Broncos trade for Flacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by peacepipe View Post

Easiest way is to get rid of hard salary cap. Then all teams would be able to keep the players they draft.
    Or they could lower the salary cap significantly but it make it count only for rookie contracts and players signed as free agents. If you extend the contract of an original draft pick, it does not count against the cap. It would be a way to reward the teams that can draft and develop better than the others. If the owner has the money and wants to pay, the player stays with the franchise that drafted him.

Comment

• You take away the hard cap then only big market teams would get the player attraction. Which is why the NBA is a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post

Or they could lower the salary cap significantly but it make it count only for rookie contracts and players signed as free agents. If you extend the contract of an original draft pick, it does not count against the cap. It would be a way to reward the teams that can draft and develop better than the others. If the owner has the money and wants to pay, the player stays with the franchise that drafted him.
        I think that goes too far. I think a cap discount on those contracts would help stability without dismantling parity.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post

Jerry Jones would love to have no cap.
          Without a cap, the NFL would turn into the NBA. There would be 2 or 3 super teams and the rest. That is all, and yes the Cowboys would be one of them.

We would all be stuck sucking our thumbs listening to ignorance and reading BS from drunk Bronco fans about balance being old fashioned and no teams are successful being balanced. All while we watch the Broncos remain what they are now.

Anyway, the hard cap on the other hand basically penalizes THE FANS of a team. Meaning we all look forward to the draft and for a long time I have been turned off by the draft. The entire notion of "building a team" is lost on me. I say every year is it's own situation. Reason is you simply cannot keep players (all the players) that are drafted this year, 4 years from now if they all flourish. That annoys me about what exactly am I supposed to be hoping for in each draft.

Comment

• The point of the cap is to force talent to be spread around the league. The NFL is the only league where you can be bad 2 years ago and then morph into a SB winner.

Well, you could in the NBA but you have to get players to force their way onto your franchise.

You cannot have just mega market teams winning in the NFL. Parity is key. There are 2,016 roster spots in the NFL during the regular season(53 man rosters + practice squad), more than double that amount enter the league each new year.
            You usually have around 1,504 players that sign UDFA contracts and get signed to the 90 man rosters. 255 on average from the draft. That's 1,759 additional players fighting to be a part of that 2,016 on an NFL roster.

Having no salary cap would cause a massive roster imbalance because players would do what Eli, Elway(well, Denver wasn't a large market and he just didn't want to play for the Colts) and Bo did all of the time and go to large markets with massive pockets from owners.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
              The point of the cap is to force talent to be spread around the league. The NFL is the only league where you can be bad 2 years ago and then morph into a SB winner.

Well, you could in the NBA but you have to get players to force their way onto your franchise.

You cannot have just mega market teams winning in the NFL. Parity is key. There are 2,016 roster spots in the NFL during the regular season(53 man rosters + practice squad), more than double that amount enter the league each new year.
              You usually have around 1,504 players that sign UDFA contracts and get signed to the 90 man rosters. 255 on average from the draft. That's 1,759 additional players fighting to be a part of that 2,016 on an NFL roster.

Having no salary cap would cause a massive roster imbalance because players would do what Eli, Elway(well, Denver wasn't a large market and he just didn't want to play for the Colts) and Bo did all of the time and go to large markets with massive pockets from owners.
              There should be a system that motivates players to want to stay with the team that developed them. I agree no cap would turn the NFL into a type of NBA situation, however I do think there ought to be a softer cap. I just had the idea of having players salaries not counting against the cap if they played with a franchise for X amount of CONSECUTIVE years. That is just off the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoblood32 View Post

There should be a system that motivates players to want to stay with the team that developed them. I agree no cap would turn the NFL into a type of NBA situation, however I do think there ought to be a softer cap. I just had the idea of having players salaries not counting against the cap if they played with a franchise for X amount of CONSECUTIVE years. That is just off the top.
                an incentive after 10 years for player and team to remain together makes sense !
                Cap relief would be a nice bonding agent !

Comment

• How often does LOYALTY get in the way of better decisions for both parties ?

Comment

The players are motivated by guaranteed money because owners can cut them at any time and only incur the cost of the guaranteed money.

Comment

• We saw what no cap means in NFL. See 1970 until the cap in the 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                        We saw what no cap means in NFL. See 1970 until the cap in the 90s.
                        We also saw the impact of FA starting in 1993. Hard cap, FA and forcing owners to have to continually restock rosters is a good thing.

Comment

My friends and I played with an idea once of modifying the Franchise tag. Each team would receive two Franchise designations and one Cornerstone designation. Players had to have completed 4 seasons with the team to be eligible for Franchise designation and 5 seasons to be eligible for Cornerstone designation. We could never agree on the exact numbers, but the idea was that a player receiving a contract under the Franchise designation only had 70% of his money count against the cap, while a player on a Cornerstone contract only had 60% of his deal count against the cap. There would be other rules regarding minimum length and guaranteed money to qualify for designation. That way, each team would have a very real way to incentivize their three best players to re-sign with the team that drafted and developed them. And it would be fun to watch inept teams hang themselves with the rope provided by the franchise and cornerstone designations.

Comment

• Originally posted by v2micca View Post

My friends and I played with an idea once of modifying the Franchise tag. Each team would receive two Franchise designations and one Cornerstone designation. Players had to have completed 4 seasons with the team to be eligible for Franchise designation and 5 seasons to be eligible for Cornerstone designation. We could never agree on the exact numbers, but the idea was that a player receiving a contract under the Franchise designation only had 70% of his money count against the cap, while a player on a Cornerstone contract only had 60% of his deal count against the cap. There would be other rules regarding minimum length and guaranteed money to qualify for designation. That way, each team would have a very real way to incentivize their three best players to re-sign with the team that drafted and developed them. And it would be fun to watch inept teams hang themselves with the rope provided by the franchise and cornerstone designations.
                            Nice

Comment

• Originally posted by IndelibleScribe View Post

We also saw the impact of FA starting in 1993. Hard cap, FA and forcing owners to have to continually restock rosters is a good thing.
                              Yup Denver never wins a ring without FA.

Comment

Working...
                              X