Clear All

• The first-ever picture of a black hole

Click image for larger version

Name:	041019_LG-EV-MT_EHT_feat.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2448546

This is what a black hole looks like.

A world-spanning network of telescopes called the Event Horizon Telescope zoomed in on the supermassive monster in the galaxy M87 to create this first-ever picture of a black hole.

“We’ve been studying black holes so long, sometimes it’s easy to forget that none of us have actually seen one,” France Córdova, director of the National Science Foundation, said in the Washington, D.C., news conference. Seeing one “is a Herculean task,” she said.

That's because black holes are notoriously hard to see. Their gravity is so extreme that nothing, not even light, can escape across the boundary at a black hole's edge, known as the event horizon. But some black holes, especially supermassive ones dwelling in galaxies’ centers, stand out by voraciously accreting bright disks of gas and other material. The EHT image reveals the shadow of M87’s black hole on its accretion disk. Appearing as a fuzzy, asymmetrical ring, it unveils for the first time a dark abyss of one of the universe’s most mysterious objects.

“It’s been such a buildup,” Doeleman said. “It was just astonishment and wonder… to know that you’ve uncovered a part of the universe that was off limits to us.”

The much-anticipated big reveal of the image “lives up to the hype, that’s for sure," says Yale University astrophysicist Priyamvada Natarajan, who is not on the EHT team. "It really brings home how fortunate we are as a species at this particular time, with the capacity of the human mind to comprehend the universe, to have built all the science and technology to make it happen."

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...izon-telescope

Wish it was clearer but thats still pretty astonishing.

Comment

It looks just like Aga's ass.

Comment

And no silver facepaint or plastic skulls involved at all this time. I like it.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	_79630637_alamydt7hcy.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	2448668
          Run Hobbits, run...

Comment

Originally posted by Strip Sacked View Post
            It looks just like Aga's ass.
            I have no idea why you're talking about my ass. Weirdo.

As to the image, it's pretty crazy that we can see anything within a galaxy 53+ million light years away.

Comment

Name:	D30qvTwXoAE8llU.jpg:large.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2448687

Comment

One physicist postulated that black holes were the lenses used to project everything we know into a holographic existence. His paper said basically: what if everything is a giant simulation happening in a higher dimension laboratory or game room.

Interesting part is his math all worked.
                This may change that.
                Or just add more confirmation to the math.
                Damned if it doesn't look like a projector lense to me though.

If this is a matrix....
                We can't even find a guy to be an average QB...
                We are screwed if we have to find Neo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Soul View Post
                  Wish it was clearer but thats still pretty astonishing.
                  The EHT are adding 3 more telescopes in the near future so I'm sure they'll look at this again and it will be interesting to see how much more clearer this image might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

I have no idea why you're talking about my ass. Weirdo.

As to the image, it's pretty crazy that we can see anything within a galaxy 53+ million light years away.
                    He is evil. I never wanted to imagine your butt hole. But... Now I did. Without trying. It's like a subliminal mental infection.
                    If you felt a spiritually disgusted breath. I apologise. My scrying eye shall never ever look there again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
                      We can't even find a guy to be an average QB...
                      That's the first thing I thought. We can already find a black hole in another galaxy, but a quality starting QB...

[here come the Drew Lock GIFs]

Comment

Nothing like a picture of a black hole to get a bunch of nerds turned on! 🤓

Comment

Name:	tumblr_ndv6q52iGY1qheh20o1_500.gif
Views:	353
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	2448771Looks like the movie "Interstellar" got a lot right.

Comment

Thought this was a thread about Antonio Brown.

Name:	2vol0u.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	2448781

Comment

Working...
                            X