Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A wonderful problem to have (a glimpse into the possible future)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Fox's record, as head coach, is better than JDR's head coaching record. Del Rio has already thrown the talking point of "This is Coach Fox's team"...

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
        64 post rule ......
        You're just trying to be funny right? Obviously the 100 post rule could only apply to starting a thread - not that it was ever an enforced rule anyhow

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
          Fox has put together a great coaching staff and did a great job of delegating authority among the assistant coaches. I don’t think he will retire and give up the opportunity to become one of the best all-time coaches in Denver’s history. He could coach this team from a wheelchair if necessary. The money isn’t too bad either.

JDR would be a great replacement if Fox has any complications from the heart surgery but if Fox returns JDR will be a head coach somewhere else in the league.
          I'm in no way saying Fox hasn't done a good job of putting together a great staff but he wasn't the only one involved in who the assistant coaches were going to be. You can't lump all the credit on his plate, Elway had a great deal of input as well. And a wheelchair isn't required. Fox didn't suffer a broken leg. The heart is seriously sensitive to extreme emotional stress. An NFL coach who puts in 70 hour weeks takes a heavy toll. These guys are very strong willed and strong minded but they are human. He could make a full recovery or it could be something where he (and his family) might think it's better to either retire or take some extended time away. You never know. Money sometimes has something to do with a decision but not as likely as the guy who doesn't have a healthy nest egg. But you are right. Unless this team under JDR tanks a whole slew of games and doesn't make the playoffs, he most likely is gone next year, if Fox returns.

But it's an interesting complex situation if Fox doesn't return and JDR did win it all. I don't think you could, for a single moment, say the idea of keeping JDR as the HC wouldn't cross the mind of Elway. He may only give it a moments thought, but still I highly doubt he would just dismiss it entirely as 1 of his options going into 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
            Oh I get it you are assuming if we don't make JDR our HC some other team will make him their head coach so whomever we chose we automatically lose the other? Right.
            I think that there's a fairly high chance of this happening - especially if we play well down the stretch

Comment

Originally posted by FireFly View Post
              I think that there's a fairly high chance of this happening - especially if we play well down the stretch
              JDR may not want the HC gig again. It's a pretty sweet deal working in Denver with this team as long as Manning sticks around.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                Fox's record, as head coach, is better than JDR's head coaching record. Del Rio has already thrown the talking point of "This is Coach Fox's team"...
                This topic isn't only about Fox not being able to return, it's about him possibly not wanting to return. You can't simply leave that out of the equation. His emtions are high right now but sometimes as time goes by you think about things more. It's not as if people never change their minds. And please, what in the hell else would you expect JDR to say at this time? Of course he's going to say it's Foxes team, that's because it is. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. The topic is about at the end of the year, if JDR was the HC and won it all, what would things look like from there on, not what they look like right now. If Elway came to JDR at the end of the season and asked him to stay on as the HC, you think he's still going to say "nope, sorry, this is Fox's team". Dream on dude.

Comment

I feel like the collective IQ of this board somehow dropped overnight or something

Comment

Don't worry Timmy's got this one
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                      This topic isn't only about Fox not being able to return, it's about him possibly not wanting to return. You can't simply leave that out of the equation. His emtions are high right now but sometimes as time goes by you think about things more. It's not as if people never change their minds. And please, what in the hell else would you expect JDR to say at this time? Of course he's going to say it's Foxes team, that's because it is. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. The topic is about at the end of the year, if JDR was the HC and won it all, what would things look like from there on, not what they look like right now. If Elway came to JDR at the end of the season and asked him to stay on as the HC, you think he's still going to say "nope, sorry, this is Fox's team". Dream on dude.
                      In that case, the correct answer is obvious. If Fox doesn't want to return, and we have the ultimate success with JDR, I think Elway will trust Del Rio to take over...

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                        I feel like the collective IQ of this board somehow dropped overnight or something

I’m thinking multiple concussions

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                          JDR may not want the HC gig again. It's a pretty sweet deal working in Denver with this team as long as Manning sticks around.
                          Right. If he is the interim HC and Fox didn't come back, and he won the Superbowl, you're suggesting he may not want to be the HC? Now, it could happen, you're right, anything is possible. But that would be a huge spring board for him to land a big time HC gig somewhere. More money, more control. I think he would go for it rather then just stay a DC.

Regardless, if PM stays another year, I think we could lose JDR and bring in another guy and we'd still be a great team I think. I just find it to be a very unusual scenario and one that is worth discussing. How many times does an interim HC win the Superbowl? Not often. But in this case, it has a really decent chance of happening. The original HC having heart surgery at mid season. People can say oh it's not that big of a deal. Ok, whatever. It's still friggin heart surgery, you know. Many things could be possible. It's never a terrible thing to think of a few difference scenarios that could easily play out.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post

Why, because you can't understand why we would be willing to discuss (on a casual chat forum) a scenario that has a 1 in 4 chance of happening. Yup, we're all just so delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                              Why, because you can't understand why we would be willing to discuss (on a casual chat forum) a scenario that has a 1 in 4 chance of happening. Yup, we're all just so delusional.
                              By your math - we have a 50% chance of winning the Superbowl.

Comment

Zona, if it is any consolation, I get your point. And it is a good thought provoking one. I just don't know, I think Fox will be back in 3 or 4 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X