WAYBACK MACHINE: Broncos First Game in NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAYBACK MACHINE: Broncos First Game in NFL

Set the WAYBACK MACHINE for September 20, 1070: Denver Broncos first official NFL Game. It was on the road at Buffalo .... BRONCOS WIN!

* Pete Duranko tackled O.J. Simpson in the backfield for a loss @ :30

* They didn't count Sacks then, but Bills were sacked 5 times in the game, raising the issue of Rich "Tombstone" Jackson as an old-timers nomination for HOF?

* FRONT FOUR: Rich Jackson, Dave Costa, Paul Smith, Pete Duranko. Maybe the best front four Broncos ever had.

* Mike Haffner can be seen on the field (is he still on a radio show in Denver?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Hynamz49YQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I remember attending the following week's (Sept. 27, 1970) game at Mile High, Broncos vs. Pittsburgh. Had good sideline seats in the east stands. Terry Bradshaw was a rookie QB starter for Steelers. Broncos won the game and as I recall Bradshaw didn't play that well, likely pressured by the Broncos great D-line.
    Last edited by Bronc62; 02-10-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
      Set the WAYBACK MACHINE for September 20, 1070.
      1070? Wow, I will have to presume they were really chucking the rock back then.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
        But the unis were nice:

Although they didn't give much protection against concussions.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
          No. The Broncos didn't have anyone who could chuck the rock in 1970. The QB situation was as sad as it has been the last 3 years. Charley Johnson was the first good QB the Broncos had. Not quite sure why Frank Tripucka qualifies for the Ring of Fame.

Comment

Fun to watch. Thanks .

Comment

One of the Bronco players scored a touchdown then turned and handed the football to an official. Wow. No celebration.....he just handed the ball over. How refreshing.

Comment

Thanks for the share, I enjoyed that!

Comment

1970 started with a LOT of promise. The defensive front four were among the best in the league, Dave Washington looked like a steal as a rookie linebacker. Billy Thompson in his 2d year was a big asset to the secondary. Floyd Little was close to the top of the rushing ranks.

We began the season with a 5-1 record before the wheels came off, losing the next four in a row and six of the next seven before gaining a 17-17 tie with the Chargers in mid-December.

The QB situation was a mess. Three years earlier, Denver had traded a pair of 1st round draft picks for Steve Tensi. But in 1968, playing behind a weak offensive line, his collar bone was broken (twice!) and he never really recovered. He played poorly in 1969 and Pete Liske replaced him halfway through the 1970 season.

Comment

Working...
                  X