Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...what's the rule about hitting a QB at/below the knees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...what's the rule about hitting a QB at/below the knees?

Defenders are clearly going for his ankles...

I can find two things:

No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.
    http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/protectionofpasser

Which is confusing, because when the "Brady Rule" went into effect, it prohibited players already on the ground from hitting the QB below the knees.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...new-brady-rule

Either way, looks fine to me.
    Last edited by enjolras; 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Honestly, not being flippant, I think it really only does apply to Brady. The "Brady Rule" is not just a name, it's literal. I saw the same kind of low shots on RG3 and no calls either.

Comment

Some players get rewarded by coaches for it lol

Comment

Eh, he was pushed down by Manny. I dont think that would really apply. Just really unfortunate. Hopefully hes ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
            Defenders are clearly going for his ankles...

Pretty sad when teams have to start trying to take players out...

Comment

Digest of Rules Main
              Protection of Passer
              By interpretation, a pass begins when the passer -- with possession of ball -- starts to bring his hand forward. If ball strikes ground after this action has begun, play is ruled an incomplete pass. If passer loses control of ball prior to his bringing his hand forward, play is ruled a fumble.
              When a passer is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his arm starts a forward pass. If a defensive player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.
              No defensive player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand (15 yards). The Referee must determine whether opponent had a reasonable chance to stop his momentum during an attempt to block the pass or tackle the passer while he still had the ball.
              No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.
              Officials are to blow the play dead as soon as the quarterback is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler, and his safety is in jeopardy.

this is the whole rule about the passer thing, but the highlighted is what I was wondering about.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                Eh, he was pushed down by Manny. I dont think that would really apply. Just really unfortunate. Hopefully hes ok.

94 is the one who hit Manning. I dont see him getting pushed by Ramirez.

Comment

What about the punt returner buffer zone?

That muffed punt looked like it could have been a penalty as well

Comment

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
                    94 is the one who hit Manning. I dont see him getting pushed by Ramirez.

Am i going crazy?

Comment

Am i going crazy?

No. Ramirez blocked him, but Liuget worked around and dove at Manning's knees. He's probably going to get fined.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
                        No. Ramirez blocked him, but Liuget worked around and dove at Manning's knees. He's probably going to get fined.

I dunno, he was ducking under his hands...that's tough.

Comment

According to Del Rio, Mannings fine. But im still holding my breath

Comment

Kind of looks like that...but I think his intent was to go low. Just watch the player the whole time...he lunges down at his knees/ankles. Manny's left arm is the only arm that could have pushed him, and I highly doubt he pushed him that hard.

Just watch the replay while looking only at the defender...it's pretty obvious he's lunging low.

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                              Kind of looks like that...but I think his intent was to go low. Just watch the player the whole time...he lunges down at his knees/ankles. Manny's left arm is the only arm that could have pushed him, and I highly doubt he pushed him that hard.

Just watch the replay while looking only at the defender...it's pretty obvious he's lunging low.
                              Perhaps, it doesnt matter. He did it, its not like a flag would heal Mannings knee.

Comment

Working...
                              X