Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Deadwood Movie (Spoiler) Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT Deadwood Movie (Spoiler) Thread

    Really enjoyed the movie. Was sad to see Al diminished and not totally up to form like that. I was surprised at how attached it seemed, plot-wise to the finale.

    Good and bad there. Thought it might have more of a reboot feel. Definitely not. More of an encore.

  • #2
    It was pretty well done. Jarring to see how much everyone aged (except maybe Gerald McRaney who looked almost the same lol). Did you catch the Garret Dillahunt cameo?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TonyR View Post
      It was pretty well done. Jarring to see how much everyone aged (except maybe Gerald McRaney who looked almost the same lol). Did you catch the Garret Dillahunt cameo?
      I didn't catch that, no. Cool.

      I was surprised they kept the town largely the same. Bigger changes might've helped contextualize the character aging. I'd read speculation somewhere that since old Deadwood (from the series timeframe) largely burned to the ground over that decade, they'd be free to build whatever they wanted in a 'new' town.

      I guess I can see why they might've opted for familiarity instead for such a short story. But there was something odd about these ambitious characters sitting around a bustling frontier town for a decade and not really changing anything other than personal appearance.

      I think some of the aging was put on. Especially on Seth. Definitely made him look older than he does elsewhere. But I guess they're trying to maintain appearances across the cast. People definitely aged a lot faster in those days under those conditions. Sol especially looked like **** though. I guess he's a bit older than Olyphant, which didn't seem so obvious back then.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
        I think some of the aging was put on. Especially on Seth. Definitely made him look older than he does elsewhere. But I guess they're trying to maintain appearances across the cast. People definitely aged a lot faster in those days under those conditions. Sol especially looked like **** though. I guess he's a bit older than Olyphant, which didn't seem so obvious back then.
        Yeah, Olyphant looked weird. Look how bad he looks in this picture, for example. I didn't consider that they possibly made him look that way on purpose.

        I'm surprised they didn't make a mention of Cy Tolliver in the movie, unless they did and I missed it. And I guess Silas was the most notable character otherwise missing.

        Comment


        • #5
          Really need to watch again as I'm sure there's plenty I missed. Need to rethink the ending with Hearst. It really seems like the town thinks he's taken care of now. I'm not really sure what's proven though that a man of his position in that day wouldn't still probably be able to wriggle out of.

          I kind of figured that's what was going through Bullock's head as he watched the beating... that this was the only way Hearst could really be dealt with. But then he just locked him away. Not sure how, as a Senator, anyone thinks it's realistically going to stay that way.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TonyR View Post

            I'm surprised they didn't make a mention of Cy Tolliver in the movie, unless they did and I missed it. A
            They mentioned he left the Bella Union to Joanie Stubbs when he passed. It was a quick mention in a conversation with Jane.

            I thought the movie was rushed and not very well written. The dialog wasn't near as cleaver and they seemed to rush by all the characters as if to just show us everyone got old. IMO the movie left off almost the same as the series ended, no real conclusion to anything other than the two deaths. I found it all a little disappointing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post

              They mentioned he left the Bella Union to Joanie Stubbs when he passed. It was a quick mention in a conversation with Jane.

              I thought the movie was rushed and not very well written. The dialog wasn't near as cleaver and they seemed to rush by all the characters as if to just show us everyone got old. IMO the movie left off almost the same as the series ended, no real conclusion to anything other than the two deaths. I found it all a little disappointing.
              Hearst is obviously in a much worse position, so it's different. The hard part about the non-finale finale back then was that that murder was really effed up to be followed by just nothing. This at least gave you the flip side of that coin... what it was that was bought with that price.

              But it's certainly not a tidy ending. But that would also be a tough thing to leave a series like this on.

              Dialog wise, I've heard the same criticism from a few critics. For myself I just figured that there's a bit of an adjustment period you go through when you start watching this show where you sort of adjust to the dialect. I struggled with the show at first when I first watched the first couple episodes, partly for the same reason. I figured this time I was just readjusting again. By the end I don't think it was that noticeable. Especially considering that Al was reasonably playing with a lot less fire in his belly and guys like EB didn't have a ton of screen time.

              Comment

              Working...
              X