Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MplsBronco View Post

Link?
    They played a friendly scrimmage against an elite boys team and the boys "won". Some people have decided this is proof that the women's team sucks and get can beat by boys. I don't think they really made a full effort to "win" the game. For one, they had nothing to gain by winning it. For another, that isn't the point of a scrimmage.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-...en-by-u15-boys

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...n-a-scrimmage/

Comment

Originally posted by Zerovoltz View Post
      2. International womens soccer is something of a numbers game. A TON of female youth play soccer and go on to earn college scholarships playing it. As athletes, they don't have another sport to really get into that would be lucrative beyond free college. Womens pro soccer certainly isn't lucrative. So you tend to get most of the best athletes as it is here, in a large country where there are enough parents and leisure time for it. Not so much in a lot of other places. I don't need to explain how this is different for men in most of the world.
      ch.
      Women's Golf and Tennis immediately come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post

They played a friendly scrimmage against an elite boys team and the boys "won". Some people have decided this is proof that the women's team sucks and get can beat by boys. I don't think they really made a full effort to "win" the game. For one, they had nothing to gain by winning it. For another, that isn't the point of a scrimmage.

https://www.90min.com/posts/4833646-...en-by-u15-boys

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...n-a-scrimmage/
        Not that it matters, but the core argument isn't really impacted.

The ****tiest MLS team in the country would utterly dominate the WNT.

As would most semi-functional college programs.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Not that it matters, but the core argument isn't really impacted.

The ****tiest MLS team in the country would utterly dominate the WNT.

As would most semi-functional college programs.
          Definitely. And, as you said, it doesn't matter. Which is why gloating about them "losing" to a boys team is dumb.

Comment

Definitely. And, as you said, it doesn't matter. Which is why gloating about them "losing" to a boys team is dumb.
            People (mainly men) bring this up constantly as a way to discredit what the women are doing. It's a textbook example of fragile masculinity, a term that's used waaay to often, but in this situation it fits.

Comment

Yeah, gloating about it is dumb.

I'm just saying arguing the nuances of whether they really lost that scrimmage or not doesn't settle anything, because they could lose in that kind of scenario.

I guess it was in my mind because Megan McArdle was on a recent Remnant podcast (shilling for that again) and they talked about this in the context of the whole WNT 'equal pay' debate. And the argument that the women deserve at least as much because 'the men suck.' Was a good listen.

Got into how any one person's or group's concept about equal pay can't really hold up to a free market where consumers are free to make decisions. And how relative performance can't really be a yard stick. Like with those wheelchair basketball leagues. Those guys play as hard as NBA players. Distributional justice should hold that they get paid as well. Doesn't work out that way (maybe unfortunately)

Ultimately everything comes down to what consumers choose to consume. And that's the difficult barrier women's sports are really up against.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Yeah, gloating about it is dumb.

I'm just saying arguing the nuances of whether they really lost that scrimmage or not doesn't settle anything, because they could lose in that kind of scenario.

I guess it was in my mind because Megan McArdle was on a recent Remnant podcast (shilling for that again) and they talked about this in the context of the whole WNT 'equal pay' debate. And the argument that the women deserve at least as much because 'the men suck.' Was a good listen.

Got into how any one person's or group's concept about equal pay can't really hold up to a free market where consumers are free to make decisions. And how relative performance can't really be a yard stick. Like with those wheelchair basketball leagues. Those guys play as hard as NBA players. Distributional justice should hold that they get paid as well. Doesn't work out that way (maybe unfortunately)

Ultimately everything comes down to what consumers choose to consume. And that's the difficult barrier women's sports are really up against.
                Agree. They don't deserve "equal pay" just because. There are many factors that most fail to consider. Should be largely based on revenues.

Comment

soccer blows

Comment

Working...
                  X