Duke Ihenacho's Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Ihenacho's Decline

I mentioned this in another thread earlier, but reading the article below just re-enforces my thoughts.

Hope he can get it turned around, and quickly!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...hiefs-week-13/

Ihenacho Lost in All Phases

Broncos strong safety Duke Ihenacho emerged from training camp as the starter and early in the season he did a fine job of making an impact in the running game while holding his own in coverage, though he certainly found himself lost at times. Sunday was one of those days as Ihenacho graded at -5.8 overall with negative grades in all phases of the game. He missed three tackles on the day, including two in the fourth quarter as he twice failed to take down running back Jamaal Charles on the Chiefs’ 17-play touchdown drive. He was also responsible for prolonging the drive at the 6:37 mark of the fourth as his face mask penalty on WR Dexter McCluster negated a third down stop and set up a 1st-and-goal situation from the 1-yard line that led to an easy Charles touchdown. Ihenacho also found himself in coverage on the Chiefs’ first touchdown of the day as he failed to keep up with WR Junior Hemingway on his 17-yard score. Sunday was easily Ihenacho’s worst game as a pro.

His coverage skills are horrendous. I think we all have seen this decline. Just not the same player as a few months ago

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
      I mentioned this in another thread earlier, but reading the article below just re-enforces my thoughts.

Hope he can get it turned around, and quickly!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...hiefs-week-13/

Ihenacho Lost in All Phases

Broncos strong safety Duke Ihenacho emerged from training camp as the starter and early in the season he did a fine job of making an impact in the running game while holding his own in coverage, though he certainly found himself lost at times. Sunday was one of those days as Ihenacho graded at -5.8 overall with negative grades in all phases of the game. He missed three tackles on the day, including two in the fourth quarter as he twice failed to take down running back Jamaal Charles on the Chiefs’ 17-play touchdown drive. He was also responsible for prolonging the drive at the 6:37 mark of the fourth as his face mask penalty on WR Dexter McCluster negated a third down stop and set up a 1st-and-goal situation from the 1-yard line that led to an easy Charles touchdown. Ihenacho also found himself in coverage on the Chiefs’ first touchdown of the day as he failed to keep up with WR Junior Hemingway on his 17-yard score. Sunday was easily Ihenacho’s worst game as a pro.
      Hard to fault him on the facemask. From my recollection, I don't think there's any way he could've held McCluster short of the marker without a fistful of facemask.

Comment

He never was far up the hill to decline much. He has been in a decline since the TC hype. Safety is number 1 priority in the offseason.

Comment

I think he had a Rahim Moore moment on the 3rd and 14 from KC's 4 yard line

Comment

Michael Huff anyone?

lol j/k

Comment

Originally posted by rolandftw View Post
              I think he had a Rahim Moore moment on the 3rd and 14 from KC's 4 yard line
              Unfortunately that was Kayvon Webster

Comment

Teams are figuring out how to exploit his weaknesses.

There's still hope for him as a starting SS in the NFL, but he needs to show more growth in the coming offseason. There's still a lot of talent there, but he needs work.

Getting serviceable play from our safeties is going to be critical to our postseason hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                  Hard to fault him on the facemask. From my recollection, I don't think there's any way he could've held McCluster short of the marker without a fistful of facemask.
                  He was slow to recognize the play to begin with. If he's in proper position he easily makes that play.

Comment

We're probably seeing the reason he went undrafted.

Comment

Duke looked much better when Rahim Moore was in the lineup...

But with all the man coverage we do he will get exploited. This is his first year playing at this level anyways so he's pretty much a rookie out there. Give him some time to grow and judge him as a rookie.

Comment

Hasn't been the same since his injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                          Hasn't been the same since his injury.
                          yeap. He had some serious flaws to start, and the injury has only made them harder to over come. Hopefully he gets healthy the last four weeks and can turn things around.

Comment

Makes you hope that Rahim can come back at some point in the playoffs.

Comment

First year starter. Stop expecting guys to come in and be rock solid without needing time to learn the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X