Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington Redskins about to get their Trademark Back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Redskins about to get their Trademark Back.

So, the SCOTUS just ruled on Iancu v. Brunetti. For those of your unfamiliar with this case, clothing company named FUCT clothing filed for a trademark and were denied under the Lanham Act of 1946 which held that trademarks may be refused registration if the subject consists of "immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter" The SCOTUS ruled 6-3 that the Lanham act violated the First Amendment.

This is of course following the 2017 ruling of Matal v. Tam in which the SCOTUS unanimously confirmed the judgement of a Court of Appeals stating that the provisions of the Lanham act prohibiting the registration of trademarks that may disparage groups was in violation of the First Amendment.

With the most recent ruling the Lanham act has been completely repudiated and there remains no legal standing to deny Washington their trademark. I imagine it is only a matter of time until Washington's trademark is restored.
    Last edited by v2micca; 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM.

Fuct the foreskins.

Comment

What if they were called the Washington African Americans? That would be equivalent to the Washington Native Americans. Worse yet, what if they were called the Washington N******? That’s equivalent to the Washington Redskins. The main difference is the tiny population of the offended group due to the genocide of 95% of their race.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
        What if they were called the Washington African Americans? That would be equivalent to the Washington Native Americans. Worse yet, what if they were called the Washington N******? That’s equivalent to the Washington Redskins. The main difference is the tiny population of the offended group due to the genocide of 95% of their race.
        The Navajo's are not too offended. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.4fe6dddafbb3

Comment

okay then...
          New York Giant Jew Noses

the Cleveland Brown Eye

San Francisco 69 'ers

LA Ram it up Yours.

Tampa Bay -uck in Rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
            BINGO !

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
              okay then...
              New York Giant Jew Noses

the Cleveland Brown Eye

San Francisco 69 'ers

LA Ram it up Yours.

Tampa Bay -uck in Rear.
              Grasping for straws.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

The Navajo's are not too offended. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.4fe6dddafbb3
                Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	2469437

It's alright... they took it back!

Comment

I always love people who aren’t the said race getting so upset.

Native Americans who are in my family aren’t upset about Washingtons name. But they did get pissed when a white woman pretended to be Native American.

Comment

kiss my Cherokee-ster

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Native Americans who are in my family aren’t upset about Washingtons name. But they did get pissed when a white woman pretended to be Native American.
                      L O L

Comment

Originally posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
                        kiss my Cherokee-ster
                        You should make the 3 hour drive to Red Mesa High school on the reservation and tell them that their mascot and logo are racist and their feelings should be hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

I'd agree with this. Besides it's not like they are saying Redskins in a derogatory way. For ****s sake they 80k fans coming to show the pride for them every Sunday they play. People need to get of this way to PC **** already.

Comment

The real tragedy by redskin fans is when they culturally appropriate swine by wearing those pig noses.

Comment

I'm Native.

The name slightly bothers me. But I do have bigger problems. Like the environment, Land grabs, pipelines, nuclear waste, mineral and water appropriations. So yes it bothers me, but not enough to leave other concerns. That is a fight for future generations. After we have clean water as a right for all living things. After we have treaty mineral rights and fishing rights not under threat... Then I will worry about racist names.

In a perfect world, I could worry about such things. But this place is so racist and f'd up that racist names must go in the little concerns basket for now.

But if you want to know....
                              What bothers me most is not the name so much as the mascot. And all the people that dress in mockery outfits.

Quoydogs... They are not honoring my people by making mockery of us.

And Navajo don't wear feather bonnets so why would that bother them? It is aimed at the Sioux. Navajo are generally laughed at by the rest of the Natives as being yes men to the Whites. And the Crow are enemy of the Sioux, and were scouts for the colonials, so when they talk it is also as a dog of the USA.

You want to see real respect for native Culture in an NFL team, look at the Seattle Seahawks design. That actually came out of the real art of the people of the region. Washington & Kansas City rather than honoring real culture, honor a racist characaturization of American Indian people.

It would be like saying dressing up as the Jerry Lewis Asian character honors Chinese. Or that little Black Sambo honors Black people.
                              Last edited by Old Coyote; 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X