Broncos sign JuWuan James

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyR View Post

Did you even bother to read the reasons why? Sounds like he has some good inside info. And by good I mean bad.
    I read the article, and agree with "underrated's" sarcasm. No writer will have a better "insider" than Mike Munchak & Elway have, and that would be Kris Kuper; and I would even bet that the SI writer has no idea that Kuper is now on the Broncos staff. As a Miami OL assistant last year, he saw him every day in practice, meetings, and of course, games. No doubt Kuper saw every play on the coaches game tape, and knows exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are; and it would be naive to disbelieve that Kuper was consulted by both Munchak & Elway. Also, it is not a secret in the league that Miami is probably just above the Cards as the league's most dysfunctional teams. Hell, James own OL coach last year was fired mid-season for getting caught on video doing coke lines in his office before a team meeting.

You can definitely say the Broncos way overpaid for a talented guy that is inconsistent, but when you consider the challenge of blocking for Tannehill over the years, and the fact that he now goes to a team with a HOF OL coach, it sure seems premature to call this guy the worst FA acquisition of 2019. Also, if Munchak can get James to play more consistently, and anywhere near his potential, 3 yrs from now his $13 mil will look like a bargain, and I am serious about that. But with that said, can we give it at least 1yr with Munchak before we declare him another Elway FA bust?
    Last edited by R8R H8R; 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Benoit is a good writer and he is respected by the NFL community because he watches a ton of film and puts the work in. I also know that Benoit is tight with Adam Gase and in the piece it mentions that James was somewhat protected through playcalling i wouldnt be surprised if this is straight from Gase and another FU from Gase to Elway mocking the amount of money the Broncos are paying for James. Lets be honest the money is crazy, we are paying HOF money to a solid tackle who hasnt had a sniff of a pro bowl.

I just hope Munchak can take James's game up a level or two because you dont pay 13m per for a solid starter. We could have re-signed Veldheer for solid for half the price. The hope with James is athletically he is a perfect fit for the blocking system we are going to run the same as Bolles now its up to Munchak to try and help get these guys to become really good consistent players and bookends for the next 5 or so years.

Comment

• Originally posted by champhalloffamer View Post
        I just hope Munchak can take James's game up a level or two because you dont pay 13m per for a solid starter. We could have re-signed Veldheer for solid for half the price. The hope with James is athletically he is a perfect fit for the blocking system we are going to run the same as Bolles now its up to Munchak to try and help get these guys to become really good consistent players and bookends for the next 5 or so years.
        Apparently Veldheer had a higher pass blocking grade than James last year lol.

Comment

• I thought Miami was trying to re-sign James?

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
            I thought Miami was trying to re-sign James?

They they did last year ... remember how they yanked the rug out from under the trade we had workout for CJ Anderson? Seemed like it was Gase resentment or something.

At least we've been keen on James for awhile, nothing would be worse than overpaying like this for an impulse purchase.

Comment

• Don't want to belabor the point, but didn't we miss on Amos by just a couple million dollars? Had we paid James a more reasonable salary, or even re-signed Veldheer, we could have had Amos too

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                Don't want to belabor the point, but didn't we miss on Amos by just a couple million dollars? Had we paid James a more reasonable salary, or even re-signed Veldheer, we could have had Amos too
                Thats not really why, Amos cap hit is only 5.9 mil this year. Denver could have fit in Amos if they really wanted him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post

Thats not really why, Amos cap hit is only 5.9 mil this year. Denver could have fit in Amos if they really wanted him.
                  I can't believe how Elway is killing it in FA. We managed to shore up the RT position for the next 5yrs, sign 2 premiere CB, resign several of our own FA and still have 8mil in cap space.

Comment

• Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post

I can't believe how Elway is killing it in FA. We managed to shore up the RT position for the next 5yrs, sign 2 premiere CB, resign several of our own FA and still have 8mil in cap space.
                    I wanted Amos but Fangio or Nagy/Pace didnt want him at a more than reasonable price, food for thought.

Elway's done good though.

Comment

Denver’s target price for Adrian Amos was around $8M per year, and he ended up getting around $10M per year. Was a “fair market deal”, just too much for what Denver was wanting to do.

Comment

Don't want to belabor the point, but didn't we miss on Amos by just a couple million dollars? Had we paid James a more reasonable salary, or even re-signed Veldheer, we could have had Amos too
                        Yeah, but then people would bitch that we overpaid Amos. I want Veldheer back for half of his 2018 salary, as a swing tackle, but probably not happening. He's still sitting there, and nobody's gave him an offer yet that he wants to avoid retirement. If we signed Veldheer as a starter, then all we are doing is kicking the can down the road again, and we have to go through all this again next year. BTW, suppose they signed Veldheer for only a little more than he earned last year; probably 1 yr at $7 mil. Thus his cap hit is $7 mil, and most, if not all of it is guaranteed. James was signed for the long-term and his cap hit is only $8 mil.

Comment

They could’ve still afforded Amos. My guess is they had a number in mind and stuck to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoInferno View Post

They could’ve still afforded Amos. My guess is they had a number in mind and stuck to it.
                            Allbright said they offered 8, and Amos got close to 10.

Comment

Allbright said they offered 8, and Amos got close to 10.
                              Yeah, that’s what I was referring to. They had a number, and passed when it went beyond that number.

Comment

Kareem Jackson will be starting at Safety, and he's better than Amos.

Comment

Working...
                                X