Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trends in the preseason - we have a normal offense

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trends in the preseason - we have a normal offense

    So it's always weird reading the theme the Mane takes away after games. I frequently find major issues that develop or progress are ignored for one or two hot topics on here. If you didn't watch the game and only read the forums you wouldn't think anything has improved and the corners gave up seven passing TD's. Here's the recurrent trends I've noticed.
    • The offensive line looks solid. Even without Leary, we seem to have settled into a pretty stable line that is giving players time and opening lanes in the running game. One of the biggest issues for us the past several years, Elway has thrown free agents and draft picks at the position and it's paying off. A unit of five people isn't fixed overnight, but for all crap a few people like to give Elway the GM around here, He's addressed that issue.
    • Our offense is balanced and creative. We have a normal NFL offense. We aren't turning the ball over. We're running and passing effectively, and we're converting third downs. I like how we're putting ourselves in a position for success by getting to third and short. Those kinds of things are indicative of an offense that is clicking.
    • Rookie offensive players look good. Sutton reminds me of Brandon Marshall his rookie year. Butt is starting to make some plays. Royce has issues reading the holes, but he's starting to have success. And what a story Phillip Lindsay is in terms of versatility. We have some great young players at these positions.
    • The defense has been playing well. For all the whining about some broken coverage in the secondary, the Redskins had negative passing yardage in the first quarter, and they failed to convert a single third down the entire game. It was Alex Smith, and I won't disagree a vet corner would help communication out quite a bit, but it's not as dire as some of you suggest.
    • Gap discipline and interior runs continue to be an issue. Sometimes they stop them, and sometimes they give up big gains. This has been recurrent enough for me to expect it to be an issue at least for awhile. Something to work towards and keep an eye on.
    • Special teams has been consistent. No fumbles yet and some great coverage. McManus Has been good in field goals and kickoffs. And King is bossing the punts. I am nervous about McKenzie, so that's an issue, but overall very good.


    Anyway it is starting to look decent. Which is not something you could say last year with eyeball test or the record. It's obviously early, but this strong draft class and what appears to be a somewhat more cohesive unit looks promising.

    I share everyone's concerns regarding the coaching staff. Joseph seems like a guy who says the right things but doesn't push his players enough. However I have to give him credit because the issues he's talked about they are working on. Looking forward to watching this young team grow this year. I bet this is a team that will start to bloom as the season goes on and will be fun to watch, even with Brohemoth and Ags complaining all along the way.

  • #2
    VJ has deserves the criticism but to be fair he was a rookie coach with below average experience to begin with. Maybe he's working his way back. This time last year, Doug Pederson was a hated man in Philly.

    The o-line gelling would be so so so huge. Not being able to convert on third and short has been a problem for years.

    Comment


    • #3
      Great post Khan.
      I also really think Musgrave and Kubiak have helped immensely with Radio.
      He's not looking quite as lost.
      Musgrave really seems to have Keenum and Kelly locked in. I really like that Musgrave has a very successful history with QBs. You can see it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I put stock in the idea of him not getting his staff he wants. I'm lukewarm on Joe Woods, but not sour. I believe if VJ was more hands on with Woods and his game plan we might see some improvements. VJ doesn't have a lot of wiggle room this season. But so far there's some evidence of things trending the right direction.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
          So it's always weird reading the theme the Mane takes away after games. I frequently find major issues that develop or progress are ignored for one or two hot topics on here. If you didn't watch the game and only read the forums you wouldn't think anything has improved and the corners gave up seven passing TD's. Here's the recurrent trends I've noticed.
          • The offensive line looks solid. Even without Leary, we seem to have settled into a pretty stable line that is giving players time and opening lanes in the running game. One of the biggest issues for us the past several years, Elway has thrown free agents and draft picks at the position and it's paying off. A unit of five people isn't fixed overnight, but for all crap a few people like to give Elway the GM around here, He's addressed that issue.
          • Our offense is balanced and creative. We have a normal NFL offense. We aren't turning the ball over. We're running and passing effectively, and we're converting third downs. I like how we're putting ourselves in a position for success by getting to third and short. Those kinds of things are indicative of an offense that is clicking.
          • Rookie offensive players look good. Sutton reminds me of Brandon Marshall his rookie year. Butt is starting to make some plays. Royce has issues reading the holes, but he's starting to have success. And what a story Phillip Lindsay is in terms of versatility. We have some great young players at these positions.
          • The defense has been playing well. For all the whining about some broken coverage in the secondary, the Redskins had negative passing yardage in the first quarter, and they failed to convert a single third down the entire game. It was Alex Smith, and I won't disagree a vet corner would help communication out quite a bit, but it's not as dire as some of you suggest.
          • Gap discipline and interior runs continue to be an issue. Sometimes they stop them, and sometimes they give up big gains. This has been recurrent enough for me to expect it to be an issue at least for awhile. Something to work towards and keep an eye on.
          • Special teams has been consistent. No fumbles yet and some great coverage. McManus Has been good in field goals and kickoffs. And King is bossing the punts. I am nervous about McKenzie, so that's an issue, but overall very good.


          Anyway it is starting to look decent. Which is not something you could say last year with eyeball test or the record. It's obviously early, but this strong draft class and what appears to be a somewhat more cohesive unit looks promising.

          I share everyone's concerns regarding the coaching staff. Joseph seems like a guy who says the right things but doesn't push his players enough. However I have to give him credit because the issues he's talked about they are working on. Looking forward to watching this young team grow this year. I bet this is a team that will start to bloom as the season goes on and will be fun to watch, even with Brohemoth and Ags complaining all along the way.
          Good points, Kaylore. I echoed your statement on Sutton just now in another thread prior to reading this. I think he's Brandon Marshall with less ability to break tackles but also way less maturity issues and i will take the latter over the former every day of the week.

          I like that we are doing modern NFL things, like throwing easy passes to HBs on wheel routes. We saw it with Case last night on a good pass to Lindsay and we also saw the same route with Kelly throwing to Henderson (and i think also with Lynch throwing to that guy we are going to cut). It's the kind of stuff that the Chargers and Chiefs have been doing to us for years now while we were still trying to throw vanilla routes to wide receivers all day.

          Comment


          • #6
            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/casekeenum?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@casekeenum</a> went to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fedexfield?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#fede xfield</a> and put on a show. Everyone ate. Impressive performance. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/daUGym0nud">pic.twitter.com/daUGym0nud</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033341260533260289?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rolls_royce21?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rolls_royce21</a> has been making these runs look routine. What a promising rookie class this can be. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/yXrAG1yucc">pic.twitter.com/yXrAG1yucc</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033338635767177217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SuttonCourtland?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SuttonCourtl and</a> has star potential and this catch has been a daily routine in the mile high city this summer. The future is bright. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/4VfMhYrAtg">pic.twitter.com/4VfMhYrAtg</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033337569336016896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post
              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/casekeenum?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@casekeenum</a> went to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fedexfield?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#fede xfield</a> and put on a show. Everyone ate. Impressive performance. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/daUGym0nud">pic.twitter.com/daUGym0nud</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033341260533260289?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rolls_royce21?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rolls_royce21</a> has been making these runs look routine. What a promising rookie class this can be. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/yXrAG1yucc">pic.twitter.com/yXrAG1yucc</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033338635767177217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SuttonCourtland?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SuttonCourtl and</a> has star potential and this catch has been a daily routine in the mile high city this summer. The future is bright. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/4VfMhYrAtg">pic.twitter.com/4VfMhYrAtg</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033337569336016896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
              Man.. that makes your hair stand up.

              Comment


              • #8
                Musgrave's Inside Zone Blocking has a cleaner execution then the neutered Outside Zone Blocking they used with Dennison.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Insightful commentary! The 54K poster tops himself once more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                    Musgrave's Inside Zone Blocking has a cleaner execution then the neutered Outside Zone Blocking they used with Dennison.
                    Better OL coaching helps.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by R8R H8R View Post
                      Better OL coaching helps.
                      yes it does & Broncos have 2.. 1 for the run blocking & 1 for the pass blocking

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by socalorado View Post
                        Great post Khan.
                        I also really think Musgrave and Kubiak have helped immensely with Radio.
                        He's not looking quite as lost.
                        Musgrave really seems to have Keenum and Kelly locked in. I really like that Musgrave has a very successful history with QBs. You can see it.
                        I agree, and think it would be stupid not console with Kubiak. It also helps that he doesn’t have to babysit rookie coordinators either. A rookie coach combined with a rookie ST’s coach & DC, and add in a crappy offense, and you have a recipe for disaster that was manifested.

                        The new assistant coaches seem to be already paying dividends. The OL, incl the 2nd team, are vastly improved, and that’s coaching. The new wr’s are all getting involved, and yes that is better talent, but good coaching gets them up to speed quickly. Sanders and his coach butted heads early on this year, but now he says he is willing to play the slot more often. His coach sold him on it, and Sanders now sees why it’s in his best interest to do so.

                        The real test is going to be after a loss or two. How does he handle it? If the Broncos go into another 5 game or more losing streak again, then that will tell us all we need to know, and he will be replaced. Hopefully, that doesn’t happen.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by i4jelway7 View Post
                          yes it does & Broncos have 2.. 1 for the run blocking & 1 for the pass blocking
                          Yes, and it’s hard to believe that it isn’t the norm. You have ILB coaches along with OLB coaches, but only one OL coach? The blocking techiniques are vastly different for tackles as it is for the interior guys. It only makes sense.

                          I guess the concern would be the communication. But Kruglar said the entire OL is in the same meeting room, so that fixes that problem. If the Broncos have significant success with this, then it may be something the rest of the league does.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GoneFishin' View Post
                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/casekeenum?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@casekeenum</a> went to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/fedexfield?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#fede xfield</a> and put on a show. Everyone ate. Impressive performance. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/daUGym0nud">pic.twitter.com/daUGym0nud</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033341260533260289?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rolls_royce21?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@rolls_royce21</a> has been making these runs look routine. What a promising rookie class this can be. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/yXrAG1yucc">pic.twitter.com/yXrAG1yucc</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033338635767177217?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Broncos?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@broncos</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SuttonCourtland?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SuttonCourtl and</a> has star potential and this catch has been a daily routine in the mile high city this summer. The future is bright. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BaldyBreakdowns?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"> #BaldyBreakdowns</a> <a href="https://t.co/4VfMhYrAtg">pic.twitter.com/4VfMhYrAtg</a></p>&mdash; Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1033337569336016896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                            We saw 7-9 three years in a row in New Orleans then boom all star rookie class and playoffs and a dangerous team in 2017.

                            Can happen here in Denver

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm still very worried about the O line. That's probably the one unit that I think is still shaky. They're relying on a lot of hope. They're hoping that Bolles takes a major step forward, even though the camp reports haven't been glowing. They're hoping that McGovern is more than a backup guard. They're hoping that Leary's knee holds up. It looks like Garcia is going to get a lot of playing time this year.

                              Last year as a unit the O line sucked. Heading into this year three of the five starters were starters last year. Four of the projected starters were on the team last year. So the personnel isn't much different, but we're expecting better results. So I'm still worried.

                              They've looked good during the preseason, but it's just preseason. Lets see how they look when they see some real defensive game plans.

                              With all that said, I do think that the O line will be better because there is a competent quarterback playing behind them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X