Training camp 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Allen C View Post

Lock and Mahomes are actually pretty similar athletically. Lock had a faster 40, a higher vertical, better long jump but Mahomes had a better shuttle and cone. They both have a rocket arm and ability to improvise when the play breaks down. Mahomes got lucky he landed with Andy Reid. He has a great offensive system but one that will never wIn a SB. Lock will be the starter before the end of the season and if Scangs can call plays anything like Shanahan then Lock landed in the perfect place as well.
    Yeah...they're practically twins . your mental gymnastics routine gets a perfect 10 here.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

You act as if this some unusual circumstance. Teams routinely have high paid vet QBs ahead of highly touted QB draft picks as the initial plan. The Browns took Mayfield #1 overall, but the plan was for the highly paid Tyrod Taylor to play and for Mayfield to sit. The plan changed because Taylor was ineffective and the team was losing. Had Taylor been effective and the Browns in contention, he would’ve continued to be the starter.

It will be no different here. If Flacco is ineffective and we are losing, Lock will take over at some point. If Flacco’s decent and we are in playoff contention, he’ll keep playing. Fangio’s age is irrelevant. Winning will be the standard as it is everywhere. You aren’t pointing out some unusual calculation.
      Yeah....you're right...Mayfield being drafted 1/1 was always going to ride the bench until Tyrod Taylor failed.....I don't know why I'd see Drew Lock being the 4th QB taken in a bad QB draft, in the 40's, being any different.

Comment

• Originally posted by CEH View Post

I agree either talk about only broncos in here and take all the other teams talk to their own thread so I can completely ignore it.
        If you read what I am typing...I AM talking only about the Broncos.

Comment

• I listened to NFL on Sirius yesterday 3 hours of Broncos training camp interviews with Ed McCaffery. They tried to sugarcoat it some but the it sounds like the offense is a complete crap show, especially the OL and Bolles inability to be coached and poor pass protection.

Comment

• There’s a pay wall but for anyone who currently subscribes to it.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                There’s a pay wall but for anyone who currently subscribes to it.

He had a bit of the dropsies early in camp, and is now correcting it, but my educated guess to his lack of “wow” plays this camp compared to last is that this year he is concentrating mostly on running the entire route tree. Last year he was a one trick pony by going deep down the sideline, while this year he is pushing to be a complete WR.

Comment

• Well, the media loves Fangio, that’s for sure. The dude’s a quote machine.

Good to see Scangerello has a clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                    There’s a pay wall but for anyone who currently subscribes to it.

The team switching offenses was going to take some time, but I hope this is an indication that our defense is coming together quickly. We all knew/know that our defense was going to need to come together and be a pretty solid (top 5?) unit for the 2019 Broncos to make any noise. Hopefully, that's what we're seeing here.

Flacco is a pro, and he should be able to get command of the short passing concepts of Scangarellos system, even if the line takes a while to come together. I'm pretty sure I've looked at passing charts for Flacco and his game is built in the middle of the field from LOS to 20 yards (Tight ends). He's really efficient there, and that allows him to chuck it deep (mostly down the right side where he's more comfortable).

Comment

• Originally posted by Action View Post

Long fingers > short fingers

think about it do you want your toes as your fingers lol
                      Ahh.. Action posts..

You're a nuisance to all that is the internet.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Right on, o-line's already getting beaten up...

This can only mean that we will have the greatest D in the history of all D's... you know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Strip Sacked View Post
                              Right on, o-line's already getting beaten up...

This can only mean that we will have the greatest D in the history of all D's... you know?
                              Minor nicks and bruises at the beginning of training camp. The coaching staff is holding them out to ensure they don't become worse. I'd rather lose a few days at the beginning of training camp than a few weeks at the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allen C View Post

Lock and Mahomes are actually pretty similar athletically. Lock had a faster 40, a higher vertical, better long jump but Mahomes had a better shuttle and cone. They both have a rocket arm and ability to improvise when the play breaks down.
                                Lock has a good arm, not quite Mahomes` arm, and the big difference is that Mahomes did not come with Lock`s accuracy issues, he did not miss in the short/mid area like Lock does. I agree with Matt Waldman's scouting report on Lock:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/07/18/matt-waldmans-rsp-sample-scouting-report-qb-drew-lock-broncos/

I’ve seen fleeting comparisons between Lock and Patrick Mahomes. The comparisons note similarities in arm talent and off-platform creativity. But making this comparison sells Mahomes short as a technician and a decisionmaker.

Lock’s accuracy with these plays only extends to the short zones. It’s pinpoint for the situation, but his technique and decision-making aren’t good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Mahomes.

Lock’s ball security is careless. He’s especially lax with his technique and he’ll attempt to flip the ball to unprepared receivers. Combine this issue with Lock’s tendency to move much slower than he should in the pocket and it leads to unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

Lock reminds me of Jay Cutler and Jeff George. He’s capable of the amazing but lacks the discipline within his approach to the game to do the important mundane tasks well.

Pat Mahomes never showed this lack of discipline and regularly showed an understanding of the importance of learning and applying the finer details of playing the position. Lock has a long way to go to earn this comparison.

The way Lock misses the easier stuff, throwing at the receiver`s feet, or missing the target completely in a simple crossing route, is an issue that Mahomes did not have. There is no way the league would have let a QB similar to Mahomes fall to the 2nd round after the MVP season.

Even that video that shows Brandon McManus "intercepting" Lock and simulating a pick-six in TC shows how Lock has a scattershot accuracy, that ball was nowhere near the WR that was running a straight line.

Lock is a poor man's version of Cutler at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X