Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collinsworth draws broncos fans ire

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Collinsworth draws broncos fans ire

    http://www.denverpost.com/hochman/ci...edium=facebook

  • #2
    I saw this last night.....I have to admit I was going crazy during the KC game as there was a huge sense to me of bias. I didn't so much feel it, not to say it wasn't there, during the NE game as I know there was some but there is a definite hate on Collinsworth as he loves whoever we are against!

    Comment


    • #3
      That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

      So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

      That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

      I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



      PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
        That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

        So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

        That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

        I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



        PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
        The reporter probably didn't go back and waste time watching old games because it would be a total waste of time. THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT QUITE SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER. Who gives a **** whether the color commentator has it out for us, or is just not knowledgeable enough about the teams to make educated statements? Does it make any difference whatsoever to the final score?

        Oh, it hurts someone's feelings that their team doesn't get the dap they need to be satisfied? Gimme a break.

        Hochman is a very good reporter. He was probably handed this assignment from his editor (who needs to fill column inches) and he did some quick research and did a write up. If I know Hochman, he was probably working on a couple other stories at the time, one or two of which might actually matter.

        Comment


        • #5
          **** em all

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
            The reporter probably didn't go back and waste time watching old games because it would be a total waste of time. THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT QUITE SIMPLY DOES NOT MATTER. Who gives a **** whether the color commentator has it out for us, or is just not knowledgeable enough about the teams to make educated statements? Does it make any difference whatsoever to the final score?

            Oh, it hurts someone's feelings that their team doesn't get the dap they need to be satisfied? Gimme a break.

            Hochman is a very good reporter. He was probably handed this assignment from his editor (who needs to fill column inches) and he did some quick research and did a write up. If I know Hochman, he was probably working on a couple other stories at the time, one or two of which might actually matter.
            I agree that it's an absolutely silly thing to even write an article about, but since he did (or was 'forced' to) might as well be competent about it. You even admit so in your last paragraph "and he did some quick research and did a write up". That's exactly what I said. He phoned it in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
              I agree that it's an absolutely silly thing to even write an article about, but since he did (or was 'forced' to) might as well be competent about it. You even admit so in your last paragraph "and he did some quick research and did a write up". That's exactly what I said. He phoned it in.
              Because it was meaningless. You obviously missed the part where I said he probably had a few other stories -- stories that are actually important, interesting, meaningful -- that he was working on.

              This is a daily brief write up. Says so right at the top of the page. You don't waste time and resources on a brief dispatch like that.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've never noticed a bias from Collinsworth. I wonder if fans from other teams say the same thing.

                Around here there is often talk about how bad some of these announcers are, but I rarely see what folks are talking about. Maybe it's just me, but it's rare that an announcer makes or breaks a game for me. I think the only announcer I've ever disliked was Randy Cross. It wasn't because he was bias against the Broncos, he just said things that were flat out wrong, and then when the replay showed that he was wrong, he wouldn't say anything about it. But other than Cross, I've never really cared who the announcers were.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The only one I have ever really felt was biased against us is Simms. It pains that guy to have to say nice things about us and if it weren't for 18 I doubt he could.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                    That article is everything I hate about "journalism." The best thing I can say about it, is that it's completely lazy, phoned-in article. The only game quote from Collinsworth (aka - the entire premise of the 'article') comes not from the the author, but from a quote from MHR's Kyle Montgomery. All the rest is fluff.

                    So what does our intrepid reporter do? Go through the last 2 games and analyze them? Compare the last 2 games to the opener where no Bronco fans I know complained about Collinsworth? Even take the step of comparing the coverage to last year's SNF games? Provide commentary and quotes noting the time and game information?

                    That might take time and effort, something approaching a thing people might call 'work' or, you know, his fricking job. Can't do that! I'll just pull some twitter comments from random idiots and call it a day. Journalism!

                    I would be ashamed to have my name appear on that byline. I would be ashamed if I was an editor that let it through.



                    PS. And I'm a fan of Collinsworth as the best color guy in the game today, which is why my rant has little to do with the man himself.
                    Well, I've been a sports writer for seven years, so maybe I can give a little insight on this. It is very possible that the writer requested an interview with Collinsworth, but was denied or given the runaround. That happens a lot, and when deadlines are involved, a writer still has to make it happen. This is a time sensitive story. Seeing that the game just happened a few nights ago, this story can't wait several days. It's a story now, not next week.

                    The writer conveyed the message, and he had a credible source to back up the point, and he showed what people were saying to back up that point. What more, in a short time frame, is a guy supposed to do?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                      The only one I have ever really felt was biased against us is Simms. It pains that guy to have to say nice things about us and if it weren't for 18 I doubt he could.
                      I was watching the Chiefs/Chargers game, and I really liked how Simms was breaking down the plays. He was pointing out stuff that I didn't know, stuff that a person who played on that level would know, but the general public wouldn't have.

                      Another point, it seems like fans want the announcer to say nice things about their team. I don't think that's the announcers job. I've never gotten the sense that any of these announcers go out of their way to say bad things about the Broncos. I've never gotten the feeling that any of these announcers went out of their way to say good things about the Broncos.

                      I wouldn't be surprised if fans from other teams were saying the same exact thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I definitely identify with the tweet that said they hate people who complain about announcers and they found Collinsworth unbearable. It was like he was the Chiefs dad and he was trying to cheer them up. They never lead at any point in the game and Denver just pulled away until they were up 17 points. They were never in it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I thought Collinsworth was annoying too. But I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass. Chiefs fans think he was unnecessarily propping up the Broncos, PROBABLY because he talks about good and bad from both teams.

                          The worst I've ever seen/heard is Fouts when calling a Broncos/Chargers game. The guy can't help himself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Are people watching overpaid men play football, or listening to overpaid talking heads? Just turn the sound down, if it truly bothers you. The only time I need sound, is when the ref has to clear up a controversial play...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My question is not whether Collinsworth is biased, it's why would anyone care?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X