Massive i-70 Pileup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
    That does not explain Texan drivers in the left lane in the middle of summer with no rain though. Still, that better than the Californian couple I saw a few summers ago trying to camp above St Elmo (elevation 9,961 feet) with an oversized truck and 5th wheel on switchback roads.

I don't think we are the sole offender of that one. Unfortunately it is acceptable to drive slower in the left lane, if it wasn't they wouldn't do it EVERYWHERE. Is it even a law? If it is they really need to start enforcing it.

I spend some time in Germany every year. It is so refreshing to watch drivers follow rules. Something simple like 2 lanes merging together seem to mystify people here. The zipper concept is just to far out there to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by spdirty View Post
      That’s in Missouri. Around Kansas City. 47 car pileup.
      Oh then good.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
        I was heading through Kansas City last Saturdsy before dawn, got super slick then too. Driving my new Prius from an auction house in NJ. Like an ice skating rink from rain freezing on the road.
        I have a civic hybrid, love it !
        40 miles to the gallon
        500 miles on 11 gallons of gas when travelling.
        my rabbit however was the best car I ever owned for snow conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
          I was heading through Kansas City last Saturdsy before dawn, got super slick then too. Driving my new Prius from an auction house in NJ. Like an ice skating rink from rain freezing on the road.
          “What is things beta cucks say, Alex”

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
            I wouldn't say they dont know how to drive but it has more to do with getting caught in lost visibility where you are screwed if someone wrecks in front of you. You know you shouldn't be driving but cant stop because that guarantees you will get hit from behind. You have to keep chugging on and hope it is clear in front of you. I've encountered those conditions a few times on I80 in Wyoming and whatever the freeway between Fresno and Bakersfield is in the fog.
            Visibility should determine speed. If it's icy with very low visibility you should be going quite slow. That doesn't protect you from some idiot slamming into your backside, but at least it protects you from slamming into someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
              Visibility should determine speed. If it's icy with very low visibility you should be going quite slow. That doesn't protect you from some idiot slamming into your backside, but at least it protects you from slamming into someone else.
              You can easily be cruising along and it visibility is fine and all of the sudden you are in some condition like fog or snow that drops the visibility. Now what the do you do? You don't have a choice but to keep chugging along. You are going to hit someone if they stop in front of you and the visibility is 1/2 or worse. You can't stop either or you will get hit.

Comment

Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
                Bull****. Multiple cars in that vid changed lanes when they saw the semi and were going way too fast in those conditions.
                Yes they were going too fast but at the bottom of a hill when impact is gonna happen you might as well not put the bumper of a semi in your windshield. There is a lot of people who commenting on here who have not been in those type of conditions where visibility puts you in that spot where you can't stop or you will get rear ended. You need to get off the road but can't unless you put it in the grass which isn't a bad option.

Comment

This is why no matter what vehicle you own, you put winter tyres on it and don't drive like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
                    I want a Prius.
                    It's like having 1975 gas prices.
                    That thought has me going, hmmmmm...

Then I look at tall guys like me sitting in those tiny things. And I rationalize that it's bigger than a smart car. And I rationalize further that I used to have a small Fiat and a tiny Datsun....

But reality is, I would look like I hatched every time I got out of that little egg car.

I still want to pay for gas like its 1975 though.

(And to the OP. Damn. Should have known to get studded snow tires and change out those radials. Also, don't drive on the interstate during a ground blizzard &/or black ice without studs. Semi trucks will wipe you out. Sad news for travelers passing by hillbilly land.)
                    It's more like prepaying for 15 years worth of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Coyote View Post
                      I want a Prius.
                      It's like having 1975 gas prices.
                      That thought has me going, hmmmmm...

Then I look at tall guys like me sitting in those tiny things. And I rationalize that it's bigger than a smart car. And I rationalize further that I used to have a small Fiat and a tiny Datsun....

But reality is, I would look like I hatched every time I got out of that little egg car.

I still want to pay for gas like its 1975 though.

(And to the OP. Damn. Should have known to get studded snow tires and change out those radials. Also, don't drive on the interstate during a ground blizzard &/or black ice without studs. Semi trucks will wipe you out. Sad news for travelers passing by hillbilly land.)
                      Prii are huge hatchbacks. This is my 2nd, it's an '06 with 200k miles for $2500. Gen II Prii could be the most reliable vehicles ever built. Great to camp in as couple. This will be my commuter replacing the '92 Tercel. Young Turk.

Comment

Fog can cause this.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
                          I don't think we are the sole offender of that one. Unfortunately it is acceptable to drive slower in the left lane, if it wasn't they wouldn't do it EVERYWHERE. Is it even a law? If it is they really need to start enforcing it.
                          I spend some time in Germany every year. It is so refreshing to watch drivers follow rules. Something simple like 2 lanes merging together seem to mystify people here. The zipper concept is just to far out there to grasp.

It is a law in Colorado, cops do enforce it. Also posted all over. Left lane is for passing.

The middle road stuff happens the most on highways through canyons when its just 2 lanes of traffic. The road between Canon City and Salida follows the Arkansas River pretty closely, its super narrow. Out of staters tend to try and straddle the middle of the highway while going 20 MPH too fast vs staying in their lane next to the river. Those people are usually Texans. Can also be Floridians or Californians. Its horrible in the summer when these people are driving campers or trucks with 5th wheels.

Canon City to Salida in Winter:

Comment

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
                            It is a law in Colorado, cops do enforce it. Also posted all over. Left lane is for passing.

The middle road stuff happens the most on highways through canyons when its just 2 lanes of traffic. The road between Canon City and Salida follows the Arkansas River pretty closely, its super narrow. Out of staters tend to try and straddle the middle of the highway while going 20 MPH too fast vs staying in their lane next to the river. Those people are usually Texans. Can also be Floridians or Californians. Its horrible in the summer when these people are driving campers or trucks with 5th wheels.

Canon City to Salida in Winter:

Love that road. Hate the out of staters.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                              You can easily be cruising along and it visibility is fine and all of the sudden you are in some condition like fog or snow that drops the visibility. Now what the do you do? You don't have a choice but to keep chugging along. You are going to hit someone if they stop in front of you and the visibility is 1/2 or worse. You can't stop either or you will get hit.
                              I have no idea what you’re talking about. I drove a semi for a living at one point in my life. Fog and snow are visible before you enter them. They don’t just appear out of nowhere. If the roads are so bad you can’t slow down before you hit them, then you shouldn’t be on the road in the first place, or you were already driving too fast. I honestly just get the feeling you don’t really know how to drive in low visibility on icy roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X