Josh Allen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Allen

Josh Allen (the QB) has been getting a lot of run this offseason as a guy to watch....big improvement coming etc etc. I wouldn't have drafted Josh Allen, and I was dissappointed that hte Broncos passed him becasue I thought he would suck....You all took of course took Chubb...passing both Allen and Rosen.

I haven't seen much of anyone here talking about it, but was it a mistake to pass on Allen?

He's fun to watch play....his accuracy sucks..but he can run and scramble. The roster around him wasn't all that good but he's never been accurate.

At this point....knowing now that Keenum sucked, and you have Flacco.....would you rather have taken Allen in 2018 or still gone with Chubb?

Or what about Dee Ford?

Would you have rather drafted DeMarcus Lawrence? Or even Devante Adams?

Comment

Our Chubb is gonna be scaring the poop out of you guys for years to come, Zero. Pretty much Lock & Rypien with Fant & Chubb are way better than Allen with no Chubb.

Comment

I'm the last person to call myself a master evaluator of QBs, but Allen was one of those prospects who really had me scared. Big enough arm to get scouts excited and generate some buzz but high flame-out potential when you factor in important things like smarts and accuracy. Did not think he would go to us t #5 anyway (even if Chubb hadn't slipped) but was still nervous about it heading into the draft, and relieved it played out the way it did.

Its really a crapshoot though - if we had drafted Allen I would be firmly in the 'too early to judge' camp and trying to be positive and hope for the best, because you never know (kind of what I'm doing currently with Flacco ;-) )

However i am pleased about the fact that we got a QB with first-round credentials in the second round this year. I feel that Lock is a better prospect overall than Allen and we had to give up a lot less to get him. Only downside that puts us 1 year further back in developing our QBOTF so we have to hope and pray that Flacco has at least one good year left in him....

Comment

You have to remember, the Broncos were in a slightly different position going into the 2018 draft than we were going into the 2019 draft. Lynch and Kelly were both on the roster and there was still feeling among both the community and the fan-base that it was too early to cut bate on either one. Keenum felt like a play for time for either Lynch or Kelly to get a little more development. In retrospect, we all know how badly that turned out. But at the time, it did feel too soon to go all in on a first round pick for a QB again. Particularly one that looked to have many of the same issues as the Signal Callers already on our roster.

Even with the gift of hindsight, I'm still largely satisfied with the selection of Chubb over Allen. Both players largely lived up to my expectations of them for the 2018 season. Now I may have a completely different opinion next year if Chubb fails to take that next step we are all expecting of him, and Allen does. But, based on their game tape, history, and environmental factors, I would feel much more comfortable betting actual money on Chubb finding the next level.

As for Allen being fun to watch, in spite of his accuracy issues and tendency to scramble......we had one of those before. And it was indeed fun to watch for a time. But we realized pretty quickly that it just wouldn't play consistently, especially in the post-season.

Comment

we have to wait til Josh Allen throws 40 TDs then we complain about him and Ed REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Comment

Allen has great talent. He struck me like an Elway who just never really put it all together in college, partly that was because of the supporting cast like Elway had at Stanford during the 80's. The talent was obvious.

I will say, in terms of a gun, Lock reminds me closely to Allen. I don't think he has the athletic ability to impact a game like Allen does but in terms of arm strength, he's not that far off.

All that said and maybe I'm completely wrong but I like the position Denver is in with a veteran QB like Flacco, great talent, mid 30's, being told he's on the way down. I think he will push it hard to prove people wrong and get his career back. Mid 30's in today's game, he really could end up playing another good 5 years of football if the switch goes off.

Then you have the young talented rookie who could jump into action any of the next 3 years. I like what Elway has done with the position. We should be improved on offense this season, better across the board at QB, HB, WR, TE, and OL.

Comment

I'm wrong about many things in life, which is fine. However, I would never, ever, ever have drafted Allen in the first in either the past two drafts. I never saw it, and I actually saw him play live a couple of times.

Comment

Josh Allen can’t hit a bull in the ass with a banjo.

Great QB’s bring accuracy with them to the NFL it’s not an easy coaching fix.

Comment

Chubb is already a stud. Allen is only hyping to get there.
                    No way no how. Not ever!

Comment

1st-Team All-Pro Khalil Mack in 2018, his 5th season: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 6 FF.

Bradley Chubb as a rookie: 60 tackles, 12.0 sacks, 2 FF.

You tell me.

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                      You have to remember, the Broncos were in a slightly different position going into the 2018 draft than we were going into the 2019 draft. Lynch and Kelly were both on the roster and there was still feeling among both the community and the fan-base that it was too early to cut bate on either one.
                      Elway already suspected [or knew] he had nothing in Lynch, which led to the Broncos paying Keenum and then Lynch was released after training camp. Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant. It was reported that Elway had Darnold and Mayfield as his top QBs. If one of them were there at #5, I believe Elway would have drafted a QB. I remember a report on draft day about Elway trying to make one final push to move to #2 for Darnold.

Lynch and Allen are connected in the sense that, according to Mike Klis, Elway passed on Allen because he reminded the Broncos too much of Lynch. As for Rosen, the Broncos [and several teams] clearly did not like something about his mental makeup.

It would have been interesting to have Josh Allen in a Shanahan/Kubiak offense, but I think Elway did the right thing by taking the BPA that fell to #5 over a QB the Broncos did not really love. Actually, Elway chose Chubb over a trade with the Bills, so Allen and Rosen were not even their targets in that draft.

Comment

I'm glad that the Broncos didn't draft him and nothing he did last year has changed my mind on that one.

Comment

Mmm, of course it's tough because QB is the most important position on the field. But Chubb looks like he's going to be a very special player and he was truly a can't miss pick. With big misses on Ray and Lynch, and Bolles looking like he was just slightly above average, Elway needed a can't miss hit on his 1st round pick. I absolutely would have taken Chubb if doing all over again. 12 sacks as a rookie, and that was in Radio's lame ass defense.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                            1st-Team All-Pro Khalil Mack in 2018, his 5th season: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 6 FF.

Bradley Chubb as a rookie: 60 tackles, 12.0 sacks, 2 FF.

You tell me.

Elway already suspected [or knew] he had nothing in Lynch, which led to the Broncos paying Keenum and then Lynch was released after training camp. Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant. It was reported that Elway had Darnold and Mayfield as his top QBs. If one of them were there at #5, I believe Elway would have drafted a QB. I remember a report on draft day about Elway trying to make one final push to move to #2 for Darnold.

Lynch and Allen are connected in the sense that, according to Mike Klis, Elway passed on Allen because he reminded the Broncos too much of Lynch. As for Rosen, the Broncos [and several teams] clearly did not like something about his mental makeup.

It would have been interesting to have Josh Allen in a Shanahan/Kubiak offense, but I think Elway did the right thing by taking the BPA that fell to #5 over a QB the Broncos did not really love. Actually, Elway chose Chubb over a trade with the Bills, so Allen and Rosen were not even their targets in that draft.
                            The stupid Mr. Irrelevant argument again. Kelly had all the physical goods but he's a party animal. It was that simple, you can't depend on a party animal. Same thing happened with BVP back in the day. He turned it around but lost the valuable growing period and never amounted to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post

The stupid Mr. Irrelevant argument again. Kelly had all the physical goods but he's a party animal. It was that simple, you can't depend on a party animal. Same thing happened with BVP back in the day. He turned it around but lost the valuable growing period and never amounted to anything.
                              John Elway? Jim Kelly? Brett Farve? Party Animal doesnt matter. Allen showed some good stuff last year but he has a long way to go. Barring injury Chubb is going to play awhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X