X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Sundquist is doing an AMA over on Reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments...of_the_denver/

Highlights so far include his hardest personnel decision:

It wasn't my decision, but I think the way we handled Jake Plummer was not indicative of how we'd done business in the past. Really wasn't happy with that. Then I'd say letting Trevor Pryce go. He had begged to stay in Denver and was more than willing to take a pay cut. The defensive coaches had convinced Mike he couldn't play anymore. All he did was go to Baltimore and get 13 sacks.
    He's being really candid.

Originally posted by Killericon View Post

Shoot I was just about to post a thread on this referencing this answer. Seems really to contradict what was going around at the time stating Pryce didn't want to work with everybody I think.

I also liked his answer regarding the Plummer-Cutler thing. Going on how it was right to get a QB if one fell to groom, and that the media made it a huge mess, where finally Cutler became a starter he didn't earn and too soon.

Comment

Pryce was an investor in several business around Denver before he left, I'm sure he would have loved to stay here.

Comment

he confirms the idea that the Broncos are generally low on cash and that that influences the kinds of contracts they give out.

lot of stuff on his relationship with Shanahan toward the end. he also thinks Shanahan never got over the 05 AFCCG loss.

Comment

thank god we made that move to Cutler when we did so we could cycle through the frown cannon. Delaying the inevitable any longer would have just slowed down our road to Peyton.

Comment

Good read

Comment

Guess he decided that he won't be in NFL front office anymore. Lots of good tidbits there.

Comment

interesting:

The catalyst for me getting GM was two-fold. I'd interviewed for the Chicago Bears GM job in '01 and finished 2nd to Jerry Angelo. The next year Arthur Blank contacted Pat Bowlen for permission to interview me in Atlanta and Pat blocked it and subsequently promoted me to GM. Remember, Mike Shanahan had flirted with the University of Florida to leverage Pat into extending him beyond his last year. Pat wanted some stability on the football side if Mike had left. But then he hired me, which was contrary to Mike's contract which stated he would have final say on the GM, then put me under Mike (the EXEC VP of Football Ops). I was immediately in a tough situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Killericon View Post

Ugh, who was the DC when Pryce left? It was Coyer, if I remember correctly.

I can't be too critical of Larry Coyer, in retrospect - not after watching all 47 seasons of the Bob Slowik era.

What? It wasn't 47 seasons? I'll have to check my notes, but it sure seemed like 47 seasons.

Comment

At times it was tough with Mike in the War Room. I'll give him credit for this, he allowed a lot of opinions...but at times way too many and heavily slanted to coaches. One season he allowed a coach the day before the draft to take a player out of the fifth round and place him in the second on our board...after all the work had already been done! We took the player and he never made it.
                    Dale Carter, NO. I had no say in the Dale Carter move. At the time I was Director of College Scouting. Mike was a Free Agent type of coach, meaning he loved to add veterans and had little patience with developing younger guys.

Comment

Yeah the Pryce deal sucked he was a stud.

Comment

Question: Finally, may I ask why you left the Broncos? It seems like you had a pretty solid track record, any particular reason you decided to leave?

Answer: As for leaving Denver, the real story has never been told and the story that was released by Dove Valley was never accurate. I wouldn't have chose to leave, but we by and large stopped being who we were...we stopped doing business the Bronco way. I tried to convey that to both the Head Coach, VP President, and Owner....politics. BTW, no help from the media, they're generally afraid of Dove Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Boobs McGee View Post
                          Question: Finally, may I ask why you left the Broncos? It seems like you had a pretty solid track record, any particular reason you decided to leave?

Answer: As for leaving Denver, the real story has never been told and the story that was released by Dove Valley was never accurate. I wouldn't have chose to leave, but we by and large stopped being who we were...we stopped doing business the Bronco way. I tried to convey that to both the Head Coach, VP President, and Owner....politics. BTW, no help from the media, they're generally afraid of Dove Valley.
                          I believe that getting away from doing things the Bronco way led to a rash choice to hire mCd.

Glad Bowlen got his **** together and brought John back. Really cannot get over how quickly John was able to turn things around. Getting Manning was a big part of that but they even managed to have some success the Tebow year.

Comment

I like this guy.
                            Straight shooter and confirmed many suspicions I had about Shanahan's nature

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                              Wonder if that fifth to second was Toveissi or Pierce
                              My first assumption when I read that was Paul Toviessi.

Comment

Working...
                              X