Louie Wright at the Broncos QB Club

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louie Wright at the Broncos QB Club

Click image for larger version  Name:	wrightauto.jpg Views:	174 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	2451953
    "Whatever a team does good, we'll take it away." - Joe Collier

Louie Wright shared that quote in front of a packed house at the Denver Broncos Quarterback Club meeting on Saturday. "Collier was an innovative defensive genius," Wright said of his former defensive coordinator. Patriots coach Bill Belichick was an assistant under Collier for two years. "I see Belichick using a lot of Joe Collier's strategies with the Patriots," said Louie.

This was one of many interesting stories and insights Wright shared with the long time Bronco fans of the QB Club. What were some of Wright's most memorable plays?

In the Broncos 30-7 win over the Oakland Raiders in the magical 1977 season Wright intercepted Ken Stabler to make the score 27-7, virtually clinching a victory over the hated Raiders. "I was out of position on that play," Wright said. "I play on the left side of the field. I misread Cliff Branch's route and ended up on the right side. Stabler didn't see me so I was able to pick off his pass."

Another highlight was Wright's return of a blocked field goal for an overtime TD vs the Chargers in 1985. "Dennis Smith said in the huddle he thought he could block the field goal so I was ready," Wright relates. "And that's what happened. Dennis Smith blocks the field goal and I pick it up expecting to run for a score. But the refs stop me and say 'Denver called timeout' negating the play. 'Who called timeout!!!' we asked in the huddle. Mike Harden quietly said, 'I did - coach Reeves asked me to' No problem for Dennis Smith as he blocked the kick a second time and I ran it in for a TD - this time it counted!"

Who was the toughest receiver you played against?

"John Jefferson of the Chargers. He was only with the Chargers a few seasons and then was traded to the Packers in a contract dispute. But when he was with the Chargers he was extremely tough to cover."

What wide receiver talked the most during a game?

"Charlie Joyner of the Chargers. It wasn't trash talk, though. He'd say 'how's the family Louie?' and other personal stuff. I thought 'shut up - let's just play!'"

In his 12 year Bronco career Wright played for John Ralston two years, Red Miller four years, and Dan Reeves six years. "Ralston was a good talent evaluator. Miller was totally different - Red was real intense and that carried over to the players. The first team meeting Red had with us he said 'we are going to kick the raiders' ass!! We are not going to take **** from anybody!!' That got us fired up and that's what football is all about. Reeves was more of a tactician in the Tom Landry mode - he wanted to out scheme the other team. All three were good coaches in different ways."

Wright told us how he actually quit football to concentrate on track only while in college at San Jose State. Then in the offseason there was a coaching change at San Jose State. One of the new coaches watched Louie workout for the track team and afterwards asked Louie, "You've played football in the past, want to give it another try?" Fortunately for the Broncos Louie said yes, and his later play for San Jose State made him the Broncos #1 draft choice in the 1975 draft.

Louie told these stories and more to our Broncos QB Club group. Afterwards he was very gracious in signing autographs and talking to fans one to one. It was another great meeting for the QB Club! For more info visit our club website here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	louiewright.PNG Views:	170 Size:	183.6 KB ID:	2451954
    Last edited by titan; 04-25-2019, 04:28 AM.

Thanks! He is my all time favorite Bronco! It's a shame more people dont realize how damn good he was! Very smooth in coverage!!! Smooth isn't a word that comes to mind when talking about defensive players... but it is the first adjective that comes to mind as a descriptor for Louie!!

Comment

Very underrated.

Comment

John Jefferson had one of best 3 years to start his career outside of Moss and it was close between him and Moss. His catches are spectacular in a league where you could molest the WRs. Remember the stickum Lester Hayes wore. That was the era he played in.

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
          John Jefferson had one of best 3 years to start his career outside of Moss and it was close between him and Moss. His catches are spectacular in a league where you could molest the WRs. Remember the stickum Lester Hayes wore. That was the era he played in.
          Lester the molester.

Comment

I know I come up with these little stories, but this was a true story too. Four years ago, in our golf group, someone had John Stallworth as a guest. I got to talk to him after the round in our bar. Good guy and very down to earth. I had to laugh at what the Steelers did to get Stallworth. That is another story. If some team did that today......talk about Cheatriots. Personally, I sort of love it when teams skirt the rules.

I shared with him that I was a Broncos fan. I told him I became a fan of the Broncos cause I was friends with Rubin Carter's nephew and I have been a fan since. I asked him what it was like going against the crush back then.....and I swear he said that Louis Wright was probably the most underrated corner in the NFL. He said his cover skills were as good or better than ANY of the Raiders. That is what he said, and that stood out to me.

It was a pretty revealing conversation. We had a chuckle or two about the Raiders utter contempt they had for Lynn Swann. Especially George Atkinson. He mentioned that stuff we read about was very real. They could not stand Swann and that made for interesting incidents.

Anyway, take it for it was worth, but that is what John Stallworth said about the crush and specifically Louis Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post
              I know I come up with these little stories, but this was a true story too. Four years ago, in our golf group, someone had John Stallworth as a guest. I got to talk to him after the round in our bar. Good guy and very down to earth. I had to laugh at what the Steelers did to get Stallworth. That is another story. If some team did that today......talk about Cheatriots. Personally, I sort of love it when teams skirt the rules.

I shared with him that I was a Broncos fan. I told him I became a fan of the Broncos cause I was friends with Rubin Carter's nephew and I have been a fan since. I asked him what it was like going against the crush back then.....and I swear he said that Louis Wright was probably the most underrated corner in the NFL. He said his cover skills were as good or better than ANY of the Raiders. That is what he said, and that stood out to me.

It was a pretty revealing conversation. We had a chuckle or two about the Raiders utter contempt they had for Lynn Swann. Especially George Atkinson. He mentioned that stuff we read about was very real. They could not stand Swann and that made for interesting incidents.

Anyway, take it for it was worth, but that is what John Stallworth said about the crush and specifically Louis Wright.
              Awesome story! Literally gave me goose bumps! Does Louie come across pretty humble? Just wondering because Meck is very public in his push for the hall...

Does Louie seem to hold any grudges about being so severely overlooked?

Comment

Originally posted by BoiseBluTurf View Post

Awesome story! Literally gave me goose bumps! Does Louie come across pretty humble? Just wondering because Meck is very public in his push for the hall...

Didn't really meet Louis Wright. Although in 1979, I went to Mile High with my friend. It was a game against the Pats, Broncos won 45-10. Rubin Carter actually scored a TD in the game. We got stand on the sidelines. Actually, we were close to the goal posts next to some photographers.

We both went into the locker room, but we were kicked out pretty fast. Well, we waited outside the locker room for a while. Got to meet a bunch of those guys, but not any sort of conversation.

A few years before that Lyle Alzado was at Rubin Carter's house and my friend had his birthday party at Carter's house. They were both shot putting us into the pool. Along with like 10 other 7 year olds.

From what I gathered, Wright was not a big talker out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BoiseBluTurf View Post

We have had a number of former Broncos speak to our Bronco QB Club group. Louie came across to me as one of the most humble ex-players I have ever met. I asked him what he thought of the salaries of today's players. He just laughed for about 20 seconds and then told how he signed a contract for $35,000/year as a number one draft choice back in his day. He wasn't bitter about it at all - he was just relating how the game has changed. Though we didn't ask him about the Hall of Fame I would guess he has an equally positive attitude about being excluded from the Hall of Fame so far.

Comment

If Louie Wright was a raider or Cowboy, or played for an east coast team, he is already in the HOF. Same with Gradishaw, Tombstone Jackson, and a couple others.

Comment

Working...
                    X