Two painful, hopeless losses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two painful, hopeless losses...

The loss this week stings. We had that team right where we wanted them, and then we let them out of the trap. They made the adjustments, and we had no answers for those adjustments until it was too late.

But we've had worse losses at inopportune times. There's no reason to lose hope right now.

In 1997, the Broncos were 11-2 heading into December, when the team travelled to Pittsburgh. After a hard fought first half, the score was 21-21. We felt pretty good about where we were in that game, despite the two second quarter touchdowns from Pittsburgh. There was a sense like Kordell was going to make a mistake, and we were going to escape with a win. That's not what happened. Instead, Kordell lit it up, and the Broncos couldn't get anything going. This young guy named Rod Smith kept dropping key passes, and our defense kept giving up big plays. Kordell lit us up, and when he wasn't doing that, Bettis was bowling over our guys.

This forum wasn't in existence back then, but there were other online Broncos outlets at that time, and they were just as agitated then as we are now. Moreso even. In fact, that game gave root to the "Fire Greg Robinson" movement.

There was a lot of hopelessness about our defense at that time. That game was a lot like this game - it was a playoff atmosphere. Pittsburgh was 9-4 going into that game, and we felt like we had to win that game to prove that this was the team we thought it was: a superbowl contender.

We lost that game, and then we faced the 12-2 San Francisco 49ers the following week. This was a huge challenge for us. It was supposed to be our bounceback week to prove that the week before was a fluke. Instead, the Broncos got eaten alive. They opened up big with 10 points, and then proceeded to look completely incompetent on both sides of the ball. Elway managed only 141 yards passing on 16 completions - he had 41 passes that game! Meanwhile Rice and Young were on it - Young was fast, efficient, and heady as he sliced up our defense and they marched to 34 points. It was one of the ugliest games I can remember in Broncos history.

This was our team that was supposed to win everything, and the wheels were falling off the wagon. Everyone was losing hope in our defense. In the end they ended up showing up in the playoffs and being a great credit to the franchise, but don't be mistaken - this group went into the playoffs a bunch of bums who nobody trusted. We had just lost BIG to two of the hottest teams in the league - in fact San Francsico might have been THE hottest team in the league at that time. They could have easily won it all that year - and who knows, might have if Green Bay didn't beat them in the NFC Championship game.

The point is, if there is one, don't get confused about what these games mean right now. The second season is not the regular season. It's the playoffs, and the stakes change, and so do the players. This game was heartbreaking, and we might drop another, who knows. But it doesn't mean anything until January at this point.

Take a deep breath, calm down, and remember that the Broncos have been in worse pinches than this one. Our defense now is a lot better than the defense we had in '97. These guys still have the potential to be very special.

Suuuuuuurrrre (Shanahan is a God, don't speak of such heresy)!

Comment

It's funny I was thinking about that Pitt game this morning

If I recall we lost to KC in arrowhead that year on an improbable stoyanovich 54 yard FG. Lets hope that doesn't happen again

Comment

As I was watching the second half I kept thinking are the double duties of HC and DC for Jack not allowing him the focus as closely on defense and not make the necessary adjustments.........I know you can talk about losing defenders left and right but I think him 100% of time into the defense is a better situation hopefully next time we face the Pats (yeah we will) Fox is back.

Comment

Originally posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
          As I was watching the second half I kept thinking are the double duties of HC and DC for Jack not allowing him the focus as closely on defense and not make the necessary adjustments.........I know you can talk about losing defenders left and right but I think him 100% of time into the defense is a better situation hopefully next time we face the Pats (yeah we will) Fox is back.
          fox/jdr are 0-4 vs the patriots. The Patriots are the last team the Broncos want to see again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
            fox/jdr are 0-4 vs the patriots. The Patriots are the last team the Broncos want to see again this year.
            Nah, that just means we are due

Comment

Originally posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
              Maybe, but its not like we're the first team Tom Brady has done this to.

Comment

All I can think of while reading all these posts today is thank God the Mane, let alone the interwebz as we know it, was not around in the late 80s. Manning is now the most despised person on the team by half the people that post here.

Comment

I agree the regular season is not exactly life or death. We need to win when it counts and that is when it counts. Maybe potentially it could light a fire under this team when we see them again. thankfully the story hasn't been written this year. however if we lose again the playoffs this year one and done do we consider a model change up?

Comment

I remember in 2005 we lost to the Chiefs and this place went bonkers, we lost to the Giants a few weeks earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                      All I can think of while reading all these posts today is thank God the Mane, let alone the interwebz as we know it, was not around in the late 80s. Manning is now the most despised person on the team by half the people that post here.
                      In all fairness he does deserve criticism. Just about everyone I can think of off hand deserves it besides the oline, KM, von miller, and Jacob tame. Peyton is the leader of this team. If he had half the clutchness of his brother we'd romp over everyone. Just reminds me of the nuggets over the last ten years. regular season world beaters choke in the playoffs. If you cant recognize it well I don't know what to say

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
                        In all fairness he does deserve criticism. Just about everyone I can think of off hand deserves it besides the oline, KM, von miller, and Jacob tame. Peyton is the leader of this team. If he had half the clutchness of his brother we'd romp over everyone. Just reminds me of the nuggets over the last ten years. regular season world beaters choke in the playoffs. If you cant recognize it well I don't know what to say
                        Of course he deserves criticism because he played a pretty bad game. But I'm not going to be one of the people like Luigi who already has bonfire started for the jersey burning. I guess I'm more in the minority that thinks if Fox was back, for all his flaws, we would have won the game if put in the same situation so I'm not freaking out quite yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                          It's funny I was thinking about that Pitt game this morning

If I recall we lost to KC in arrowhead that year on an improbable stoyanovich 54 yard FG. Lets hope that doesn't happen again
                          As far as wins/losses go......this season is going exactly like 1997 did....

We started 6-0.
                          Then lost 1 game (to Oakland...Napolean Kaufman had a big day)
                          Then we won 3 more to go to 9-1.
                          Then lost to KC ("Pete Stoyanovich for president!!") to drop to 9-2.

That's exactly where we sit now.

Only difference is now we are 9-2 with ZERO division losses.

Comment

Can't have Revenge Tour 2.0 without losing to those teams first....

Comment

Originally posted by 55CrushEm View Post
                              As far as wins/losses go......this season is going exactly like 1997 did....

We started 6-0.
                              Then lost 1 game (to Oakland...Napolean Kaufman had a big day)
                              Then we won 3 more to go to 9-1.
                              Then lost to KC ("Pete Stoyanovich for president!!") to drop to 9-2.

That's exactly where we sit now.

Only difference is now we are 9-2 with ZERO division losses.
                              I remember listening to that chiefs game on the radio. The radio guy made it sound like the ball got like 10 feet off the ground and somehow traveled 54 yards. Never actually saw the kick till this day, but i remember being shocked he somehow converted it.

Comment

Working...
                              X