Quarterback play from 2014-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarterback play from 2014-2019

Over the last 5 years, 33 QBs have thrown at least 1000 passes. I decided to take a look at how they stacked up against each other to see if anything stood out. I made a few observations:

1) Only four QBs have started all 80 games in this span: Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Phillip Rivers, and Russell Wilson. Impressive considering Wilson and Stafford have taken the two most sacks in this time as well.

2) Drew Brees has averaged an astonishing 70.5% completion percentage. When's the last time Denver had a passer average that mark for even one full season?

3) Blake Bortles had a really bad stretch, tossing the most interceptions and pick-sixes. He also posted the worst completion percentage so it's no wonder he also had the most losses.

4) Matt Stafford is clutch, leading the group in both 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives. Top 10 in TDs as well as completion percentage. Combined with his durability as mentioned above, he's an underrated QB for sure.

5) Our two most recent starting QBs, Keenum and Flacco, have had an earily similar 5 years... Keenum landed 30th in TD% compared to Flacco's 31st. Keenum sits at 19th in interception % and Flacco at 18th. Passer rating puts Keenum at 28th and Flacco at 29th. YPA has Keenum ranked 29th and Flacco at 32nd.

Even things like 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives were similar between the two, despite the discrepancy in games played. Keenum actually has had more game-winning drives than Flacco 10 vs 7. Flacco takes the edge in 4th quarter comebacks 7 to 6, however. All in all, I knew Flacco has had an unimpressive last 5 years, but I wasn't expecting he and Keenum to be virtually identical in every way as passers.

Did we really improve at starting QB? Is it wise to expect something better than Keenum's 18 TDs and 15 INTs of last year from Flacco? How soon do we see Drew Lock if Flacco continues to play at a Keenum level as he continues to age?

Flacco has to prove he's worth the $ and an extension. Hopefully, he's motivated because his last 5 years have sucked...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	755
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2466122

Comment

Flacco has been bottom of the barrel garbage for a few years now. Expecting some huge improvement, or even marginal, is wishful thinking. It’ll be around the same IN MY OPINION, with more downfield overthrows.

Comment

Flacco is ok playing without any guaranteed money and the Broncos traded 3 picks to move up for Lock. The writing is on the wall.

There is a reason why the Ravens accepted to trade Flacco to another team in the AFC.

Comment

Side note: I wish there was a stat that evaluated (1) what was asked of the QB on that play (2) what was the variable range of options to take in the play and (3) what did the QB actually do. Then all these discussions would be so much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              Over the last 5 years, only four QBs have started all 80 games: Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Phillip Rivers, and Russell Wilson.
              The guy who amazes me is Russell Wilson ... he might be some kind of alien.
              • 3rd rounder has started every.single.game all 7 years ... (112 g + 13 playoff g)
              • 6 Pro Bowls in 7 years
              • Maintained 2nd best QBRtg ever since DAY 1: Two of his three best QBR years were his rookie and 2nd seasons.
              • But MOST amazing: Named to the Top 100 list - voted by players - 6 of 7 years.
              • . . .(Top 100 ranks in order 2013 thru 2018: #51, #20, #22, #17, #24, #11)
              • He visits childrens' hospitals two days a week

And he did it all at just 5'10" and with his marriage falling apart the first 4 years

Great stuff btw, I love this kind of numbers crunching.

Originally posted by Papa
              Drew Brees has averaged an astonishing 70.5% completion percentage. When's the last time Denver had a passer average that mark for even one full season?
              Luvs me some Brees ... but I think Peyton threw 68-69% his first three years here.

Also weird:
              Peyton's 1st, 2nd and 4th most passing yds seasons were in Denver
              Peyton's 1st, 3rd and 4th most TD pass seasons were in Denver

Blake Bortles had a really bad stretch, tossing the most interceptions and pick-sixes. He also posted the worst completion percentage so it's no wonder he also had the most losses.
              Damn ... they lost that AFCCG in NE by what, a field goal?

Imagine if they had, even a Brock Osweiler under center?

Matt Stafford is clutch, leading the group in both 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives. Top 10 in TDs as well as completion percentage. Combined with his durability as mentioned above, he's an underrated QB for sure.
              Interesting ... gotta think on that one. Everything I know tells me he's incredibly OVER-rated.

Comment

Luvs me some Brees ... but I think Peyton threw 68-69% his first three years here.

Also weird:
                Peyton's 1st, 2nd and 4th most passing yds seasons were in Denver
                Peyton's 1st, 3rd and 4th most TD pass seasons were in Denver
                Brees completions percentage for a 5 year period was better than Peyton's during a three year record breaking run. If that doesn't impress you, I pitty your children with the expectations they must have to live up to.

As for Peyton's 2012, 2013, 2014 seasons. Its almost as if the Broncos had managed to assemble the perfect offensive juggernaut to complement Peyton's specific skill-set as a QB.

Comment

Flacco sucks. But he's the vet that can run the huddle and lead the offense for the next year. If he's tasked with carrying the offense on his shoulders, the offense is in trouble. I'll be cheering for him, and hopefully he can make a few key 3rd down passes a game, and do enough to let the defense win games.

Comment

**** Flacco. He’s hot, steaming garbage. We should just start Lock instead, and hope he learns quickly. I’m so bloody sick of having backup quality QB’s as our starting QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
                      Flacco sucks. But he's the vet that can run the huddle and lead the offense for the next year.
                      I sure hope so .... seeing that many parallels with Keenum sounds like it might portend a dark dose of reality.

One possible rationalization ... there may be situational distinctions between the two that Papa's numbers didn't recognize.

After all, this is the home of the all-time situational QB master. I recall many many games where John was like, 4 for 13 in the first half, or maybe 12 for 29 in a game, yet he racked up a sick high number of career wins. In a stat I just now invented, Elway averaged 10.2 wins per season over 16 years, and his career QBrtg is 5 points lower than Flacco's. Different eras, I know, but still.

Comment

Unless Fucco is in the playoffs, he’s Casey keesum on most days. IMO, it was an unnecessary lateral move by elway other than to clean out kubiak’s trash completely.

Comment

Peyton Manning has the worst passer rating of any Broncos QB from 2015-2018, and it’s not really that close.

Keenum 81.2
                          Osweiler 81.1
                          Siemian 79.9
                          Lynch 76.7
                          Manning 67.9

http://pfref.com/tiny/OrOlJ

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                            Peyton Manning has the worst passer rating of any Broncos QB from 2015-2018, and it’s not really that close.

Keenum 81.2
                            Osweiler 81.1
                            Siemian 79.9
                            Lynch 76.7
                            Manning 67.9

http://pfref.com/tiny/OrOlJ
                            He was arguably the worst QB in the league in 2015, damn near led the league in picks despite missing several games. Thankfully we had a defense for the ages.

Comment

I'm not a Flacco fan at all, but I am optimistic that if we got better this offseason on the O-line, we will have a superior running game and the ability to throw it deep.
                              Once again, no real confidence in Flacco, but if the run game gets going I feel like this could be a 9-7 team fighting for a wildcard in the last two weeks of the season.

I do believe that we needed to develop Lock. Not just his footwork, but his understanding of what it takes to be a professional. I'm not a fan of Joe's game, but everyone that has worked with him has spoken of how he's the consummate pro. I like what we're doing here.

So, I think that Flacco starts off hot, then fades. Hopefully Lock is ready later in the season if he gets his chance, but with the 20M salary next year, the writing's already on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X