Rules Shouldn't Benefit the Offending Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Shouldn't Benefit the Offending Team

Didn't think this deserved its own thread, but I wanted to make Beantown Bronco happy.

I really hate when rules end up benefitting the other team. Illegal snap should not be judged the same as false start. The player hiking the ball is the one who starts the play, it should be treated as a continuation play like holding.

I get false start because you have one guy moving and 10 looking at him like a jackass. The amount of times illegal snap is called is minuscule in comparison to false start so this doesn't come up very often.

Defense could have stopped them too, it was a third and long situation. So not making excuses.

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
    Didn't think this deserved its own thread, but I wanted to make Beantown Bronco happy.

I really hate when rules end up benefitting the other team. Illegal snap should not be judged the same as false start. The player hiking the ball is the one who starts the play, it should be treated as a continuation play like holding.

I get false start because you have one guy moving and 10 looking at him like a jackass. The amount of times illegal snap is called is minuscule in comparison to false start so this doesn't come up very often.

Defense could have stopped them too, it was a third and long situation. So not making excuses.
    I agree with you, but illegal snap happens so rarely, I doubt the competition committee gives a rats ass about it. Besides, it usually takes a team loss in a high profile game to get them motivated to even bring it up.

Comment

It doesn't seem right that there should ever be a situation in which committing a foul results in a direct benefit to the fouling team. In cases like that, it would be fairer to give the other team the option of replaying the down and assessing the 5-yard penalty -- or declining the penalty and taking the result of the play (in this case, a fumble).

That said, their drive deserved to continue if we couldn't stop them on 3rd and 12 or 13.

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post

Illegal snap is in the rule book to stop teams from snapping the ball in a late game situation without all their guys lined up. That is why you see QB's make sure everyone is lined up without snapping the ball. (And as we know an offensive penalty that can stop the clock in the last 40 seconds results in a 10 second runoff.) The play should be whistled dead immediately which is where the referees messed up. I saw this happen a few times where they even let play resume after a false start. I am sure it wasn't that loud in Qualcomm -_-

Comment

On a similar note, if an offensive player gets hurt trying to run the clock out, they shouldn't be charged a time out unless the clock restarts when the ball in placed. That's not why the rule is there

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Nalen View Post
            I saw this happen a few times where they even let play resume after a false start. I am sure it wasn't that loud in Qualcomm -_-
            The Chargers had the ball, with all the Broncos fans there it was probably deafening.

Comment

Working...
            X