ESPN Assessment of 2014 Draft Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Assessment of 2014 Draft Needs

Thought this was interesting given in terms of what is said about the Broncos;
    Denver Broncos

Biggest area of need: Offensive tackle

Though they will have to look at wide receiver -- with Eric Decker's contract set to expire after this season, and Demaryius Thomas and Wes Welker both up after the 2014 season -- the Broncos' most immediate need is at offensive tackle. Right tackle Orlando Franklin had toe and shoulder surgeries this past offseason, suffered a hip injury in training camp and injured his ankle earlier this month. Combine his banged-up season with left tackle Ryan Clady, who is on injured reserve after surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury in his foot, and you can see why the need is pressing. The Broncos were short-handed enough at the position to have moved guard Louis Vasquez to right tackle in the loss to the Colts. At minimum they need a right tackle, but Clady's injury is often difficult to rebound from, so they could use a player who could play both sides if needed.

-- Jeff Legwold

Top prospects:
    Jake Matthews, Texas A&M | Taylor Lewan, Michigan | Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

Scouts evaluations: Matthews Insider | Lewan Insider | Kouandjio Insider

Draft analysis: Peyton Manning does a lot pre-snap and has a quick release to neutralize the rush, but he's also vulnerable in the pocket because he's relatively stationary. The Broncos have to get another piece at tackle. They figure to be drafting late in Round 1, so they could get a less refined but very good talent in a player such as La'el Collins of LSU if he's in the draft. My guess is he'll be gone by the late first round, but Antonio Richardson of Tennessee could be a good pass protector early in his NFL career.

I don't know about you, but tackle doesn't seem like a big need as opposed to some other positions...

I'd prefer an upgrade at LG, though line depth and competition in general would be appreciated.

Stock the defense with a plathora of fresh talent, and look to add a raw but high upside WR later in the draft.

Comment

I'm always a fan of depth in the trenches, but I feel a 1st is too high to be drafting backups. Franklin will be back in a few weeks. Clark has looked absolutely fine(don't throw the Indy game as a shot on the guy. no one is looking good against Mathis this year) Clady will return next season. Somewhere in the 3rd at the soonest for a solid versatile guy to backup the Tackle position works for me

Comment

safety? I'm not all that excited about Nacho and Moore. They are ok but not so good that we can't upgrade.
        MLB, or are we happy with WW? What about moving WW back to weakside, or are we happy with Trevathan?
        DE, to play opposite Von? Has Elvis been completely replaced?
        RB always seems to be a need.

Comment

I think the article is right on the money. There is no guarantee at all that Clady can come back next year with that type of injury. I'm not sure you go and use your 1st pick on a LT since we do have Clark there but I think it would be wise to get a Tackle (who could play L or R) somewhere early (say 2nd or 3rd). I think we'll end up taking 2 OL'men in this coming draft due to all the injuries we've had there this year and some from last year even that have trickled into this year. We've lost 2 centers, 1 LT to IR. The other guys missing a game or 2 here and there is just life in the NFL so I'm not putting to much into that. I think we'll pick up a Tackle and a Center next year in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by mwill07 View Post
            safety? I'm not all that excited about Nacho and Moore. They are ok but not so good that we can't upgrade.
            MLB, or are we happy with WW? What about moving WW back to weakside, or are we happy with Trevathan?
            DE, to play opposite Von? Has Elvis been completely replaced?
            RB always seems to be a need.
            Not sure how you can give up on Nacho yet. He's only played half of 1 season. Not many Safeties come into the league and are all world players that fast. It takes a bit of time. Now speaking of Moore, he's had the time. He's not bad but not great either. I'd keep Woody in the middle. Trev has looked darn good so far. Actually so has Irving. I would still draft a MLB for depth though. You always want to try and add a pass rusher just to see if you can hit on something. I've said this the past few weeks but I think Jackson can play as well as Ayers has been at the DE spot so I think we'd be safe letting Ayers go and drafting another DE just to see if we can't find a diamond in the rough. I think we're good at RB. Between Moreno, Ball and Anderson, I like what I see in those 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
              I'm always a fan of depth in the trenches, but I feel a 1st is too high to be drafting backups. Franklin will be back in a few weeks. Clark has looked absolutely fine(don't throw the Indy game as a shot on the guy. no one is looking good against Mathis this year) Clady will return next season. Somewhere in the 3rd at the soonest for a solid versatile guy to backup the Tackle position works for me
              Did I miss where Franklin is out again? He was already back.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
                Franklin has been playing.

Comment

Originally posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
                  Did I miss where Franklin is out again? He was already back.
                  Damn bye week screwed me up. I forgot he returned because the practice thread brought up him being in sweatpants. I mistakenly thought he was still a couple weeks from returning.

Comment

I wouldn't have an issue with taking a OT but a G or C would make more sense. Could move the OT to G or slide Franklin inside(but he's been very good at RT)

Comment

I think it's easy to say we need help at the tackle position when we have been playing with back-up tackles. I think we can always us another pass rusher.

Comment

Not sure who would be the best player at 32nd overall

Comment

Sure we need depth at tackle. It is not even close to being our top need though. In my opinion safety, corner, and defensive end all rank well above it in terms of need.

Comment

Pass rushing DE, OL depth, maybe CB, maybe WR depending on FA.

Comment

put it this way - we've already seen what happens when we lose one tackle - the train keeps chugging. We lose 2 tackles, we struggle against teams with great DE's but are probably ok vs average teams.

We lose our MLB, and all of a sudden we are giving up 40 points a game.

we still need D.

Comment

Working...
                              X