOP.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

Holy ****, you’re dumb. Let me get out the crayons and spell it out. Mayfield being picked number one means that *even the number one overall pick* had a staff that planned for him to sit behind a highly paid veteran. The plan was scrapped when Taylor was ineffective and the Browns were losing games. In KC, Mahomes sat basically the whole season because Smith was effective and KC in contention. Had the Chiefs been losing games, Mahomes would have taken over sooner. Lock being a second round pick makes it *more likely* that a team would have such a plan in place (rook sits behind vet). He will sit as long as Flacco is effective and we are winning enough. If he’s ineffective and losing, Lock will take over at some some point. JUST LIKE BASICALLY EVERY TEAM THAT DRAFTS A QB AND SITS THEM. In other words, Fangio age is irrelevant and your prediction that you seem to find so revelatory is actually SOP.
                        You sir, are missing the point. The Browns did not draft Mayfield to sit. They sat him at first, but the whole point was that he would be their starter in short order. Mahomes was drafted to replace Smith, even though he sat for nearly a year, the front office, and coach were all in on him starting and moving on from Smith. Darnold, Allen, and even Rosen were all drafted with the idea they would start right away or very soon. They were not drafted as an afterthought or for value in round 2. They weren't drafted onto teams that traded for a vet, announced the vet was the man, announced they weren't going QB in round 1. In this way, Drew Lock is alot more like Christian Hackenberg....a number of traits that rate out as 1 round talent, but with enough questionable traits that he isn't worth taking in the first round. You take him because there is a relatively small chance you work out some issues and you have something......like a Kaepernick for example. The result more often though is 1...you never really plan for the guy to start, and if he does...2. he's alot more like Deshone Kizer than Andy Dalton.

I wouldn't be all that shocked if Lock in fact does not beat Hogan out this year for the no.2 job. ....and that will be due in part, to Fangio not wanting to turn his program over to a very raw rookie.

Comment

• Baker Mayfield like most #1 QB picks have the talent and ability to play immediately in the NFL. Hugh Jackson’s inability to recognize this is why he was fired mid season. Jackson’s refused to give Mayfield any first team reps during preseason and it created a divide between Jackson and Tod Haley that divided the coaching staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by v2micca View Post

While I agree with much of your assessment, I think your criticism on the McManus "pick-six" is a little unwarranted. Its a timing play, Lock is throwing to a spot on the side-line. We don't get to see the WR's route in the video, but it definitely looks like he is pulling up at the end of the route.

I do think that the majority of Locks accuracy issues stem from him getting lazy with his mechanics. The easy throws he is missing to the flats or on crossing patterns are due to him not setting his feet properly and just trying to arm throw it. Its the same issue Stafford has were he possesses so much arm talent, he thinks he can get away with sloppy mechanics.

I also feel the appraisal of Lock as a poor man's version of Cutler is fair and likely on point. Beyond simply the physical similarities, Lock has an elements of Cutler's arrogance and entitlement. (Not a particular deal-breaker as nearly every first round pick from Aaron Rodgers to Josh Rosen has displayed similar traits)
                            But, I don't particularly think the Cutler comparisons are that bad. Before he let his head and his ego get in the way, Cutler displayed off the chart levels of ability If Lock possesses 80% of Cutler's physical gifts without his mental baggage, we have our Franchise QB.
                            Fundamental’s are the biggest problem for 90% of NFL QBs and it is why the first thing Manning worked on every TC was his footwork drills. Since he left I haven’t seen video of a Broncos QB working on his footwork.

Comment

• The only QBs who should start right away are the consensus first over all picks.

Mayfield should have started day one. Both Manning, Elway took their lumps out of the gate and had marked improvement in their 2nd years.

Lock could turn turn into a guy like Farve or Rodgers who needs a year or 2 to get it we will have to wait and see.

I want want to see everyone play in PS or RS before I worry about their performance.

I am more worried about the WR position than anything else. After Sanders there isn’t anyone to really stretch the field. I look at Sutton as more of a physical route runner and jump baller than burner. Patrick came on last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                                Baker Mayfield like most #1 QB picks have the talent and ability to play immediately in the NFL. Hugh Jackson’s inability to recognize this is why he was fired mid season. Jackson’s refused to give Mayfield any first team reps during preseason and it created a divide between Jackson and Tod Haley that divided the coaching staff.
                                Mayfield is moot;
                                Hugh jackson should have been fired a long time ago.
                                the light of the TV cameras just made that fact painfully obvious.
                                for those few who refused to accept reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X