Official Denver Broncos News and Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post

Fangio is playing the recently-signed Corey Nelson [cut by the Bucs] over A.J. Johnson, who spent the entire offseason with the team, so I'm assuming Fangio sees A.J. as nothing more than a special teams player at this point. Brandon Marshall, if healthy, is a better ILB than Nelson.
    Picking between 2 turds. Week 4. Awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post

Fangio is playing the recently-signed Corey Nelson [cut by the Bucs] over A.J. Johnson, who spent the entire offseason with the team, so I'm assuming Fangio sees A.J. as nothing more than a special teams player at this point. Brandon Marshall, if healthy, is a better ILB than Nelson.
      anyone is better than Nelson.

Comment

• Originally posted by elsid13 View Post

what happened to Chubb?
        Sophomore year I tell ya!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Right over your head. You said “we’re a good QB away”.

Thats never going to happen as long as Elway is here.

Denver drafts Mahomes. You think this team is going to adapt to him or force a system he can’t run on him? Elway actually told an OC what calls to play. Gase’s comment was priceless.

Even if they stumble into a good QB he will get ruined.

Have fun warching a 4 win season at best.

Whats it going to take? Literally running the team into the ground? 3 straight garbage seasons in a row. Revolving door on bad hires. Let’s just make it 6 before making a change then.
          Nah, we had Prescott ranked high right after Lynch. If the Cowboys had taken Lynch like they were planning to, we take Prescott and you would be singing Elway's praises. You want to criticize Elway for his QB moves fine, but at least be balanced about it. It's not like Elway is making the decision alone and the rest of the FO are just twiddling their thumbs. Replacing one guy isn't going to fix anything if the scouts/personnel guys were all in on guys like Lynch/Keenum etc.

Comment

• Great seeing your posts Fontaine.

As every nfl team we are a young Qb away. He Giants went from years and more
            years of garbage teams to who cares this kid has it and now we have Barkley and now we just have to field a team around him. It’s all gravy.

The giant fans went from 0 to 60 in one week all for a guy they laughed at when drafted. NFL fan fates can turn on a dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by fontaine View Post

Nah, we had Prescott ranked high right after Lynch. If the Cowboys had taken Lynch like they were planning to, we take Prescott and you would be singing Elway's praises. You want to criticize Elway for his QB moves fine, but at least be balanced about it. It's not like Elway is making the decision alone and the rest of the FO are just twiddling their thumbs. Replacing one guy isn't going to fix anything if the scouts/personnel guys were all in on guys like Lynch/Keenum etc.
              The mane well majority has already said Dak blows and crowned Mayfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post

Denver drafts Mahomes. You think this team is going to adapt to him or force a system he can’t run on him? Elway actually told an OC what calls to play. Gase’s comment was priceless.

Even if they stumble into a good QB he will get ruined.
                This is a very ill informed post.

Even in preseason Drew Lock was asked to specifically throw passes to his strengths as well as fit exactly what he did in college.

1. Those hole shot passes down the sidelines that he threw in college after looking off the middle. This same exact play was part of his offense for years. The only thing added was a dropback: 4:22 in the clip below -
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPw0WZ_nkSU

2. A few up the seam throws both right and left to Nick Williams/Fort using the velocity on his throws.

3. Deep vertical play action sets with an unblocked edge defender. This is important because we don't run this play with Flacco since he's not fast enough to get a vertical drop after play action. Lock does so we called those plays with an unblocked edge defender because Lock would have the speed to get separation from him and then dump it off in the flat for a big gain. 0:59 in the clip above.

4. Hell we even ran an RPO QB keeper with Lock on 4th and 1!

All of this in ONE preseason game against Seattle. Scangarello totally called plays to suit Lock and the additional responsibility on him was to execute more from under center to work on his dropback and footwork mechanics. Something every draft expert comments on about Lock.

You can choose to be cynical and depressed about our QB and FO situation. Fine, I get that. But the evidence based on how Lock played in the preseason and how the offense was changed to help him, and the success he had against tight man coverage throws with backup skill position players was more impressive than anything I've seen from a Denver rookie QB since Cutler.

I choose to be positive about it and give it time to develop.

Comment

Even in preseason Drew Lock was asked to specifically throw passes to his strengths as well as fit exactly what he did in college.

1. Those hole shot passes down the sidelines that he threw in college after looking off the middle. This same exact play was part of his offense for years. The only thing added was a dropback: 4:22 in the clip below -

2. A few up the seam throws both right and left to Nick Williams/Fort using the velocity on his throws.

3. Deep vertical play action sets with an unblocked edge defender. This is important because we don't run this play with Flacco since he's not fast enough to get a vertical drop after play action. Lock does so we called those plays with an unblocked edge defender because Lock would have the speed to get separation from him and then dump it off in the flat for a big gain. 0:59 in the clip above.

All of this in ONE preseason game against Seattle. Scangarello totally called plays to suit Lock and the additional responsibility on him was to execute more from under center to work on his dropback and footwork mechanics. Something every draft expert comments on about Lock.

You can choose to be cynical and depressed about our QB and FO situation. Fine, I get that. But the evidence based on how Lock played in the preseason and how the offense was changed to help him, and the success he had against tight man coverage throws with backup skill position players was more impressive than anything I've seen from a Denver rookie QB since Cutler.

Comment

I agree with this. Lock isn’t perfect, but I think there sooner we play him the better. I agree with the Cutler comparison, and I just wonder what Cutlers trajectory would have been if he was a little more passionate and had our current defense.

i hope Fangio has the balls to play Lock this season so we don’t have to wait until next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmhargrove View Post

I agree with this. Lock isn’t perfect, but I think there sooner we play him the better. I agree with the Cutler comparison, and I just wonder what Cutlers trajectory would have been if he was a little more passionate and had our current defense.

i hope Fangio has the balls to play Lock this season so we don’t have to wait until next year.
                      If we have 4 losses or more we MUST start Lock. If we do not, then I am fine with rolling with flacco.

Comment

Good ****. I don't have any doubts about us adapting the offense to suit Lock. I think we will ask him to be more of a pro style QB but also run things that play to his strengths.
                        From what we have seen so far the dude is a sponge, he loves getting to work and learning. He's willing to adapt. He wants to be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by underrated29 View Post

If we have 4 losses or more we MUST start Lock. If we do not, then I am fine with rolling with flacco.
                          Unfortunately, IMO Lock should not have been put on ir. It’s been 6 weeks since his injury & could’ve been ready I The next couple weeks,but now we got to wait til week #9 for chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by peacepipe View Post

Unfortunately, IMO Lock should not have been put on ir. It’s been 6 weeks since his injury & could’ve been ready I The next couple weeks,but now we got to wait til week #9 for chance.
                            Not sure it's all that smart to throw a kid out there on gameday who hasn't been able to throw in a month.

Comment

• Let me get this straight. It’s OK to say Lock did great against scrubs, but other players in preseason it’s not? I saw a raw QB not ready, and got injured because of it. That injury was easily avoidable, just throw it away in preseason. He got jitters on that play and punched his hand into the ground. Something a raw kid would do.

Dont confuse me with not wanting to see Lock. I HATE Flacco. Always have and a Jersey change isn’t going to change what I’ve seen from him over the years. We are literally seeing the same exact results. Zip all. im just saying I don’t think it’s smart to throw Lock out there with expectations to save a season. That’s how it would be portrayed in the media and fanbase. This IR is a great thing. When I was the only one saying he would hit IR it was met with laughter in August. Nothing new there. It was the right decision then and it is now. If later in the year he starts I’m all for it. We need to know who he is and season is toast anyways so week 10-11 is perfect for a change.

But Once a QB change is made Flacco is done. You can’t name Lock the starter then go back to Flacco when bumps happen. So now we got dead money next year when we could’ve just ended it clean. The rollover money is supposed to be the cushion for next year, not wasted on dead money.

Comment

• The issue with placing Lock on IR is that, even if he does not play - he would not have been named the starter in week 5 or 6 anyway - he would at least be practicing with the team. On IR, Lock can't even practice. Next month, if Lock is one of the players designated to return, he will have a 21-day practice period before being eligible to play.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-...ant-nfl-dates/

Mid-Oct.

At any time after six weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate two players for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List.

A player whom the club wishes to designate for return is permitted to return to practice for a period not to exceed 21 days. The club is required to notify the League office that the player has been “Designated For Return” on the first day the player begins to practice. The player cannot be returned to the Active/Inactive List until eight weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve.
                                If the Broncos decide to activate Tim Patrick and Theo Riddick, for example, then Lock won't even be able to practice as he spends the entire season on IR, basically wasting his rookie year except for watching film and learning the system's language [and then we hope Scangarello remains the OC for 2020].

Learning the playbook is important and difficult for a rookie, he went from calling "yellow rubber duck" at Missouri to calling "Y-short to strong-right clamp Ace; H 2-Y Bingo X comeback; cannon with roll-right B shallow on two" in a Kyle Shanahan playbook. However, Lock needs a ton of practice reps, especially for his footwork, not to mention the adjustment to the game speed.

Lock suffered a sprained thumb. Janovich suffered a strained pectoral and he might be ready to play this week or the next. It never made much sense to put Lock on IR.

Comment

Working...
                                X