Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A wonderful problem to have (a glimpse into the possible future)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wonderful problem to have (a glimpse into the possible future)

I was just thinking, looking into the possible future for a moment, and thought about a very realistic situation the Broncos could find themselves in next year. Yes there are alot of "if's" but it's also not that unrealistic to be honest. In fact, there's a very good chance this could actually happen.

Let's say that Fox needs 8 weeks to recover (the rest of the regular season). The Broncos go either 8-0, 7-1 or even 6-2 with JDR and have secured a #1 or #2 seed. The Broncos are playing well and heading into the playoffs. Now I for one, think it would not be a smart thing to do bringing back Fox to coach in the playoffs if he indeed misses the rest of the regular season. I would think you want to have things pretty normal at that point. Yes Fox was the HC to start the season and you're forced to have JDR as the HC right now due to the illness of Fox. But 2 months is a long time. If JDR has this team playing successful football heading into the playoffs, bring Fox back at that moment could disrupt things, even if only slightly. But that's all it takes to possibly lose a game, and in the playoffs, that's all it takes for the dream to quickly fade. It's nothing like an interim HC taking over in the middle of the season. There's time to work some things out, make adjustments. So for argument sake, let's just say the Broncos feel the same way and suggest to Fox that taking his time for recovery is the best thing and JDR is the HC going into the playoffs. Let's say the Broncos win the Superbowl under JDR as interim HC.

Now what do you do? I know, an excellent problem to have right. You just won the Superbowl, everything is gravy. But if you're Elway, what's your next move for the following season? If you don't keep JDR as the full time HC, he is gone. No if's, maybe's or but's about it. He will be the HC of an elite university or even another NFL team. He will not be your DC next year.

So, do you bring back Fox as the HC, or do you ride the wave of winning momentum that just earned you a Superbowl title and retain JDR as the HC?

Keep in mind - 1 of these 4 scenarios WILL happen.

* Fox comes back and we win the Superbowl
    * Fox comes back and we don't win the Superbowl
    * Fox doesn't come back and we win the Superbowl
    * Fox doesn't come back and we don't win the Superbowl
    Fox
    71.43%
    JDR
    28.57%
    Last edited by ZONA; 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	are-you-serious-wtf-meme-baby-face.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2350678

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
        [ATTACH]33129[/ATTACH]

Comment

Lets just get through the next couple weeks.

As the Colts proved last year it was Pagano's team to the point where they let Arian's go to a new team.

I don't see much changing in Denver unless Fox decides to make the move to step down.

I really hate having to make a big change like this during the middle of the season facing our toughest stretch of the year.

Comment

Comment

Bad thread Zona, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                Bad thread Zona, sorry.
                No need to apologize. You're allowed your opinion. I think a thread bump come February will be 100% expected if this goes down as I see it and then we'll see just how silly it is.

Comment

The surgery Fox had is not an 8 week recovery period, your post is invalid. My grandmother had the exact same thing, except she also has a triple bypass at the same time and she was in her mid 80's and she was walking that same evening and out of the hospital in 4 days.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox retire at the end of the year and JDR take over

Comment

Originally posted by OBF1 View Post
                      The surgery Fox had is not an 8 week recovery period, your post is invalid. My grandmother had the exact same thing, except she also has a triple bypass at the same time and she was in her mid 80's and she was walking that same evening and out of the hospital in 4 days.
                      But she wasn't coaching an NFL team and putting in 70 hour work weeks with all the stress you could ever want.

Let's not compare a retired grandma to an NFL coach. And, all the reports say it could be 4-8 weeks, maybe longer. So it's not out of the question it could take that long. Everybody is not the same, their situations are not the same.

Comment

this is a very stupid poll. yeah, let's look at switching out our HC who is 20-5 the last 2 years and has won back to back Division titles, just because he had a heart issue that he knew about but planned to have taken care of in the offseason. I like JDR, but as a coordinator. I see him as a better Wade Phillips. He is a really awesome coordinator, and a solid coach. While Fox at times has shown the occasional head scratcher moments, he is a great coach that players love to play for.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_Eli View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox retire at the end of the year and JDR take over
                          64 post rule ......

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
                            this is a very stupid poll. yeah, let's look at switching out our HC who is 20-5 the last 2 years and has won back to back Division titles, just because he had a heart issue that he knew about but planned to have taken care of in the offseason. I like JDR, but as a coordinator. I see him as a better Wade Phillips. He is a really awesome coordinator, and a solid coach. While Fox at times has shown the occasional head scratcher moments, he is a great coach that players love to play for.
                            But you're judging things as they are right now. I just said, what if this played out that say Fox didn't make it back this year. That could happen, let's not pretend it's out of the question. The Broncos are a great team and have a very lagit shot at winning it all. If JDR is the coach during this entire process all the way through to winning the Superbowl, you're still going to say he's only just a good coordinator? So don't look at how things are now, think of this scenario happening and then how do you look at JDR?

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                              64 post rule ......
                              He's already said before his account got deleted, he's made many more posts then that.

Comment

Working...
                              X