Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Fox being out really make that big of a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Fox being out really make that big of a difference?

Fox literally can ignore 1/2 of the Broncos, aka the Offense. Del Rio is the Defensive guy, so he leans toward the D even as interim of this team. It's not like Fox was an O guru who was helping prop up a rookie QB or average vet...

I like Fox, although often I think he's too conservative, but do you really think well miss a beat with him out for a while...

I honestly think losing JDR to a bum ticker would be worse for the team....

Hopefully Fox being out will have the same effect that the colts hc situation had on the colt's team last year. That is, the team plays better via being inspired to play better for Fox.

I do think the players really like Fox, FWIW.

Comment

Fox may not be out, he was just spotted walking West on I-40 in a hospital gown pushing a wheeled IV drip stand.

Comment

I'm hopeful it won't hurt us too much.

Fox's style is to set up a good staff and let the co-ordinators do their jobs and not micromanage everything. Then create a positive atmosphere and mentality among the players and create a team that plays for each other. He's not a massive presence on game days, most of his work comes in the days and weeks beforehand. Someone like a Belicheck for example would be a vastly bigger loss, or the Saints with Payton last year.

That said, you never know. Fingers crossed that between JDR and Manning we have enough to see us through.

Comment

Outsider viewpoint: no.

If anything, I could see the defense slipping a smidge since JDR will be spread a little more thin, but I doubt there's a really noticeable drop.

Fox is more of a manager than a gameday coach, and he's already got the structure in place for the team even if he's not there.

Comment

I think it hurts the defense. Doubt the offense changes much.

Comment

There shouldn't be much of a difference. If there is, it'd just be used as an excuse.

Comment

What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.

Comment

Originally posted by fontaine View Post
                  What the hell am I reading here?

Fox routinely self scouts all of the team from the previous game and gives input to both the offense and defense, scouts the opposition and provides input to those units as well, hell, he sat down with McCoy/Gase and went through the entire offense when Tebow couldn't run it and made the decision to completely change it to more option oriented plays and that's just the stuff he's made public.

You think position coaches decided all by themselves to promote Webster over Carter? Give Malik Jackson more playing time and deactivate Hillman for Anderson? Make the changes at OL?

There's a reason why Fox teams (even without JDR) are usually very effective on defense, OL, and the running game because that's what Fox knows. Otherwise you're just saying he lucked into great coordinators for more than decade and let them run the show while he worked on his golf game.
                  No, its more that its halfway through the season and the routine is already set. Its the 2nd year in said routine for all these guys and there's pretty good vet leadership on the team. It SHOULDN'T make a huge difference. It's still Fox's show, i just assume it runs on its own now.

Comment

We will find out in four days.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
                      No, its more that its halfway through the season and the routine is already set. Its the 2nd year in said routine for all these guys and there's pretty good vet leadership on the team. It SHOULDN'T make a huge difference. It's still Fox's show, i just assume it runs on its own now.
                      So all the weekly input, self/scouting, personnel/live decisions on gameday happen by routine as well?

I'm not saying Fox is great coach or an average coach. I just don't believe all the work that he puts in somehow goes away with him not there.

Comment

More like 11 days this one was scouted and game planned before Foxy fell ill.

Comment

I'm starting to worry a bit, at first I thought no big deal JDR has the experience, but the more I think about it the more I think we under-estimate what Fox brings to this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
                            Hopefully Fox being out will have the same effect that the colts hc situation had on the colt's team last year. That is, the team plays better via being inspired to play better for Fox.

I do think the players really like Fox, FWIW.

That's the thing about Fox. while he is conservative, his players love him. He is the perfect example of a player's coach.

Comment

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/psmyth12">@psmyth12</a>: Broncos players signed a &quot;get well soon&quot; card for Coach Fox earlier today. <a href="http://t.co/jzAQ9aMyd2">pic.twitter.com/jzAQ9aMyd2</a></p>&mdash; Lindsay Jones (@bylindsayhjones) <a href="https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/statuses/398239743093137409">November 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
                              <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

Working...
                              X