I wish we would have taken Lamar Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish we would have taken Lamar Jackson

This team is perfect for a quarterback like Lamar Jackson. Obviously this is all hindsight and no one knew Philip Lindsay would be a real football player but a zone read running system kind of like what the eagles did with Nick Foles would be very potent with the receivers that we have and the young running backs.

Im hoping Chubb will be a huge factor but imagine if things went the way they were supposed to and we traded down with the bills. We probably would have had the same draft but could have taken Jackson and one more player in the first.

A triple threat running offense with the passing threats that we have would have been quite effective. It also would give the defense more rest and shorten games.

I guess some of you would argue we have a quarterback that can run that type of offense already in the roster but I just don't think you can bench a guy like keenum because then you are telling all your veterans that you are tanking.

To be honest, if they switch to a zone read with Kelly and Lindsay and Freeman in the backfield, with more motion and screen concepts, that would make things a lot more interesting. The linebackers would have to "pick their poison" and you'd have openings in the middle of the field and occasionally have some deep pass opportunities too. I think you have the players to make it work. I just think Jackson is a more dynamic player for this scheme and no one would question starting your first round qb pick.

Oh well big changes coming after this year anyway. No one ever said being a broncos fan was boring!

Originally posted by shalowlow View Post
    but a zone read running system kind of like what the eagles did with Nick Foles would be very potent with the receivers that we have and the young running backs.
    Two problems:

1) The Eagles used a lot of RPO concepts. RPO and zone reads are completely different things.

2) Modern NFL defenses will shut that **** down. You might briefly catch lightning in a bottle, but no championship caliber NFL offense is going to use those plays as a base offense.

Comment

terrible

Comment

Originally posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
        Two problems:

1) The Eagles used a lot of RPO concepts. RPO and zone reads are completely different things.

2) Modern NFL defenses will shut that **** down. You might briefly catch lightning in a bottle, but no championship caliber NFL offense is going to use those plays as a base offense.
        Right, that is true, rpo and so zone reads are different but they work in the same way of a read and react type offense which I think is where the NFL is heading these days.

I think a player like Jackson could have grown from a zone read system into a run pass option system as the year went on. Like I said we have the position players now, it's just the qb.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post

Yes that's more indicative of how I feel about watching my team these days.

But you're probably referring to my post huh? To each his own!

Comment

Right, that is true, rpo and so zone reads are different but they work in the same way of a read and react type offense which I think is where the NFL is heading these days.

I think a player like Jackson could have grown from a zone read system into a run pass option system as the year went on. Like I said we have the position players now, it's just the qb.

So...offensive schemes like a RPO or Zone read that rely on the QB reading and reacting to what the defense gives him is a read and react type of offense?

Good to know. NFL needs to get on that.

Comment

Lamar! doesn't have the frame to take an NFL pounding.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                  Lamar! doesn't have the frame to take an NFL pounding.
                  Gonna be a pretty damn good WR though.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
                    Two problems:

You mean like KFC runs and Chicago?
                    And I'm in no way wishing we drafted Jackson.
                    Modern NFL defenses aren't shuting **** down anymore. Just the way the NFL wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
                      So...offensive schemes like a RPO or Zone read that rely on the QB reading and reacting to what the defense gives him is a read and react type of offense?

Good to know. NFL needs to get on that.

A bit redundant, that's true. So you obviously don't agree?

Comment

A bit redundant, that's true. So you obviously don't agree?

No, because I dont think Jackson is ultimately going to pan out at QB. And every offense has RPO concepts, or zone read concepts. You cannot exactly make an entire offense from just four plays and get consistent production.

And Denver's issue is talent that can play RIGHT NOW. In no way would Jackson be ready to actually be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                          Gonna be a pretty damn good WR though.
                          rayciss

Comment

Originally posted by 505bronco View Post
                            You mean like KFC runs and Chicago?
                            And I'm in no way wishing we drafted Jackson.
                            Modern NFL defenses aren't shuting **** down anymore. Just the way the NFL wants it.
                            Both of those teams are enjoying some schematic advantage with new(ish) offenses having been installed, which is the exact point I was making.

Comment

I hope Jackson works out and has a great career, but I wouldn't have been happy if the Broncos drafted him...at 5!!!! That would have been a terrible decision. Late first round is even a reach. Project QBs in the first round? They already made that mistake once. If Jackson was sitting there in the second round, sure, why not?

Comment

Working...
                              X