The Forgotten Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forgotten Man

"Knowshon Moreno was a first-round pick who fumbled too often and got banished to the scout team in Denver. Instead of sulking, he grinded his way back into the starting lineup to become the unsung hero of Peyton Manning’s offense.

On the night before Sunday afternoon games, Denver Broncos coach John Fox gathers his players at the team hotel for a brief meeting. He says a few words and then calls on a player to address the group. Typically the ensuing remarks are perfunctory and predictable, with the player focusing on the need to be physical, smart and efficient. There are occasions, however, when the message is more personal and more profound.

On Oct. 26, just hours before the Broncos would roll to a 45-21 win over Washington, running back Knowshon Moreno was called to the front of the room. Moreno’s five seasons in Denver have been a testament to perseverance. He went from the thin air of being selected 12th overall in the 2009 draft to the humiliating low of not only watching the Broncos use second- and third-round picks on running backs the past two years, but also being a healthy inactive for eight straight games last season. The only work he got during those weeks was on the scout team running opponent’s plays.

But on this night he addressed teammates and coaches as a highly respected contributor on the league’s most explosive offense, having started every game and having scored in four straight outings. His message included the perfunctory comments about being physical, smart and efficient. But what resonated was his thanking teammates for standing behind him during difficult times..."

Continued at - http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/knowsh...areer-revival/

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
    But what resonated was his thanking Broncos management for being so terrible at drafting running back talent..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
      "Knowshon Moreno was a first-round pick who fumbled too often and got banished to the scout team in Denver. Instead of sulking, he grinded his way back into the starting lineup to become the unsung hero of Peyton Manning’s offense.

On the night before Sunday afternoon games, Denver Broncos coach John Fox gathers his players at the team hotel for a brief meeting. He says a few words and then calls on a player to address the group. Typically the ensuing remarks are perfunctory and predictable, with the player focusing on the need to be physical, smart and efficient. There are occasions, however, when the message is more personal and more profound.

On Oct. 26, just hours before the Broncos would roll to a 45-21 win over Washington, running back Knowshon Moreno was called to the front of the room. Moreno’s five seasons in Denver have been a testament to perseverance. He went from the thin air of being selected 12th overall in the 2009 draft to the humiliating low of not only watching the Broncos use second- and third-round picks on running backs the past two years, but also being a healthy inactive for eight straight games last season. The only work he got during those weeks was on the scout team running opponent’s plays.

But on this night he addressed teammates and coaches as a highly respected contributor on the league’s most explosive offense, having started every game and having scored in four straight outings. His message included the perfunctory comments about being physical, smart and efficient. But what resonated was his thanking teammates for standing behind him during difficult times..."

Continued at - http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/knowsh...areer-revival/

That was a good read. I don't think I have ever doubted Moreno... he has stumbled along the way, but has continued to work

Comment

Great article. Easily one of my favorite players right now.

Comment

Great read, rep!

Comment

Originally posted by phibacka31 View Post
            That was a good read. I don't think I have ever doubted Moreno... he has stumbled along the way, but has continued to work
            Most of us doubted him. I thought he was a good back to have since he could block and catch out of the backfield but his "softness" always bothered me. Add to the fact that we drafted him with the 1st pick and it angers fans and I am sure the front office.

Comment

Him and Marshawn Lynch run harder than anybody else in the league.

Comment

I'm just glad he learned to tie his ****ing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                  I'm just glad he learned to tie his ****ing shoes.
                  velcro wraps.

Comment

I was one of those impatient fans that wrote him off as a bust. Maybe an adequate rotational RB with very good receiving and pass protection skills, but certainly not worthy of that 12th pick. Now, barring injury, I think we have a player. Of course, it's a contract year, so I'm a little suspicious of the sudden emergence, but for the moment, he's providing that desperately needed running threat, and I'm grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Durango View Post
                      I was one of those impatient fans that wrote him off as a bust. Maybe an adequate rotational RB with very good receiving and pass protection skills, but certainly not worthy of that 12th pick. Now, barring injury, I think we have a player. Of course, it's a contract year, so I'm a little suspicious of the sudden emergence, but for the moment, he's providing that desperately needed running threat, and I'm grateful.
                      It's not sudden, he isn't playing on the field any differently. We just have a better offense and he has been healthy.

I can't speak on any attitude changes...but if you watch the highlights from his first 2 seasons he doesn't look any different. People tend to write those off due to the McD dark years.

Comment

Always been a big supporter of KM. Knew if he could stay healthy and get his head right, it would eventually click. Thrilled to see his success last season carry over to this season.

Comment

while I never wrote him off, I did believe he would never live up to the #12 pick while in Denver. and while I firmly believe Manning makes him better because of the constant threat to throw downfield (something all previous bronco qb's did not have), he has taken the opportunity and become a valuable RB for us.

props to his work ethic, his patience, and his willingness to put his ego aside to get better. now go win a ring, Senor Cross Fit.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Really enjoyed reading it. Always liked KM and supported him when there were damn few of us doing so.

Comment

After his first 3 years in the league I was not sure he would ever amount to much
                              Glad to see he is stepping up

I am going to be dissapointed if we can't re-sign him

Comment

Working...
                              X