Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A wonderful problem to have (a glimpse into the possible future)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are so many variables. If we don't win the superbowl, why? Was it poor coaching? Did the refs screw us? Did Manning get hurt? Did Rahim the dream Moore let another WR score a TD leading to a loss?

1 in 4 sounds nice, but it's nowhere near that simple. There are so many variables between now and then.

Plus, there are no options for both coaches staying, or neither coach staying. Those are possibilities as well.

Comment

If players can lose their job as a result of an injury (Alex Smith with SF for example) then so can a HC.

Of course, it would have to take an almost perfect storm of perfection for that to occur. Winning the Super Bowl wouldn't be enough. This team was tracking towards that goal before Fox went down.

I'm pretty sure that Del Rio would need to perform three miracles between now and when Fox is ready to come back for Jack to supplant him as HC next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
        There are so many variables. If we don't win the superbowl, why? Was it poor coaching? Did the refs screw us? Did Manning get hurt? Did Rahim the dream Moore let another WR score a TD leading to a loss?

1 in 4 sounds nice, but it's nowhere near that simple. There are so many variables between now and then.

Plus, there are no options for both coaches staying, or neither coach staying. Those are possibilities as well.
        I believe that both coaches staying is a likely option. Fox will probably be back around the end of the regular season, say week 16. He and Del Rio will probably both take some of the HC responsibilities through the regular season and playoffs, if for no other reason than to have continuity.

Assuming we go to & win the Super bowl, THEN the possibility of FOX retiring becomes a point that may come up. If we fail to make it to the Bowl It also is a possibility. But if we do or don't win the super bowl and FOX wants to stay ( assuming Manning also continues to play) then it is likely that Del Rio is going to get Several good HC offers from other teams. If Elway wants to retain him it may be a matter of pay, title , and the promise that Del Rio is the HC after Fox retires, and a certain time limit on that. Plus the possibility of going for a repeat title next year, at which point Manning would probably hang it up and go out on top, unless he feels he can get a three-peat, and that his game has not regressed.

These are conversations that will not be made public, so we can speculate all day and night with nothing accomplished.

For now I am just glad that we have both Fox and Del Rio, along with Manning. The
        Future is not written.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
          By your math - we have a 50% chance of winning the Superbowl.

There's this word called context. Look it up.

If we were playing in the superbowl, yes, we would have a 50% chance of winning. So the 4 options I listed were true. It's assuming we are in the Superbowl. That's the entire point of this thread. It's not, if JDR lost in the 1st round, or if Fox came back and we lost in the 2nd round. The ENTIRE premise to this post is about being in the Superbowl. and winning it. If we don't even make it, hell a ton of things could happen. Fox could get fired (if he was back) or not, etc. The discussion is a possible glimpse into the FUTURE. Those words were used in the title. What would you do if you were Elway and this scenario played out. Those 4 options were just to point out that it's a fate that isn't as far fetched as some think. I think most of the reply's that are not delving into discussion are because they just don't want to go that far into the future and think about it, that so many things could happen well before that point. Which are all good and true. This is just playing around and thinking into the future about something that could happen and what would you think the Broncos would do, or what would you do.

Comment

I could see Fox retiring in which case Del Rio very likely inherits the job. But otherwise ZONA, your scenario is very, very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by delany View Post
              If players can lose their job as a result of an injury (Alex Smith with SF for example) then so can a HC.

Of course, it would have to take an almost perfect storm of perfection for that to occur. Winning the Super Bowl wouldn't be enough. This team was tracking towards that goal before Fox went down.

I'm pretty sure that Del Rio would need to perform three miracles between now and when Fox is ready to come back for Jack to supplant him as HC next year.
              3 miracles? But you said in you're very first line that a HC could lose his job as a result of illness/injury, especially if interim HC wins the Superbowl. I would not discount how important winning the big show is worth. I could totally see a few different thoughts bouncing around Elway's head if we won the Superbowl with JDR as interim HC. Of course, the one being that JDR just proved to me, with the right talent, he's capable of winning the big show as a HC. 2, Fox had heart surgery, how much longer do I expect this guy to coach, and at the risk of losing the guy who just proved he can get it done. All sorts of things could come across his mind. And no doubt, I'm sure the positive outlook on Fox would come across as well. The guy is a winning HC, we get along, he's recovering well, etc. My point is it's definitely most likely that Elway would at least entertain the thought of replacing Fox as HC if JDR did win it all as the interim HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                I could see Fox retiring in which case Del Rio very likely inherits the job. But otherwise ZONA, your scenario is very, very unlikely.
                How very? Very unlikely we win the Superbowl? Very unlikely Fox doesn't return? Very unlikely if both of those happened that Fox would retire or that Elway would replace Fox if JDR was the HC while winning the Superbowl?

Listen - I don't think it's unrealistic AT ALL to think that Fox could be away from the game for the rest of the year. Nor do I think it's unrealistic that we could win the Superbowl. Only then does my question come into play. What would Elway do at that point. He certainly could keep Fox as the HC. I think you realistically understand you lose JDR to somebody else at that point. I think Elway could see the future with JDR as HC, knowing that Fox has already had 1 heart surgery, how long could this guy keep going.

See, I just don't see all of this as that unrealistic at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                  How very? Very unlikely we win the Superbowl? Very unlikely Fox doesn't return? Very unlikely if both of those happened that Fox would retire or that Elway would replace Fox if JDR was the HC while winning the Superbowl?

Listen - I don't think it's unrealistic AT ALL to think that Fox could be away from the game for the rest of the year. Nor do I think it's unrealistic that we could win the Superbowl. Only then does my question come into play. What would Elway do at that point. He certainly could keep Fox as the HC. I think you realistically understand you lose JDR to somebody else at that point. I think Elway could see the future with JDR as HC, knowing that Fox has already had 1 heart surgery, how long could this guy keep going.

See, I just don't see all of this as that unrealistic at all.
                  It's very unlikely that Fox loses his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                    It's very unlikely that Fox loses his job.
                    Stranger things have happened my friend. When you're the HC on the field and holding up that Lombardi trophy, that's a powerful message. Especially when you're a younger coach and they guy you're filling in for is older and just had heart surgery.

Hey, it's all good. Fox very well could be here next year, we'll still roll no matter what. Honestly, I just really hope like hell PM wants to go at it again. Let's face it, he's the guy making this whole thing work so well.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                      But she wasn't coaching an NFL team and putting in 70 hour work weeks with all the stress you could ever want.

Let's not compare a retired grandma to an NFL coach. And, all the reports say it could be 4-8 weeks, maybe longer. So it's not out of the question it could take that long. Everybody is not the same, their situations are not the same.
                      Care to make a wager 6 weeks or less

Comment

holy ****, how is this close? didn't jdr start 0-8 his last year in jacksonville? dude would show up late for work.. guy is all hair-do and leather jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
                          holy ****, how is this close? didn't jdr start 0-8 his last year in jacksonville? dude would show up late for work.. guy is all hair-do and leather jacket.
                          I voted for Fox, but he won two games his last year in Carolina, so comparing records doesn't mean much when your front office sucks.

Comment

for all we know, if the Broncos are on a huge roll, Fox will see it...and maybe he decides he'll retire. He'll still get a SB ring, and having that elusive title might be all he needs to say he's got nothing left to prove as a head coach.

Comment

Fox is only 58...

Look at that smile: That smile says F-U Zona for thinking Leather JAcket Del Rio will take MY job!

Comment

I don't see a scenario whereby JDR just replaces fox unless fox retires. Even if we won the Super Bowl I think the job will be there for Fox if he wants it.

I have a bad feeling that we will probably lose JDR at the end of this season; unless we're really close to winning the SB and he wants to hang on for 1 last tilt

Comment

Working...
                                X