Why so many linebackers? Because of the wedge removal rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so many linebackers? Because of the wedge removal rule

Some of you are freaking out about why we're carrying so many ILB's. First we're a 3-4 team, so our linebacking corps needs to be deep.

More than that, though, this is because of special teams. With teams no longer allowed to form a wedge on returns, linemen have less utility outside that capacity. A premium is put on players on the field with speed and blocking ability. Linebackers, tight ends and backs become the new brick mortar core of your ST unit, with corners and receivers being the gunners.

You only need 6 ILBs if you suck at the position.

How many other 3-4 teams are keeping 6 ILBs?

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
      You only need 6 ILBs if you suck at the position.

How many other 3-4 teams are keeping 6 ILBs?
      Probably all the ones who have ****ty backs and tight ends like we do.
      Last edited by Kaylore; 09-01-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I think one of those ILB's gets cut after we make it a waiver claim Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post

I’m excited about the TEs we got this year. Far better group than I’ve seen in years.

Comment

I am good with 6. 2 starters, 3 young cats with loads of potential and a solid ST's ace.

Comment

It's also indicative that one of Marshall or Davis, perhaps both, are gone next season.

Comment

The outlaw will be starting by midseason, he is in the top 30 best rookies this year in the NFL

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                  It's also indicative that one of Marshall or Davis, perhaps both, are gone next season.
                  <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Special teams play is a big reason the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Broncos </a> are keeping so many at ILB, but the deeper suggestion would be the likelihood that they move on from Brandon Marshall and/or Todd Davis next offseason. ~ $14M on the books between them for 2019. FWIW, I don't see them paying that.</p>&mdash; Christopher Hart (@topherhart) <a href="https://twitter.com/topherhart/status/1035960573723398145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 1, 2018</a></blockquote>
                  <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

^ ~ That's one handsome fella in the Tweet photo. I'd hit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      Henderson is a better player than most our ILB’s.

Comment

They both are.

Comment

AJ Johnson should be on the practice squad but Denver did not want to lose him.
                          He’s a red shirt on the 53

Comment

^ ~ That's one handsome fella in the Tweet photo. I'd hit it.

Comment

Khan, you so smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X