This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigdawg26 View Post

Agreed. I hate to play the hindsight game but it just sucks so much that we didn’t take an OT in the middle of the draft.
    Hindsight? It was really obvious we needed to draft an OT. Relying on JJ to be there was always a laughable strategy. The draft overall was good, but the neglect of the OT position was terrible.

Comment

• We needed a lot of things at various positions. What about take the best available and not reaching for need?

I think part of it is we are rebuilding. Everything we took, we needed. We just need a little more next draft.

Comment

• Anyone know what jersey number Dotson was assigned?

Comment

• Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

Hindsight? It was really obvious we needed to draft an OT. Relying on JJ to be there was always a laughable strategy. The draft overall was good, but the neglect of the OT position was terrible.
          To me, I think they shouldn’t have drafted Agim or Albert O when you already have young guys with similar skill sets in Fant and Dremont Jones. I think they should have drafted an OT with one of those picks.

Comment

To me, I think they shouldn’t have drafted Agim or Albert O when you already have young guys with similar skill sets in Fant and Dremont Jones. I think they should have drafted an OT with one of those picks.
            And that could be considered reaching for need vs best player available. Just sayin’

Would you have been okay w a mid-round OT starting?

We missed on JJ. That’s the core issue. Why? OT is a much needed, but rare find. Hopefully we are good at OT this year. If not, we draft one and/or FA market. Elway is good at trades as well.

If we filled lots of needs starter and depth, then next year it’s easier to package multiple picks to move up and fill that spot, such as OT we are deficient at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonyels View Post

And that could be considered reaching for need vs best player available. Just sayin’

Would you have been okay w a mid-round OT starting?

We missed on JJ. That’s the core issue. Why? OT is a much needed, but rare find. Hopefully we are good at OT this year. If not, we draft one and/or FA market. Elway is good at trades as well.

If we filled lots of needs starter and depth, then next year it’s easier to package multiple picks to move up and fill that spot, such as OT we are deficient at.
              I’m not disagreeing with you that missing on JJ is the main issue. I’m just saying if we drafted an OT in the 3rd or 4th with the idea of grooming him under Munchak for a year but he had to play earlier because of JJ or Bolles than I wouldn’t be mad. I would understand he may not be all the way there yet but at least he’s learning from experience and should be even better next year.

Comment

I’m not disagreeing with you that missing on JJ is the main issue. I’m just saying if we drafted an OT in the 3rd or 4th with the idea of grooming him under Munchak for a year but he had to play earlier because of JJ or Bolles than I wouldn’t be mad. I would understand he may not be all the way there yet but at least he’s learning from experience and should be even better next year.
                I hear ya. I was rooting for some names in there too. McShay mocked us a OT next year. Hopefully we aren’t picking 12 though.

Remember Shanahan had to trade up to get Clady. OT is a tough commodity. Might be second hardest behind QB.

Comment

• What were some good OTs available at that point though? I love the albert O pick. Agim I do not know, peeps say he could be like robert ayers (in a few years be amazing) or he could be like robert ayers, lol.

I am just not sure there was an OT at that point that was that good. Maybe Prince otonawhanawhinebago in the 7th, but whatevs.

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                    What were some good OTs available at that point though? I love the albert O pick. Agim I do not know, peeps say he could be like robert ayers (in a few years be amazing) or he could be like robert ayers, lol.

I am just not sure there was an OT at that point that was that good. Maybe Prince otonawhanawhinebago in the 7th, but whatevs.
                    Yeah, I can’t remember. We didn’t take one. I do like our draft haul and I’m fine with the Dotson signing and rolling with Bolles. I think our line will be improved. JJ wasn’t playing 16 games anyway. ‘Opt out’ was who he was last year.

We have a great young team, just need to get on the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                      What were some good OTs available at that point though? I love the albert O pick. Agim I do not know, peeps say he could be like robert ayers (in a few years be amazing) or he could be like robert ayers, lol.

What? You’re not excited about Hunter Watts? 😂

Comment

• This was a great deal for us IMO

He got a one-year deal that has $400,000 guaranteed and another $100,000 bonus if he makes the Broncos’ 53-man roster for week 1. He can make up to $3 million if he hits incentive thresholds. For now, the Broncos’ plan is for Dotson to back up Elijah Wilkinson at right tackle and have Garett Bolles start a fourth season at left tackle.

http://twitter.com/BroncosOnScout/st...37340587986944

Comment

• We needed a Tackle in this past draft, but all the good ones went high. It's just the way it is. Who knows what the next draft will look like, could be very challenging to determine who's a good LT/RT candidate.

Comment

• The sweet spot for a quality OT IMO was at #46 when Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones were available and both had some late 1st buzz. I guess Munchak was not pounding the table for any of them and he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not a fan of drafting early for need because you don't know if the guy can even play in the NFL to fill that need. I did not perceive Hamler as a need because, despite his speed, he might be the 4th or 5th guy in the pecking order in an offense with Sutton, Jeudy, Fant and Gordon. If they followed the draft board and really liked that particular player regardless of the logjam of receivers, we will have to wait and see Hamler's impact versus a backup OT that could become a starter in the near future.

The Chiefs took Lucas Niang right after the Agim pick. However, Niang has opted out and you can imagine the criticism towards Elway if he had drafted an opt-out OT in the 3rd to go along with Ja'Wuan James. It would have been hell.

Perhaps the best move Elway could have made after leaving the draft without an OT was signing Kelvin Beachum, but I don't know if the Broncos tried to get him.

The bottom line, after what happened in the draft and free agency, is that Elway and Munchak seem to have a lot of faith in Wilkinson since he will enter the season as the RT or be the immediate swing tackle.

Originally posted by Tonyels View Post

Remember Shanahan had to trade up to get Clady. OT is a tough commodity.
                            The Broncos did not have to trade up for Clady, he was there at #12 after a bunch of defensive busts went in the top 10. They traded up for Jarvis Moss [puke] in the previous year [2007].
                            Last edited by -Rod-; 08-17-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              The sweet spot for a quality OT IMO was at #51 when Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones were available and both had some late 1st buzz. I guess Munchak was not pounding the table for any of them and he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not a fan of drafting early for need because you don't know if the guy can even play in the NFL to fill that need. I did not perceive Hamler as a need because, despite his speed, he might be the 4th or 5th guy in the pecking order in an offense with Sutton, Jeudy, Fant and Gordon. If they followed the draft board and really liked that particular player regardless of the logjam of receivers, we will have to wait and see Hamler's impact versus a backup OT that could become a starter in the near future.

The Chiefs took Lucas Niang right after the Agim pick. However, Niang has opted out and you can imagine the criticism towards Elway if he had drafted an opt-out OT in the 3rd to go along with Ja'Wuan James. It would have been hell.

Perhaps the best move Elway could have made after leaving the draft without an OT was signing Kelvin Beachum, but I don't know if the Broncos tried to get him.

The bottom line, after what happened in the draft and free agency, is that Elway and Munchak seem to have a lot of faith in Wilkinson since he will enter the season as the RT or be the immediate swing tackle.

The Broncos did not have to trade up for Clady, he was there at #12 after a bunch of defensive busts went in the top 10. They traded up for Jarvis Moss [puke] in the previous year [2007].
                              Ugh, trade up for Moss, yikes. Well, I hope we don’t end up at pick 12 next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                                The sweet spot for a quality OT IMO was at #51 when Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones were available and both had some late 1st buzz. I guess Munchak was not pounding the table for any of them and he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Must you remind us all of that foolishness...

Comment

Working...
                                X